Russian players-why not to worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHLCommish

Apr 9, 2004
This could be for European players as well. I definitely think that they will all be over here sooner or later, probably sooner, the top prospects anyways. If the cap will indeed grow as revenues grow, it would be a piss poor financial decision to stay in Russia or Europe even one more year. For stars like Malkin and Ovechkin, who have the potential to be top players in the NHL, as revenues grow they could get up to 9/10 million dollar contracts in five or six years, something they couldn't ever touch in Russia. Sure you have to bite the bullet for a few seasons, but with 4 year contracts, the bonuses are definitely reachable. Add in the much better lifestyle and lure of North America, and I think it will be no problem getting most of these guys over.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Yeah, and what about when they are negotiating their second contract, and they say give me free agent money or I play in Russia for half as much? Or how about the nonsense dealing with the transfer fees and the Russian Army?

Roy G Biv*

MojoJojo said:
Yeah, and what about when they are negotiating their second contract, and they say give me free agent money or I play in Russia for half as much? Or how about the nonsense dealing with the transfer fees and the Russian Army?

ie. Volchenkov

Roy G Biv*

The problems will come with young RFA's. If they ever feel like they aren't being paid fairly, they can threaten to play in Russia for a better or equal salary. This will inflate payrolls if GM's submit or trade them to another GM who will submit.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
MojoJojo said:
Or how about the nonsense dealing with the transfer fees and the Russian Army?

Or how about a Russian club letting their players to develop for free - our kids don't pay for uniforms, sticks, ice plactices, or anything, - and then, after deveoping a player for 15 years and spending thousands of dollars on him, to lose him for almost nothing. Or how about respecting other country's contract laws and not signing a player who is under a contract in another country. Or, alternatively, how about changing the system, and letting Europeans clubs to do the same to NHL (and AHL) clubs and players.

IIHF sucks and is totally controlled by NHL. :madfire:

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
BHLCommish said:
This could be for European players as well. I definitely think that they will all be over here sooner or later, probably sooner, the top prospects anyways. If the cap will indeed grow as revenues grow, it would be a piss poor financial decision to stay in Russia or Europe even one more year. For stars like Malkin and Ovechkin, who have the potential to be top players in the NHL, as revenues grow they could get up to 9/10 million dollar contracts in five or six years, something they couldn't ever touch in Russia. Sure you have to bite the bullet for a few seasons, but with 4 year contracts, the bonuses are definitely reachable. Add in the much better lifestyle and lure of North America, and I think it will be no problem getting most of these guys over.
IF they grow...
And if they grow they might not skyrocket, they would be growing slowly, so it might not be making a big difference. The "much better lifestyle" is just your opinion and is nothing but that.. I'm sure most of the people feel good at theplace they have grown up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad