russia economic crisis - will it affect KHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think there is merit to the argument that Putin's support of corruption and failure to support economic modernization will limit (but certainly not stop) Russian economic growth, but its a stretch to say that these factors will limit the KHL from growing and improving. Hockey doesn't need a broad and diverse base to support growth, just a lot of money to invest in player development and league marketing. There are enough good players in Russia and throughout Europe to staff a quality product.

The big question is, how many teams can there be in it to offer that product?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The big question is, how many teams can there be in it to offer that product?

Good question. Personally, I don't favor overexpansion. What's the hurry? Build a solid block of quality teams as soon as possible, and then later, build on that. An exception to that would be if they could break into the Swedish or German markets. Having a toehold in those markets would be too valuable to pass up.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
That I doubt. Gazprom is throwing 25 mio € a year only at Schalke 04...

if Gazprom wouldn´t sponsor schalke, ska, khl and other sports, the oil would be cheaper.

and if we wouldn´t buy oil from Russia, it would be very cold here in winter.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
if Gazprom wouldn´t sponsor schalke, ska, khl and other sports, the oil would be cheaper.

Wuss. :D

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
i didn't mean that
in current russia to give such a salary (thanks to selling natural gas) to a player is amoral and absurd, imho. the whole system is broken
Things that are genuinely amoral and absurd are Yakunin's mansion and Fetisov not declaring his property.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
huh, i always thought it's russian citizens, but i guess people tend to see things from their own perch

Wether Russians pay sports stars via taxes or by money that their biggest companies pay them after stealing the natural ressources of the country - in both cases money is taken away from Russian citizens. ;) So you are right in both cases.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Completely off topic, but is "mio" the German abbreviation for million? Because everywhere else "we" just use "M".

Yeah, sorry. I sometimes can't hide the fact that I live in Germany. :) I guess we use Mio instead of just M because of D-Mark - usually just called Mark - our former currency. But not sure about that.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Wether Russians pay sports stars via taxes or by money that their biggest companies pay them after stealing the natural ressources of the country - in both cases money is taken away from Russian citizens. ;) So you are right in both cases.

Let's get this straight. You either claim all multinational heavyweight natural resources companies are "stealing" the resources or you stay with the version of them paying their taxes for the resources they are allowed to dig for. You can't claim russian companies are some special case there.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Good question. Personally, I don't favor overexpansion. What's the hurry? Build a solid block of quality teams as soon as possible, and then later, build on that. An exception to that would be if they could break into the Swedish or German markets. Having a toehold in those markets would be too valuable to pass up.

A solid view on it. Though squeezing into Sweden might prove difficult. Germany on the other hand is avery realistic option.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think there is merit to the argument that Putin's support of corruption and failure to support economic modernization will limit (but certainly not stop) Russian economic growth, but its a stretch to say that these factors will limit the KHL from growing and improving. Hockey doesn't need a broad and diverse base to support growth, just a lot of money to invest in player development and league marketing. There are enough good players in Russia and throughout Europe to staff a quality product.

Putin as much as ppl in the west don't like to admit it is the opposite of that. He's fighting corruption inherited from the soviet era and Yeltsin's "junta" and supports economic modernization. What ppl in Russia don't understand Rome wasn't built in a day. What ppl in the west aren't given the chance to understand by their "free" press is that Putin also is no dictator and a true president elect. The fact that you don't like it doesn't change the facts. Putin isn't perfect. But noone is.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Russian Economic Crisis - Will if Affect the KHL

:madfire: Thats what this threads about people, not about Trotsky, Stalin etc etc etc... Back on topic.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Putin as much as ppl in the west don't like to admit it is the opposite of that. He's fighting corruption inherited from the soviet era and Yeltsin's "junta" and supports economic modernization. What ppl in Russia don't understand Rome wasn't built in a day. What ppl in the west aren't given the chance to understand by their "free" press is that Putin also is no dictator and a true president elect. The fact that you don't like it doesn't change the facts. Putin isn't perfect. But noone is.

{Mod}... do serdukov and his amazons belong to the soviet era or Yeltsin's "junta"? what about rotenberg brothers, timchenko, kovalchuk brothers. has putin nothing to do with them? what about cooperative Ozero?
putin is fighting corruption? the system is build on corruption, putil's power is build on corruption.
do you live in russia?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
... do serdukov and his amazons belong to the soviet era or Yeltsin's "junta"? what about rotenberg brothers, timchenko, kovalchuk brothers. has putin nothing to do with them? what about cooperative Ozero?
do you live in russia?

maybe he's a big Kiselyov fan?

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
... do serdukov and his amazons belong to the soviet era or Yeltsin's "junta"? what about rotenberg brothers, timchenko, kovalchuk brothers. has putin nothing to do with them? what about cooperative Ozero?
putin is fighting corruption? the system is build on corruption, putil's power is build on corruption.
do you live in russia?

i think someone wrote in an other theard that he is a finnish russophile.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

Replacing red directors with his own people into his own, corrupt power vertical isn't really "fighting corruption". Yes, bribery has gone down but at the same time, Russia is still dead last in global rankings on the subject.

Also, with how blatantly rigged the electoral process is in Russia, coupled with the supression of all opposition and control of state media, irregardless of his actual popularity, don't pretend that he's a "true president elect" in the honest sense of the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad