Olympics: Russia Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Znarok likes his role playes. So I think we'll be seeing a lot less of some skill guys people are putting on their rosters, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I think old man Datsyuk could still be very valuable in a checking/PK role, maybe along side Telegin and Svetlakov (moved to W).

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Kucherov
Kovalchuk - Malkin - Tarasenko
Panarin - Anisimov - Radulov
Svetlakov - Datsyuk - Telegin

Provorov-Zaitsev
Orlov-Voynov
Markov-Emelin
Tryamkin

Bobrovsky
Vasilevsky
Varlamov

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Znarok likes his role playes. So I think we'll be seeing a lot less of some skill guys people are putting on their rosters, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I think old man Datsyuk could still be very valuable in a checking/PK role, maybe along side Telegin and Svetlakov (moved to W).

Kovalchuk - Malkin - Tarasenko
Panarin - Anisimov - Radulov
Svetlakov - Datsyuk - Telegin

Provorov-Zaitsev
Orlov-Voynov
Markov-Emelin
Tryamkin

Bobrovsky
Vasilevsky
Varlamov

Pretty useless roster.

Ovy - Kuz - Kucherov is nonsensical.

As well as Kovalchuk - Malkin

The obsession with 4th lines with Telegins and Svetalkovs is also absurd.

Kucherov is a great match for the Panarin - Anisimov duo, while Radulov would be a great playmaker for Ovechkin's shot.

It's something like that for me:

Panarin - Anisimov - Kucherov

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Radulov

Mozyakin - Malkin - Tarasenko

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Buchnevich

Gusev - Namestnikov - Nichushkin

Alternate lines:

Panarin - Kuznetsov - Tarasenko

Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Radulov

Gusev - Malkin - Kucherov

Mozyakin - Anisimov - Buchnevich

Also no Voynov or Markov anywhere near that roster. As much as I despise what the Kings did to Voynov he doesn't deserve a spot with his current play.

Zadorov - Provorov

Zaytsev - Orlov

Emelin - Tryamkin

Sergachev, Nesterov

Bobrovskiy

Varlamov

Sorokin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anisimov and Datsyuk kill penalties. I also think you could probably teach one of the better defensive forwards to kill penalties. Some of the players mentioned do coast in the defensive zone, but if that was their role, I'm sure they'd all try really hard, and give the needed effort. The PK is not so much about being so big and strong, its about being smart with quick decisions and giving effort. I suspect every single player on that roster has killed penalties before, whether its at the NHL level, KHL level, junior hockey, playing for Russia. Maybe they don't do so regularly with their NHL or KHL teams, but it's not like you are throwing a skater in net. Its not a foreign concept to try to play defense. So many times its been tried by coaches to take a roster with all the roles filled, and usually those are the teams that aren't that successful. In these tournaments, the most skilled teams usually win.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Also no Voynov or Markov anywhere near that roster. As much as I despise what the Kings did to Voynov he doesn't deserve a spot with his current play.

The Kings did nothing to Voynov. He broke the law in a country where he was not a citizen. I believe he was in the USA on a non-immigrant work visa. He broke a law that sometimes ends in someone being deported. If a Swedish or Finnish player did what Voynov did to his wife, the same thing would've happened. I know relations between the USA and Russia aren't good and all that so it could seem like he was an easy target, but the guy wasn't treated poorly. There also wasn't much that the Kings or the NHL could've done, unless they would've been able to change the minds of the government official who decided to deport him. Even if he was a citizen, he probably would still be out of the NHL, just not deported. Domestic violence is a crime that NA sports leagues take very seriously.

Voynov has been much better this season. Last season, I was surprised that he was playing so poorly. This season, he's been so much better. He looks like the best defenseman in the KHL.

Last edited:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Optimal roster right now

goalie

Bobrovskiy
Sorokin
Vasilevskiy

forwards line

Kovalchuk-Malkin-Tarasenko
Panarin-Anisimov- Kucherov
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Buchnevich
Gusev-Schipachyov--Radulov
Namestnikov
extra

Dadonov
Kaprizov (

Provorov-Zaytsev
Voynov-Emelin
Orlov-Tryamkin
extra

Ozhiganov or Kiselevich

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
PP-1

Provorov-Ovechkin-Malkin-Tarasenko-Kucherov

PP-2

Zaytsev-Kovalchuk-Schipachyov--Kuznetsov-Radulov

PK-1 Voynov-Emelin-Amisimov-Namestnikov

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The Kings did nothing to Voynov. He broke the law in a country where he was not a citizen. I believe he was in the USA on a non-immigrant work visa. He broke a law that sometimes ends in someone being deported. If a Swedish or Finnish player did what Voynov did to his wife, the same thing would've happened. I know relations between the USA and Russia aren't good and all that so it could seem like he was an easy target, but the guy wasn't treated poorly. There also wasn't much that the Kings or the NHL could've done, unless they would've been able to change the minds of the government official who decided to deport him. Even if he was a citizen, he probably would still be out of the NHL, just not deported. Domestic violence is a crime that NA sports leagues take very seriously.

Voynov has been much better this season. Last season, I was surprised that he was playing so poorly. This season, he's been so much better. He looks like the best defenseman in the KHL.

Since the Olympics are being held in Korea, there is no known limitation to Voynov's participation. He participated in the WC's last year in Russia, and the IIHF made no effort to curtail him. He moves the puck very well on the power play, and would no doubt be selected to the roster.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Kovalchuk - Malkin-Tarasenko
Panarin - Anisimov- Radulov
Dadonov - Shipachiov - Buchnevich
Gusev - Namestnikov

Provorov - Zaitsev
Orlov - Emelin
Tryamkin - Marchenko
Markov - Zadorov

Bobvrosky
Vasilevsky
Sorokin

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Bobrovsky
Vasilevsky
Samsonov(Varlamov)

Zaytsev - Provorov
Marchenko - Kulikov
Zadorov - Nesterov
Orlov

Panarin - Anisimov - Tarasenko
Buchnevich - Malkin - Radulov
Soshnikov - Namestnikov - Grigorenko
Kaprizov

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
From what I've seen recently, if the Olympics are played on the NHL sized rink, Tryamkin is a strong candidate to make the team

Michael Hockey

Jun 4, 2012
Hopefully despite the NHL`s awful decision not to let the players participate in the olympics we could still see some of the Russian NHL stars in there. Screw the NHL! Lets see about them firing some of their biggest stars, because of the olympics. :)

Reactions: Atas2000

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Tryamkin will play. We need his size and strength. And he looks pretty good in Vancouver.
I was thinking the same, he continues to get better with more experience. No offense but his reach and defensive capabilities are excellent. Just erases guys on the small ice. 1st year Russia will have an excellent D. As long as either Orlov, Provorov or Zaytsev are on the ice at all times things will be golden. Add Voynov, Tree... I dont even care who else is brought.

Now that NHL players can't play in the Olympics, how is the Russian roster shaping up?

I think Tryamkin is a sure bet to make the team.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Now that NHL players can't play in the Olympics, how is the Russian roster shaping up?

I think Tryamkin is a sure bet to make the team.

Well, as to Tryamkin, it will all depend on how he'll play at Euro Tour tournaments. There will be only two of them before the Olympics - Karjala Cup and First Channel Cup, and he is on the Karjala Cup roster, everything other depends on him.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Hopefully despite the NHL`s awful decision not to let the players participate in the olympics we could still see some of the Russian NHL stars in there. Screw the NHL! Lets see about them firing some of their biggest stars, because of the olympics. :)
Won't happen, but I am with you on this issue.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
24775096_1937118029646795_3082065593942464499_n.jpg

So, the Russian roster for the 2017 Channel One Cup. It has usually been a great indicator for past World Championship roster and this is most likely the Russians team for the upcoming olympics.
Interesting how recent KHL ambition has driven both CSKA Moscow and SKA Saint Petersburg back to the top over the recent years, this is almost like the old days when nearly all players used to play for the Red Army club. Nevertheless SKA stands for "Sports club of the Army", so more or less all players are armymen :thumbu:

Russia will play Sweden, Canada and Finland. This turounament will surely be used as a strong indicator of how the medals will be distrubuted in Pyeongchang!

Last edited:

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
I wonder why no Markov, or Tryamkin?

Don´t know about Markov, he has been playing well. Tryamkin had a shot in Karjala Cup last month and I guess they didn´t find anything special about him.
I think this roster shows that they don´t want to experiment and just go with the CSKA and SKA players because they know that they work together in their usual club lines/pairs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00