Russia-USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
MOGiLNY said:
Miracle on ice?? You are kidding me, right? Nobody outside of America cares about that.. not even the Russians, they know it was a big fluke..

I don't think the cold war has much of an impact on a Russia-US hockey rivalry neither.. Might as well say that Russia and Germany are rivals because of the WWII..

Of course it was a fluke... hence the title "Miracle on Ice". It isn't like the U.S. was handed a victory, however. They earned it. You may not care about it, but I'm sure it was an awfully demoralizing loss for all of the Soviet Union at the time.

Also, World War II is 60 years young. The Cold War happened in all of our lifetimes. I'm not arguing that it has a big impact on the two teams or anything, but it is certainly still fresh in many peoples minds.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the only reason that the Americans care about the Miracle on Ice is because it's one of the only sports they don't dominate in. It's one of the few sports they were "underdogs" in so they overhype it
Canada-Russia is the best rivalry inInternational hockey. After seeing Russia mock the Americans at the end of the game, it's just more fuel for the fire...

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
e-townchamps said:
the only reason that the Americans care about the Miracle on Ice is because it's one of the only sports they don't dominate in. It's one of the few sports they were "underdogs" in so they overhype it
Canada-Russia is the best rivalry inInternational hockey. After seeing Russia mock the Americans at the end of the game, it's just more fuel for the fire...

I really don't see how it is overhyped, being that it is one of the biggest upsets in sports history.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
definitly was overhyped....that movie "Miracle" was done in normal "rah-rah" American style...it was a fluke, nothing more

the Summit Series in 72 is also overhyped

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
The reason why Russians don't usually have any animosity towards Canadians is that Canada is a fairly small (population of 30 million, I believe) and politically neutral country.. And besides, they are the disgruntled American neighbor, in a way a political ally, really.. But in terms of hockey it just happened that Canadians played it better, and since neither of the North American nations play soccer - hockey was the sport to contest in. While the strictly athletic rivalry is there, there's no political drama that would further substantiate it.

However, Americans now appear to be much better in general and Russia much weaker.. So the rivalry longed for so long is finally emerging, on every level. Just as both nations usually literally owned the Olympic Games in the past and now, something hockey-like is definitely coming about (the disputed game in Salt Lake, this tournament, WC '96, etc..)

As far as Czechs are concerned, most Russians have no beef with them; they're a fairly small country, as well. So for them - as it is probably for the Finns, as well, it's a big deal to beat Russia, especially if you add historical and political perspectives. For Russia - eh. Not that serious. There's more people living in St. Petersburg than in Finland; and more in Moscow than in Finland and Sweden put together, and more in Moscow than in whole Czech Republic. Granted, these nations play hockey much better than all these demographic statistics would indicate - still, the "rivalrous" interest soon wanes for the Russians once they put things in perspective..

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
e-townchamps said:
definitly was overhyped....that movie "Miracle" was done in normal "rah-rah" American style...it was a fluke, nothing more

Why wouldn't it be "rah-rah"? The characters in the movie won. I don't see how it could be done any other way, and it wasn't all that great of a movie. Also, I wouldn't consider it when gauging how it is hyped within the sports world.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Saprykin said:
There's more people living in St. Petersburg than in Finland; and more in Moscow than in Finland and Sweden put together, and more in Moscow than in whole Czech Republic. Granted, these nations play hockey much better than all these demographic statistics would indicate - still, the "rivalrous" interest soon wanes for the Russians once they put things in perspective..

A good post. However, are you sure about the numbers? Finland has 5.2 million people and Sweden has 8.9 million. Is Moscow really that huge :amazed:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
MOGiLNY said:
Miracle on ice?? You are kidding me, right? Nobody outside of America cares about that.. not even the Russians, they know it was a big fluke..

I don't think the cold war has much of an impact on a Russia-US hockey rivalry neither.. Might as well say that Russia and Germany are rivals because of the WWII..
You are underestimating the impact of politics. The Cold War was HUGE and it still lingers in many people's mind.

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
A good post. However, are you sure about the numbers? Finland has 5.2 million people and Sweden has 8.9 million. Is Moscow really that huge :amazed:

Yeah, if you count all the outskirts and suburbs :). Moscow's getting really huge lately, and if you count all the illegal immigrants and unaccounted-for inhabitants without the residency rights (also illegals, in a way, but not necessarily immigrants), it's a huge city :). People are underestimating the metropolitan areas lately, and those are getting bigger and bigger each year...

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
e-townchamps said:

isnt that what the media does? overhype events like these?
its the way it is and the way it will alllways be. I dont remember the 72 summit series i was only 6 years old but i remember the Miracle On Ice in the 80 Olympics. Arguably the greatest upset in sports history. a bunch of college kids who were together what not even a year, beat one of the greatest Russian teams of all time. was it a fluke? Does it really matter? US won the hockey game on one of the biggest stages imaginable the Olympics and won. I dont care if it was a fluke or not.

Burberry Manning

Feb 27, 2002
Summit NJ-The Elite
Visit site
e-townchamps said:
I think the reason that the Miracle on Ice is deemed so important in American, atleast in my opinion, is not because of it's importance in the sports world, but rather the symbolism that it carried outside of hockey. It symbolized the USA vs. the Soviet Union. Democracy vs. Communism. The Americans were democracy, severely overlooked and the heavy underdog to succeed. The Soviets were communism and were extremely favored. But in the end democracy overcame it's tremendous obstacles to pull out a victory.

Of course many in other countries would overlook it and downplay it. Russians and Soviets aren't going to keep hanging on it and letting it get to them because they lost. Just like no American is going to look back in 20 years and recognize the impact of the USA losing in basketball

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
The CZE-SVK rivalry will be big or may falter. But its a rivalry for sure. Not the same size as RUS-CAN but still a big one.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
12# Peter Bondra said:
The CZE-SVK rivalry will be big or may falter. But its a rivalry for sure. Not the same size as RUS-CAN but still a big one.

I always thought that Slovaks and Czechs got along extremely well and that the separation of the countries was very smooth, leading to a rather weak rivalry. Obviously I was wrong, but could you shed some light on the reasons behind the rivalry? Like a classic game of the past leading to this rivalry?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
After the 2000 WC finals, where we lost to them, Reichel said that the Slovaks will never beat the Czechs. After we beat them in the 2003 Bronze Medal game, Vyborny said we celebrating the bronze medal like "clowns". These and other quotes heated up teh rivalry a bit.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I see. The rivalry stems from the level of individual players. The press no doubt helped, as is their habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad