Russian Chant Question from an Ignorant American

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, it's the same word for racket, bat, stick, club, mallet depending on the sport at least in Finnish.

In general, Finnish has far fewer words than English does. And that's why translating between the two can be a total pain in the ass because English is going to have 4 different words that all mean a different thing whereas Finnish is going to have just one translation for all of them.

And for Finnish to Russian, maila - клюшка, maila - бита, maila - ракетка

PenDuhNotPittsburgh

May 13, 2017
Krefeld
So they say Sandwich? :sarcasm:
Butterbrot is a pretty ridiculous word that I've never actually heard in real conversations / interactions (in German, I mean).
Although, perhaps it's a regional thing.

Migrated from Kazakhstan so I speak both languages and both Russians and Germans say Butterbrot pretty much the same way just Russians rolling the r more. There are also other words for sandwich in germany that are used regionaly like Stulle, Schnitte, Bemme etc. diverse country^^

Russians also borrowed Schlagbaum (barrier), Maßstab(benchmark) and a bunch of their militery ranks (Gefreiter) from Germans

PenDuhNotPittsburgh

May 13, 2017
Krefeld
It's kinda funny that the English word for 'a (hockey) stick' is... well, just 'a stick', literally "a long slender piece of wood or metal" (Merriam Webster dict.). In Russia we have a distinct word for this thing - 'клюшка'. I think in other languages - Finnish, German, Swedish, Czech, French, etc - this is the case too? Anybody?

Either Schläger bat/racket or Stock in German. Guess Stock should be obvious

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
It's kinda funny that the English word for 'a (hockey) stick' is... well, just 'a stick', literally "a long slender piece of wood or metal" (Merriam Webster dict.). In Russia we have a distinct word for this thing - 'клюшка'. I think in other languages - Finnish, German, Swedish, Czech, French, etc - this is the case too? Anybody?

In swedish it's "hockeyklubba" or "klubba" for short. Made just like "golf club", klubba can be part of other composite words like: "spikklubba"-"spiked club" or "godisklubba (candy club)"-"lollipop".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad