russia economic crisis - will it affect KHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I would not say that Russia's economy is in crisis. In 2013 the economy is expected to grow about 1%. Russian economy is stagnant, meaning that economy is gaining very little growth.

True economic crisis would be like what happened in 1998 when Ruble collapsed.

The KHL survived the global economic crisis of 2008-2009. I expect it to survive the current economic situation as well, which is not good but not "disastrous" either.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
What economic crisis? KHL survived 2008 crisis just fine. You should read less sme.sk if google translate is any indication.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What economic crisis? KHL survived 2008 crisis just fine. You should read less sme.sk if google translate is any indication.

just want to inform non-slovak/czech posters. SME is anti-russian daily newspaper, author Petra Procházková is russophobic person/Russia-hater. So...

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
just want to inform non-slovak/czech posters. SME is anti-russian daily newspaper, author Petra Procházková is russophobic person/Russia-hater. So...
In Finland the equivalent would be Helsingin Sanomat (the biggest newspaper in this country).

swosh

Im pink hair niггa
Jul 3, 2013
Prague

Evraz has just bad managment. I saw report about two competing metalurgs company from Silesia, comparing EVRAZ and Moravia Steel. Moravia diversified production and prosper and Evraz stopped production.

I would say all CS media are russofobic and i also dont like government, but like people i studied with them at University

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
But if we want to be realistic there will not be any great economic growth in Russia for many years. There are several reasons for this.

One of the most important and often overlooked reasons is that the number of working age people in Russia is decreasing. Every year a lot more people go out of job market than enter it.

Russia's birth rate has rebounded recently, but that won't have a positive effect to Russia's economy just yet. Those age groups that are currently entering working age are very small.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Evraz has just bad managment. I saw report about two competing metalurgs company from Silesia, comparing EVRAZ and Moravia Steel. Moravia diversified production and prosper and Evraz stopped production.

I would say all CS media are russofobic and i also dont like government, but like people i studied with them at University

Sure, I dont say that russian economy is ideal or great, I just say that SME is anti-russian newpapers. ;)

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
FYI: Peter25 is a Russophile who sees anti-Russian opinions everywhere and his views aren't shared by anyone else in Finland with half a brain.
You don't have to be a "russophile" to recognize the anti-Russian bias of Helsingin Sanomat.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Another news (source: Šport.sk, Peter Bárdy + ska.ru, reuters). In Russian parliament is group, that doesn't want, that big Russian state monopols should sponsor soccer teams and also KHL teams. They don't like, that poor Russian people should pay Kovalchuk, Hulk ... One of the is Vjaceslav Fetisov.
(i dont know if it is also from russophobic person/Russia-hater)

HF members from Russia could say us more.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
Another news (source: Šport.sk, Peter Bárdy + ska.ru, reuters). In Russian parliament is group, that doesn't want, that big Russian state monopols should sponsor soccer teams and also KHL teams. They don't like, that poor Russian people should pay Kovalchuk, Hulk ... One of the is Vjaceslav Fetisov.

I may add that, as long as Ska is sponsored by Gazprom Export, the people who pay for K-chuk contract are, well, Germans.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I may add that, as long as Ska is sponsored by Gazprom Export, the people who pay for K-chuk contract are, well, Germans.
Not really, since Kovalchuk's salary is not directly paid by Gazprom's German customers. Germans first pay Gazprom and then Gazprom pays Kovalchuk.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
:laugh: Yes, you do.

You may get protective all you like. I have no idea about that certain newspaper, but EU media in general is russophobic. From suggestive titles to plain lies you can find tons of it. Face it, Russia is still the enemy for the western world. They can't just switch it off. The picture of Russia being presented in the west couldn't be farther from the truth.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You may get protective all you like. I have no idea about that certain newspaper, but EU media in general is russophobic. From suggestive titles to plain lies you can find tons of it. Face it, Russia is still the enemy for the western world. They can't just switch it off. The picture of Russia being presented in the west couldn't be farther from the truth.

It's not like Russia's actions recently have helped to change the picture to more positive. It's more apparent in Finland, what with constant air space violations by fighter jets, child custody cases, that Greenpeace activist, Johan Bäckman's constant antics, cyber attacks being traced to Russia etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
It's not like Russia's actions recently have helped to change the picture to more positive. It's more apparent in Finland, what with constant air space violations by fighter jets, child custody cases, that Greenpeace activist, Johan Bäckman's constant antics, cyber attacks being traced to Russia etc.

In Sweden, all the newspapers have a very negative opinion about Russia which affects people's opinion about Russia. This is a big reason why many people are very negative towards the possibility that a Swedish team one day could join the KHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm

I always thought people were very positive towards these kind of things. During my visits in Russia, especially Ufa, people were very upset about their new President preferring football over hockey (Salavat Yulaev) and thus giving the football section more sponsor money. But then again, I almost only met with people who were fans of the hockey team.

And by the way, Salavat is a ridiculously rich club, with Sergei Zinoviev earning $4,7mil/year. :laugh:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I always thought people were very positive towards these kind of things. During my visits in Russia, especially Ufa, people were very upset about their new President preferring football over hockey (Salavat Yulaev) and thus giving the football section more sponsor money. But then again, I almost only met with people who were fans of the hockey team.

And by the way, Salavat is a ridiculously rich club, with Sergei Zinoviev earning $4,7mil/year. :laugh:

Talking about Bashkortostan not Russia in general?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
In Sweden, all the newspapers have a very negative opinion about Russia which affects people's opinion about Russia. This is a big reason why many people are very negative towards the possibility that a Swedish team one day could join the KHL.

Mainstream media is controlled by lobbysts in every country. In Russia it is controlled by the government, in Sweden it's controlled by those who own your government.)))

Alost all the mainstream media is biased.

As a great russian writer Mikhail Bulgakov wrote in one of his books: If you have good manners, you should not read Soviet newspapers.:)
Mainstream media is a product of ideology, just as Soviet media was.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Today i readed an article about russian economic crisis (SK language). Especially metalurg industry.
There are also other news to read , f. e. here or here.
How will it affect the KHL? There was some news, that one team has already financial issues (dont know the name now). Are other teams in trouble?

The team that has financial issues is Amur. By official version they have financial problems because their main sponsor(their region) spent a lot of money during a flood this year.

Speaking about economics, there's an economic crisis in the World right now. It will not go away by itself, the whole system is flawed. At the center of that system we have USA, not Russia. If smth. like 2008 will be repeated it will not be "just russian thing". It will be wordlwide and will probably start from one of ecomomic heavyweights: USA or EU.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Of course you're right! Russia fell into a deep depression in the 1990's that was a result of the total fundamental overhaul of the economy from a central managed economy to transition to a form of "capitalism." The upheaval and dislocation that comes from a fundamental uprooting of a society is a lot different than the periodic ups and downs of the metal industry described in the Slovakian newspaper. Yet Russian hockey still survived the depression of the late '90's. Short of a global economic calamity, hockey in Russia will be fine.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
I would not say that Russia's economy is in crisis.

What economic crisis?

Russia can't even maintain it's budget and GDP growth is going down. Maybe it's not a full blown "crisis" yet, maybe it would be better to say the economy is falling apart and will possibly be in a crisis in time. When? Year? Two? We'll see.

Russia lives and dies by the oil/gas market. If it booms, so does Russia. If it tanks...well...

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Of course you're right! Russia fell into a deep depression in the 1990's that was a result of the total fundamental overhaul of the economy from a central managed economy to transition to a form of "capitalism." The upheaval and dislocation that comes from a fundamental uprooting of a society is a lot different than the periodic ups and downs of the metal industry described in the Slovakian newspaper. Yet Russian hockey still survived the depression of the late '90's. Short of a global economic calamity, hockey in Russia will be fine.

Russian hockey of today is much different than that of the 90s. Namely, it's a lot better, privately owned, and it can afford to compete in the international market and retain players. In the 90s, everyone left to the NHL.

I guess the question is not if the KHL can 'survive' (obviously some form of league will always survive), but can it maintain it's current expansionary momentum.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Russian hockey of today is much different than that of the 90s. Namely, it's a lot better, privately owned, and it can afford to compete in the international market and retain players. In the 90s, everyone left to the NHL.

I guess the question is not if the KHL can 'survive' (obviously some form of league will always survive), but can it maintain it's current expansionary momentum.

Dont worry, KHL is just fine... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad