Russia-USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Is this the greatest current international rivalry?

Tomorrow's game may change something, but I've noticed that almost every international game between USA and Russia has been heated with lots of rough stuff and hatred flinging around.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
It certainly seems that way. Finland vs. Sweden is an age-old rivalry, but the hatred is not there. What about Russia vs. Czech? Although the Soviet Union is no more, some people still remember the Spring of Prague 1968 and make the connection to Russia.

Edit: typo

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Maybe times have changed now, but when I lived in Russia 7 years ago, I never came across at least one person who had any kind of dislike towards Canada.. Then I came here though, and it's been totally opposite.. I've come across a lot of hatred and prejudice towards Russia..

So while the rivalry is there, it's more of a one sided rivalry where Canada loves to beat Russia, but there's not much emotion going the other way..

I think Russia-Czech Republic is a much more heated rivalry.. or at least it used to be..

Mountain Dude

MOGiLNY said:
Maybe times have changed now, but when I lived in Russia 7 years ago, I never came across at least one person who had any kind of dislike towards Canada.. Then I came here though, and it's been totally opposite.. I've come across a lot of hatred and prejudice towards Russia..

So while the rivalry is there, it's more of a one sided rivalry where Canada loves to beat Russia, but there's not much emotion going the other way..

I think Russia-Czech Republic is a much more heated rivalry.. or at least it used to be..

All the hate in Canada for Russia stems from fear of being beaten by them because they're so damn good, thats what I would say.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Being a US fan I like beating Canada, but I can live with a loss. To me they are very similar - just more into hockey then baseball like we are.

I'd rather beat Russia though I don't lose sleep over it. I guess I just always think of the 'Miracle on ice.' I just consider Russia players to be bigger, and colder. The US makes me think more of smaller players going on heart :dunno: Probably doesn't pertain as much now, but thats what I think of.

When I think Russian hockey I think of a cold guy like Yashin. When I think America I see Leetch and Richter.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Boucicaut said:
What about Russia vs. Czech? Although the Soviet Union is no more, some people still remember the Spring of Prague 1968 and make the connection to Russia.

I think it's a little bit surprising that Finland and Russia don't seem to have very big rivalry in hockey, when unfortunately there's so much anti-russianism in Finland in general. Some people still remember the winter of 1939 and make the connection to Russia. That's a bit unfair IMO.

I think it's fair to say USA vs. Russia is the greatest current international rivalry. There seems to be some profound differences of opinion between these countries of how to play the game, and of course there might be some age old political tensions too.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Barnaby said:
Being a US fan I like beating Canada, but I can live with a loss. To me they are very similar - just more into hockey then baseball like we are.

I'd rather beat Russia though I don't lose sleep over it. I guess I just always think of the 'Miracle on ice.' I just consider Russia players to be bigger, and colder. The US makes me think more of smaller players going on heart :dunno: Probably doesn't pertain as much now, but thats what I think of.

When I think Russian hockey I think of a cold guy like Yashin. When I think America I see Leetch and Richter.

The thing about Russian hockey is that even their names have a presence. I think it's the continuing Red Army mystique that does it, but when I hear a Russian hockey name, I think of a robot-like warrior who was engineered in a laboratory and trained only to play hockey by sadistic generals. But if I were to summarize the Russians in one word, it would be 'cold'. American hockey instills images of the hard, mean grit of Bill Guerin, and Canadian hockey to me is hard work, hustle, determination, heart.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Ipa said:
I think it's a little bit surprising that Finland and Russia don't seem to have very big rivalry in hockey, when unfortunately there's so much anti-russianism in Finland in general. Some people still remember the winter of 1939 and make the connection to Russia. That's a bit unfair IMO.

There is some rivalry, as people are always very happy to see Finland beat Russia. However, the rivalry isn't stronger than that probably because it did not get a chance to really develop in the past as Soviet Union was SO much better than Finland. We got beaten up on a regular basis back then.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
King Henry I said:
Agreed. I think that US-Russia is the most heated international rivalry in large part because of what happened with the Miracle on Ice and the Cold War.

Miracle on ice?? You are kidding me, right? Nobody outside of America cares about that.. not even the Russians, they know it was a big fluke..

I don't think the cold war has much of an impact on a Russia-US hockey rivalry neither.. Might as well say that Russia and Germany are rivals because of the WWII..

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
MOGiLNY said:
Miracle on ice?? You are kidding me, right? Nobody outside of America cares about that.. not even the Russians, they know it was a big fluke..

I don't think the cold war has much of an impact on a Russia-US hockey rivalry neither.. Might as well say that Russia and Germany are rivals because of the WWII..

I think it matters to some people because all through school you read US vs. Soviet Union, Cuban missile crisis, etc... it sticks in your mind even if you don't really hold anything against the Russian people.

Miracle on ice might be a fluke to you guys, but over here it was condiered HUGE. IT was that 'We beat the Soviets at their biggest strength with a bunch of college kids.'

two out of three*

MOGiLNY said:

Doesn't matter.. Either way the USA beat the best International Team, the best Russian team, EVER.. fair and square. Fluke or no fluke.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
MOGiLNY said:

Of course Russians try to downplay it........

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Boucicaut said:
There is some rivalry, as people are always very happy to see Finland beat Russia. However, the rivalry isn't stronger than that probably because it did not get a chance to really develop in the past as Soviet Union was SO much better than Finland. We got beaten up on a regular basis back then.

That's true. I still remember Calgary Olympics in 1988 very clearly, when we got silver by winning Soviet Union. They didn't have any stakes on that game, since they had already secured they gold medals, but it still was something unbelievable. Our Miracle on Ice, if you will. But I don't remember really hating anybody. I just thought it was so amazing that we were able to beat that team with Makaronov, Larionov, Krutov etc. And of course we took those "sure" silver medals away from the Swedes, which was nice. I had that game on tape for a long time and I use to watch it at least once a year, but I lost it somewhere. Dammit!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MOGiLNY said:

It would take a Russian living in Toronto to downplay such an important athletic achievement. :shakehead Whatever makes you sleep at night I guess........

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I remember Darius Kasparaitits saying before the Olympics that he and the players considers the rivalry between Russia and the Czechs to be more significant than the rivalry between Russian and the US.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
It would take a Russian living in Toronto to downplay such an important athletic achievement. :shakehead Whatever makes you sleep at night I guess........

It was a great achievement, but then again, it was a long time ago against a nation that is no more. In fact, many Russians prefer to talk about more recent happenings (positive or negative) where Russia is involved, instead of Soviet Union. Some of the downplay might come from that direction.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Canada vs Russia is the only hockey rivalry that matters. They are the two true super powers of hockey. Yes, other nations are starting to produce better top end talent for themselves, but no one matches these two teams year in, year out. In the 28 years that this championship has been played, Russia has 12 Gold, 6 Silver and 5 Bronze, which means they got a medal in 23 of 28 years. Canada has 10 Gold, 6 Silver and 4 Bronze, which means they got a medal in 20 out of 28 championships. Keep in mind that Canada did not send a true national team until the 6th year of this competition and that Canada and Russia were disqualified from the 87 podium and what you have left is complete dominance of this game. The only other team worthy of mention is Czechoslovakia. Had they not split up, they would be comparible.

espo*

Mountain Dude said:
All the hate in Canada for Russia stems from fear of being beaten by them because they're so damn good, thats what I would say.
We fear losing to anyone because we can't stand it in hockey...it's an admirable trait that has kept us on top.Thankfully we are always able to step back and end up relaxing because we know we are so damn good too.Believe me...the Russians(and you guys) fear losing to us also and both of you know we are always capable(and likely) of doing it.Back at ya

Mountain Dude

The best hockey international hockey rivalry is Canada vs. Russia, no doubt about it. Started with the 72 series, where it was just war on ice.

The best hockey ever played arguable was between Canada and Russia in 1987.

Canada and Russia also had such a huge fight in the Juniors that they had to turn the lights off to end the fight, and it didn't even work.

The only real battle the Americans had with them was during the Miracle on Ice, and it was just that, a Miracle, had it been an 8 game series like Canada had to do, than it would have been 7-1 for the Russians.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I think it's clear that Russia - Canada is a huge rivalry because they're the two traditional, most-skilled hockey nations...you don't get surprised if either side wins...whereas if you hear that Russia or Canada was beaten by any other country, you get surprised...

USA-Russia may be a more heated rivalry though because you don't see the same overt taunting, bad-blood in a Canada-Russia rivarly...at least not as openly...I'm sure there's plenty of trash talking going on, but it usually isn't as chippy and dirty...at least not in recent memory...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad