OT: Russia/Ukraine and the Washington Capitals thread (mod warning post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
What?

Strange response.
You wrote "I really don't get the logic of going after citizens with no power". Russian military have been responsible for the deaths of Ukrainian citizens, some who are children. I don't know why you believe that's a strange response.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Isn't Ovi's first son a dual citizen by the way of being born in Florida?

Yes.

My step-mom is Russian, and her and my father had a daughter here, and she is automatically an American citizen. I don't think it matters if one or none of the parents are actually from America, although I'm not 100% certain.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Ovy himself has promoted Putinism for years :D Has done nothing wrong? Don't make me laugh. Ovechkin himself would deserve to get sanctioned. Hope he will and all his assets in the western world would be given to the ukrainians. Glad that he will never be able to play for Russian national team again.

I don't get this stand point. This is easily the most egregious act Putin has done, and while the west may not agree, he has done good things for Russia during this tenure. Over the past 5-7 years his gone way downhill has has become this tyrant, but just because he used to vocally support him and help him get votes, doesn't mean he did anything illegal, and if believe he didn't do anything illegal, then why would we seize his asesets?

He is not Putin, he did not decide to invade Ukraine.

pelderhostiga

May 2, 2014
I'm against punishing regular people who have done nothing wrong, or at least those who have not been proven to have done something. Unfortunately, there is pretty strong evidence that at least Alexander Ovechkin doesn't fall into that category. The NHL (and hfboards for some reason) suppressed speech about an ongoing war for a better part of a week. Now that it's no longer invisible, everyone knows that Ovechkin has chosen his side years ago.

Mod edit: the board rules are very clear on no politics -- not sure why this is difficult to understand.

mod delete

Last edited by a moderator:

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Ovechkin was stupid for publicly cozying up to Putin. That said, punishing individual NHL players makes no sense. The point of various sanctions is to hurt Russia/Putin which this wouldn't do. Hurts the players, teams and fans.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I'm going to need to see some reputable, non-conspiracy theory links to believe this one....

He has not supported the invasion of ukraine, but he has trashed ukraine in 2014. Look at slava malamud's twitter posts today. While I realize he does have and always had an agenda against ovechkin... he does offer some pretty damaging statements made by ovechkin in the past.

Not exactly sure how to feel he could have changed his opinion since then, but in the past he has parroted putin's stance.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He has not supported the invasion of ukraine, but he has trashed ukraine in 2014. Look at slava malamud's twitter posts today. While I realize he does have and always had an agenda against ovechkin... he does offer some pretty damaging statements made by ovechkin in the past.

Not exactly sure how to feel he could have changed his opinion since then, but in the past he has parroted putin's stance.

From 2014:

Ovechkin takes Putin's side in the Ukraine war

What Ovie did in 2014 was similar to what many US citizens and celebrities did as a result of bad intel on Iraq WMDs, or the idiotic Qanon conspiracy theories about "save the children", which is repeat hashtags or slogans designed to manipulate you via the easiest points of access: government oppression and children.

It was the dominant opinion among Russians at the time because it was pushed so heavily.

This is a recurring theme in Kremlin propaganda. Russian disinformation has been pervasive online for years and it often hits these marks. It would not surprise me to learn a pro athlete is being fooled by it, especially since so many others have fallen prey to such trickery.

The question is whether Ovie knew it was deceptive propaganda at the time, or if he was being duped by it. The follow up question is if he realizes NOW that it was fake, and that similar disinfo is being pushed to support the current invasion.

There is no way anyone should be supporting Putin in 2022 unless they exist totally in the Russian media bubble.

Ovie has spoken out against the war and that's nice, but he really needs to step up and denounce Putin himself so long as his family is safe from reprisal. If his wife and parents are not allowed here for more than a few months at a time it's probably an ongoing concern.

It's easy for us to judge him from afar but it's probably more complicated than we know.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Ovie has spoken out against the war and that's nice, but he really needs to step up and denounce Putin himself so long as his family is safe from reprisal. If his wife and parents are not allowed here for more than a few months at a time it's probably an ongoing concern.
It's definitely not safe to assume they would be. Russians protesting the war are being arrested and who knows what else. Putin has set up a bonafide dictatorship there. The best thing Russian celebrities abroad right now can do is stay out of the spotlight if they still have family there.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
For reference re: Brooks' comment:

upload_2022-3-1_10-59-20.png

Not a good look, Ovie. Not good at all.

Don't be that guy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's definitely not safe to assume they would be. Russians protesting the war are being arrested and who knows what else. Putin has set up a bonafide dictatorship there.

Agreed. It's an unknown for us and possibly very volatile.

But he can at least remove the obvious signs of support that don't cost anything, like that insta profile pic.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

But he can at least remove the obvious signs of support that don't cost anything, like that insta profile pic.
Agreed. I've always been a fan of Ovie even though he always owns my team, but I definitely can't root for any Putin supporters from now on. As far as him making a public statement condemning the invasion, I think that's too much to expect, though.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Putin might just take issue with anything public like that…hard to say. Petty man…

Hopefully Ovy’s being cautious, not defiant.

pelderhostiga

May 2, 2014
From 2014:

Ovechkin takes Putin's side in the Ukraine war

What Ovie did in 2014 was similar to what many US citizens and celebrities did as a result of bad intel on Iraq WMDs, or the idiotic Qanon conspiracy theories about "save the children", which is repeat hashtags or slogans designed to manipulate you via the easiest points of access: government oppression and children.

It was the dominant opinion among Russians at the time because it was pushed so heavily.

This is a recurring theme in Kremlin propaganda. Russian disinformation has been pervasive online for years and it often hits these marks. It would not surprise me to learn a pro athlete is being fooled by it, especially since so many others have fallen prey to such trickery.

The question is whether Ovie knew it was deceptive propaganda at the time, or if he was being duped by it. The follow up question is if he realizes NOW that it was fake, and that similar disinfo is being pushed to support the current invasion.

I don't think it really matters if Ovechkin knew it was propaganda or not. He has been actively supporting Putin for decades and posed for the campaign to smear Ukraine while Russia was actively annexing parts of it against international law. It is clear to me that Ovechkin is an active member in all this - not a victim nor even neutral - so playing the dumb card or claiming ignorance doesn't really work when shit hits the fan with full force. No matter how dumb or ignorant you might actually be.

I don't know what Kuznetsov or Samsonov make of all this, but my opinion is that those people who took a neutral and non-political stance before shouldn't be punished. At the very least those people who have denounced Putin before (and got harassed for it) shouldn't be touched in any way or form (e.g. Panarin). Ovechkin fits neither of those categories.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Putin might just take issue with anything public like that…hard to say. Petty man…

Hopefully Ovy’s being cautious, not defiant.

I look for Ovi to score goals, not for his politics or worldview.

Plus, being (arguably) the the most prominent Russian athlete in the world puts him in a very awkward position. I imagine Putin has kept him close throughout his career. And has been said, Ovi’s family and friends are back in Russia. He may be losing money from the sanctions, etc…

Point being - I don’t think it’s a simple thing for Ovi to now come out against Putin and get rid of photos, etc… I would imagine he just wants to play hockey and be left out of all this. Of course, there’s no way to know what’s in his heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad