Russian Chant Question from an Ignorant American

dan716

Jan 11, 2010
As a Buffalo guy, I've been to a bunch of the WJC games, 3 of which have been Russian games (including the Finland quarterfinal). I've had the pleasure of sitting near a bunch of awesome Russian fans, who have been doing a two primary chants. One of them is obvious (ROOS-EE-YAH), but the other sounds like SCHI-BORE, and they tend to do it when Russian has the puck in the attacking zone. My friends and I have been wondering what they've been saying and what it means, can anyone enlighten us? Thanks!

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
As a Buffalo guy, I've been to a bunch of the WJC games, 3 of which have been Russian games (including the Finland quarterfinal). I've had the pleasure of sitting near a bunch of awesome Russian fans, who have been doing a two primary chants. One of them is obvious (ROOS-EE-YAH), but the other sounds like SCHI-BORE, and they tend to do it when Russian has the puck in the attacking zone. My friends and I have been wondering what they've been saying and what it means, can anyone enlighten us? Thanks!

it's "shaybu!" shayba is a puck, shaybu - we want/need a goal.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
(ROOS-EE-YAH)

That seems to be Rossiya (Россия), which means Russia

look at wiki and listen it

Edit: My fault, you understand this word...

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
Been wondering about this too. Are you saying that "Shayba" is puck and by just adding a "U" instead of an "a" the meaning switches to "we want/need a goal"?

Edit. Sorry for bumping an old thread like that. I was looking for the 2011 whc thread and forgot I was at like at page 151....

PenDuhNotPittsburgh

May 13, 2017
Krefeld
Been wondering about this too. Are you saying that "Shayba" is puck and by just adding a "U" instead of an "a" the meaning switches to "we want/need a goal"?

Edit. Sorry for bumping an old thread like that. I was looking for the 2011 whc thread and forgot I was at like at page 151....

Nope shaybu and shayba both just mean puck. It's just bye adding the u-ending you say that you do something with the object that you add the u to. That's how it just goes in slavic languages.
In English you'd say "tell him" while in Russian you'd say "Govory emU", you'd say "beat him up" in English while in Russian you'd say "day emU".
It's just an aspect of the gramar/synthax

ilsuonatorejones

May 22, 2008
Fribourg
"Shaybu" is an accusative, i. e. a direct object; it's means that "the puck" is the object of an action: the verb and the subject are implied.

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
All in all - given the fact a literal translation is an illusion and pipe dream - we are entitled to do the following interpretation from Slavic Russian to Anglosaxian English-American:

"Shaybu!" --> "Shoot it, you moron!" :popcorn:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
All in all - given the fact a literal translation is an illusion and pipe dream - we are entitled to do the following interpretation from Slavic Russian to Anglosaxian English-American:

"Shaybu!" --> "Shoot it, you moron!" :popcorn:

More like "shoooooot".

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It's more like a short version of a phrase "we want the goal" or "we want another goal" (hotim shaibu or hotim esche odnu shaibu).

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Funny fact: шайба (shayba) is a word the Russian language borrowed from German (Scheibe = "disc"), like quite a few other terms. Another hockey-related example: штраф /shtraf ("penalty"), from German Strafe ("punishment", "penalty").

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Funny fact: шайба (shayba) is a word the Russian language borrowed from German (Scheibe = "disc"), like quite a few other terms. Another hockey-related example: штраф /shtraf ("penalty"), from German Strafe ("punishment", "penalty").

I was wondering that, too.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

The Russian language also didn't bother changing the German word for sandwich into something more Russian-sounding. It's the exact same word.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
The Russian language also didn't bother changing the German word for sandwich into something more Russian-sounding. It's the exact same word.

So they say Sandwich? :sarcasm:
Butterbrot is a pretty ridiculous word that I've never actually heard in real conversations / interactions (in German, I mean).
Although, perhaps it's a regional thing.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
You aren't ignorant for not knowing a foreign language.

Not to get nitpicky but not knowing a foreign language is the very definition of ignorance. Maybe you mean it's nothing to feel bad about or it's not a negative but not knowing something is being ignorant to it.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
So they say Sandwich? :sarcasm:
Butterbrot is a pretty ridiculous word that I've never actually heard in real conversations / interactions (in German, I mean).
Although, perhaps it's a regional thing.

I'd say it's regional, then. I mean, I am in my thirties and I don't have kids, so it's not exactly in my most active vocabulary, but I wouldn't call it a particularly unused word.

Trovatore

May 14, 2012
Moscow
It's kinda funny that the English word for 'a (hockey) stick' is... well, just 'a stick', literally "a long slender piece of wood or metal" (Merriam Webster dict.). In Russia we have a distinct word for this thing - 'клюшка'. I think in other languages - Finnish, German, Swedish, Czech, French, etc - this is the case too? Anybody?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad