Ruslan Fedotenko invited to camp

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
As I was saying...

Lamoriello said this was a case of these players/their agents approaching the Devils about coming to camp as tryouts.. There are “no promises, no guarantees” as far the tryouts even playing in preseason games.

“I’m sure that some will get in (preseason games), but there’s no promises,” Lamoriello said. “There’s no promises, no guarantees. They’ve approached us and they want to be here. It’s not a case of trying (to get them to get come to camp.)."

Anything else on the whine agenda today?

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
you do know there is a roster limit, right? we can't just keep these guys around all season because we have injury prone players. doesn't work that way.

the downside is actually signing one of these turds and getting rid of or not playing someone who deserves the job.

You're going to have to point out the part where somebody signed in the last 72 hours. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
In all seriousness, I don't think anyone not on a contract is very likely to sign one other than Carter and maybe Kaberle if Severson doesn't win a job and Gelinas is still drinking Lupien's Kool-Aid. Assuming Carter comes back they'd have to get rid of TWO forwards to sign a Gomez/Fedotenko/Tootoo (well maybe one if Clowe goes on IR). And that's assuming Matteau/Boucher aren't in the mix.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
then whats the point of inviting them then?

we both know how much the organization loves their veterans. again, they wouldnt be inviting these guys if they thought they had absolutely no shot at making the team. they are clearly interested.

So when they invite junior players like the Brodeur boys and AHL scrubs to camp that's an indication they have a shot to make the team? Some guys actually 'are' warm bodies you know.

What 'deserving' player is going to fall by the wayside, Josefson? He'd have to REALLY stink to be an afterthought since Lou gave him a two-year deal. Anyone else they might replace (Bernier, Brunner) is a vet anyway so who cares if they replace one vet with another one. If there was a chance of replacing Gionta with Gomez you'd be the first one lauding the camp competition :laugh:

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
well he has won 2 stanley cups and scored the stanley cup winning goal for tampa.. soo there is that

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm interested in Gomez and Kaberle, but that's it.

I'm very interested in getting rid of Bernier. Gionta as the healthy scratch forward would really be a plus too.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
So we complain all season and off season about the forwards struggling and needing to do more regarding that situation so we address it somewhat and still have several question marks, but a few agents and players reach out to the team to give them looks and now a little forward competition on a team with struggling forwards is a huge problem....great stuff!!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why not Alfie? He's 10x the player Fedotenko is.

Besides. Seeing Alfie with Jagr? Drooooool

Most likely Alfie wants a contract, not a tryout deal. And we already have fourteen guys signed plus more or less a verbal agreement with Carter.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So we complain all season and off season about the forwards struggling and needing to do more regarding that situation so we address it somewhat and still have several question marks, but a few agents and players reach out to the team to give them looks and now a little forward competition on a team with struggling forwards is a huge problem....great stuff!!

yea inviting Gomez and Fedotenko to camp really is "addressing" the forward situation.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
My girlfriends loves Rusty from his Flyers days.. Hope he makes the team so I can get his shirt and forever torment her hahaha

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
I understand bringing in the Land Of Misfit Toys to see if another Sykora can develop.

Then, I see how there's a chance some of the prospects might not get a fair chance under PDB.

Then, I feel like....................

JDhvvjO.jpg

Semak

Bodies, we need more bodies,
Training camp, bodies
Baby, too many bodies,
Talking old, old bodies,
Lou and Pete checking out those bodies,

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey,
Misfit, misfit camp,
I want to be in a Voltron trade
Misfit, misfit camp...

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I actually like this now that I think about it. Not because of the names coming to camp - who really cares, since probably none of them will make the team - but because there are a lot of players out there who know that the Devils give camp invites a fair shot. Having lots of these means we've dramatically increased our chance of finding a gem who could have a good year (and increase the overall number of assets in the franchise, thus creating trade value).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad