Russians older than advertised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Why were many Russians passed by in the draft? McKeen's has an interesting theory...

They say a lot of the Russians (60-70%) are said to have false birthdates, and are most likely older than is said. One player who they say is "almost certainly older than listed" is Viktor Alexandrov, who may have been born as early as 1983, they speculate.

I found this extremely interesting.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Reveille said:
Viktor is Kazakh.
Yes, which McKeen's says is even more reason to not believe his birthdate.

(BTW, he was born in Kazakhstan, but he considers himself Russian, and will play for Russia in the future.)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Seachd said:
Why were many Russians passed by in the draft? McKeen's has an interesting theory...

They say a lot of the Russians (60-70%) are said to have false birthdates, and are most likely older than is said. One player who they say is "almost certainly older than listed" is Viktor Alexandrov, who may have been born as early as 1983, they speculate.

This rumor came out last year around this time with Andrei Kastsitsyn. Don't know where it comes from, just that I heard it last year. If they can play good hockey, I'm not concerned.

capman29

Fleury14 said:
As it turns out, Ovechkin is actually 28, not 18.

But he is still better than anything that you have!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
montreal said:
This rumor came out last year around this time with Andrei Kastsitsyn. Don't know where it comes from, just that I heard it last year. If they can play good hockey, I'm not concerned.

Why? A year or two difference in age is a MAJOR element in trying to project a player's potential. If Alexandrov is really 18, he's a good prospect. If he's 20, he should have achieved much more by now and should be considered a mediocre prospect.

On the converse, imagine if Ovechkin was playing at his current level but was only 16! He'd be even that much more of a great prospect.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Seachd said:

I've said it on other threads and I will say it again: take every information that comes out of Russian (or former soviet union countries) with a huge grain of salt.

Height, weight, age, stats. There's plenty of bull****. A sad state of affair but these countries are still struggling and there is rampant corruption, lies and poor control.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Voodoo said:
I hope this is dealt with before it becomes a serious problem.
Baseball has similar issues with Cubans and Dominicans and it's a joke.

Exactly. It's a major problem in baseball especially with those Cubans. Orlando Hernandez is the classic example. His vital numbers were a complete mystery. For all we know he could have been going through menopause when he landed with the Yankees.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
steblick said:
Why? A year or two difference in age is a MAJOR element in trying to project a player's potential. If Alexandrov is really 18, he's a good prospect. If he's 20, he should have achieved much more by now and should be considered a mediocre prospect.

On the converse, imagine if Ovechkin was playing at his current level but was only 16! He'd be even that much more of a great prospect.

I only meant in terms of Kastsitsyn, as I was very impressed with his play reguardless of him being 18 or 20 at the time he was drafted.

As for others, who knows what the truth is. If Alexandrov is an '83, I agree he should have achieved more, plus he would have lost 2 years of adding something to his frame cause he's very skinny.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
steblick said:

Interestingly, I am of the opinion that much of the hype around Ovechkin is due to what he did accomplish as a 16-17 years old. He has not progressed all that much and is currently not worthy of the ultra-hype surrounding him.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Til the End of Time said:
Typically I would stay clear of such things, but the one guy is a unabashed homer and needed a response.

unbashed? visit the trade board my friend :)

n00dles

Dec 13, 2003
Germany
Visit site
HabLover said:
Yes it's true.........Igor Larionov is actually 74 yrs old, but doesn't look a day over 40!!
Must be that vodka-thing I keep hearing about, freshens your skin, strengthens your body and increases your foot speed.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Vlad The Impaler said:
Interestingly, I am of the opinion that much of the hype around Ovechkin is due to what he did accomplish as a 16-17 years old. He has not progressed all that much and is currently not worthy of the ultra-hype surrounding him.

My thought as well, although I suspect his birthdate is pretty solid seeing as he has somewhat famous parents in the Russian sporting world.

FINNtastic

Apr 24, 2004
Stevex said:
How are Ovechkin's parents famous? Im curious..

His mother, Tatiana, was the captain of the 1976 and 1980 gold-medal-winning women’s basketball team for the former Soviet Union in the Summer Olympic Games. His father, Mikhail, played professional soccer with the Moscow Dynamo team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad