Ruslan Fedotenko invited to camp

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
This is just to have bodies in camp for "competition" sake to put some pressure on some of the forwards we already have who have struggled, to step it up during camp because there are several jobs to be had/lost

Also gives some of the older guys a rest during the pre-season games

Not sure what is so hard to understand about some of these invites, such as the Tootoo one

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't remember ever seeing a team invite 'this' many washed up NHL'ers to camp. Especially one with so many forwards under contract as is. That Major League clip the other day was perfect :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Or like someone on NJDevs just posted...

c2tzt.jpg

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This is just to have bodies in camp for "competition" sake to put some pressure on some of the forwards we already have who have struggled, to step it up during camp because there are several jobs to be had/lost

Also gives some of the older guys a rest during the pre-season games

Not sure what is so hard to understand about some of these invites, such as the Tootoo one

its way more than that man, I'm sorry. we ALREADY had way too many forwards as it is, and we've invited Gomez, Tootoo, and Fedotenko so far. we dont need anymore bodies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
No harm really.

If Matteau and Boucher can handle and outplay 10-year+ (washed up) vets with ease, then they've earned their spots.

Lous Special Sauce

Aug 16, 2013
In the past like 10 years has there been a year where the devils invited more people to camp? Especially after having to many fwds to begin with

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I can see TooToo getting a 2 way contract for added depth. He'll play in Albany with a possible injury callup. Gomez is a courtesy but he could possibly slide in as 3rd line C. Interested to see what happens with Josefson. Kaberle is there in case Gelly holds out of gets included in a deal and although Severson got a lower number, I can;t see him being in the top 6 D. I just don't understand the Fedetenko invite but OK, whatever.

I can't see how Bernier can be on this team....Gionta is also lucky but they signed him for 2 years 1 way so I'd think he's penciled in as the #4C.

I think we're looking and see guys like Ruutu, Zubrus, Ryder, and Brunner all making $2.5 million or more and there's probably only 1, maybe 2 spots open in the top 9...two of these guys will not be on the opening roster. Boucher will not get a spot at camp. These scrubs getting offers are to fill out the 4th line all at $1 million or less each...

So, forwards with spots: Jagr, Elias, Henrique, Zajac, Cammalleri, Clowe?, probably Gionta, probably Havlat. That leaves no more than 6 total spots open in the bottom 6 to be fought for by:

Signed: Ryder, Josefson, Brunner, Bernier, Ruutu
tryout: Carter, Gomez, Tootoo, Fedetenko
rookies: Boucher, Matteau

11 guys for 6 spots....

the 2 rookies plus tootoo in Albany and at least 1 traded and at least one gets waived. Maybe Josefson gets "loaned" to the SEL.

what a mess...

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
its way more than that man, I'm sorry. we ALREADY had way too many forwards as it is, and we've invited Gomez, Tootoo, and Fedotenko so far. we dont need anymore bodies.

What's the big deal? Obviously not all these guys are making the team. Besides, out of all the camp invites, I think only Gomez and Kaberle have a real shot. The rest of these guys are warm bodies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What's the big deal? Obviously not all these guys are making the team. Besides, out of all the camp invites, I think only Gomez and Kaberle have a real shot. The rest of these guys are warm bodies.

then whats the point of inviting them then?

we both know how much the organization loves their veterans. again, they wouldnt be inviting these guys if they thought they had absolutely no shot at making the team. they are clearly interested.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
then whats the point of inviting them then?

we both know how much the organization loves their veterans. again, they wouldnt be inviting these guys if they thought they had absolutely no shot at making the team. they are clearly interested.

The point of it is to create competition among the players for spots. That point has been drilled ad nauseum I really don't think I have to explain it again.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yeah and plenty of old, injury prone every day players that are sure to be in the opening day line up. It wouldn't hurt to keep them a little more rested for the season. What exactly do you think is the downside?

you do know there is a roster limit, right? we can't just keep these guys around all season because we have injury prone players. doesn't work that way.

the downside is actually signing one of these turds and getting rid of or not playing someone who deserves the job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad