GDT: Running Preseason GDT | Gm 8 FINALE | CBJ @ WSH 7 PM EST | 10/08/22 | Stream on bluejackets.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Great game for a heavily prospect team. Pittsburgh doesnt have the big guns but do have lots of NHL guys. With about a minute left I was saying I almost hope they tie it to see how the kids respond so im not upset about that at all

Reactions: majormajor and LJ7

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I think he might be our best bet between them but his ambitious passing might be too much of a possession killer if he doesn't tone it down. Simple plays to keep the puck on Johnny's stick are better. Roslovic's skating and strength on the puck are where I think Roslovic has an edge on our other centers. If he could execute passes the way KJ does then I'd be all in favor of the ambitious stuff.
I can envision it going either way. They might connect more with guys like that but I've got no clue. Johnson, Roslovic, and Jenner all bring distinct on paper reasons for working on that line. I am really excited to see who gets the nod. Another reason for Roslovic is that it would truly free Laine up to be off the puck more opposed to if Jenner plays between them.

Reactions: majormajor

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Didn’t get to watch any of the game except OT… man, I hope Jiricek played better when I wasn’t watching because he literally looked so lost there in overtime. what was that defense?

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Zucker wins it for Pittsburgh 3-2. Not a great end with those two goals.

Anyhow what are the opinions on Neal and Rask? I was only able to watch the latter half, and Rask didn't look half bad. But not sure how I'd justify giving him a roster spot given all the youngsters we have.

Goalies were impressive today, at least until the end. Lalonde was eligible this year but was not drafted if I'm reading this right. Hopefully he doesn't get rattled by the goals, he played great otherwise.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Didn’t get to watch any of the game except OT… man, I hope Jiricek played better when I wasn’t watching because he literally looked so lost there in overtime. what was that defense?
One could argue he was Jackets 2nd best dman today (Blanks #1, Mateychuk and Harper the worst). That OT shift surely didn't look great, neither did his "defending" on Pens tying goal.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Roslovicova tendencia vrátiť sa proti srsti by mohla byť pekná medzi 13 a 29

Zdá sa, že Chinakhov je v prenášaní puku o niečo lepš

I can envision it going either way. They might connect more with guys like that but I've got no clue. Johnson, Roslovic, and Jenner all bring distinct on paper reasons for working on that line. I am really excited to see who gets the nod. Another reason for Roslovic is that it would truly free Laine up to be off the puck more opposed to if Jenner plays between them.
Last year, Laine played with Jenner and Nyquist. I haven't noticed that this line should transition issues. Other than that, Jack again hold the puck longer sometimes then he should have, he didn't improve too much defensively if according this play.

I really liked Bemstrom, the fore/backchecking, the play at the boards... . Too bad he doesn't play center.

Bean still seems heavy to me, although I have a feeling he plays better at the boards.

We'll see how he goes from here, but judging by this game, Marchenko should start in the AHL.

Blankenburg played very well, on the other hand he's skating well at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: tunnelvision

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Last year, Laine played with Jenner and Nyquist. I haven't noticed that this line should transition issues. Other than that, Jack again hold the puck longer sometimes then he should have, he didn't improve too much defensively if according this play.
1664137802731.png

I don't think Jenner is a good center, and he can't be used in the same role he was last season if we want to see the team take the next step unless he really clicks with Gaudreau specifically.

Last edited:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
View attachment 588314
I don't think Jenner is a very good center, and he can't be used in the same role he was last season if we want to see the team take the next step unless he really clicks with Gaudreau specifically.

He was a good center last season. Laine and Gaudreau is enough offensive IQ and ability, Jenners role is clearly supportive and that's what he is pretty good at. Rucchin between Selanne and Kariya, that was one of the best lines in the league. Jenner should be fine for the role of being more defensive, going to the net and scoring on rebounds, win faceoffs, distribute puck to the better hands around you kinda guy.

The other center options don't win enough faceoffs and possession of puck is key to use your offensive players. And their instincts and aspirations are more on the offense side than defense and "support" role. Granted, it could work if KJ played insanely well and they would just play with the puck all shift, keeping it away from opponents until the good chance opened. But you have to gain possession first.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
View attachment 588314
I don't think Jenner is a good center, and he can't be used in the same role he was last season if we want to see the team take the next step unless he really clicks with Gaudreau specifically.
These stats are the maximum to look at.

Who scored goals in important games and effectively lead the team? Nyquist -- Jenner -- Laine line. Mostly against the opponent's best lines.

How did Jack play with Nyquist and Laine? Mostly tried to drive the puck into the OZ himself. No one is denying his skill and hockey vision. But there's other things with players like Gaudreau and Laine are important too. Defense, good play at the boards, in front of the net. Or does Laine make me do the latter (he's the biggest)?

I know Boone isn't an ideal center. But we don't know a player to them now. So at least him.

EDIT: Btw, Gaudreau plays similar like the center.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Getting excited for game 2 and seeing the big boys. This one will be a lot less about small teaching points and all about Laine and Gaudreau starting to form that chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad