Olympics: Russian Fans Protest US Embassy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Apparently Russian fans are threatening the Ref who made the no-goal call in the US-Russia Game.

18protest-master675.jpg

"Turn the referee into soap!"

After a heated U.S.-Russia hockey match at the Sochi Olympics on Saturday, many Russian spectators have decided the cold war is back -- and not just on the ice.

Demonstrators gathered in Moscow on Monday to protest a official's call disallowing a goal by Russia late in regulation of a game ultimately won by the U.S. in a penalty shootout.

Russian fans are angry a goal was disallowed late in Saturday's preliminary round game after U.S. goalie Jonathan Quick knocked the net off its mooring.
The protesters, organized by a Kremlin party youth group, donned Russian hockey jerseys and shouted, "Make soap out of the ref!" -- a common expression among Russian soccer fans.

"Turn to soap" is in reference to killing someone and turning their body into soap.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/...ey-fans-protest-disallowed-goal-united-states

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Well that escalated quickly...

Seriously, I was upset at the call. That said, it is technically part of the rules, so it was the correct call.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What a jokesters :laugh: Making such fuss about the call which was correct in the Olympics organized by their own country :laugh:

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Well that escalated quickly...

Seriously, I was upset at the call. That said, it is technically part of the rules, so it was the correct call.

I agree. You could certainly argue that it was on purpose. If anything, the rule needs to be changed to account for that.

But what they don't seem to realize, is that loss gave them a much easier road to gold.
They get to skip out on playing Switzerland, the US, and Canada until the gold medal game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad