Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and Armchair GM talk - XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm all for having fun with this thread but there has to be a dose of reality sometimes.

If the Avs are willing to give up their starter for a top 4 D and change then by all means we can oblige. I just don't see it though.

I was also a Debbie downer on the idea of Hamilton being available though so...

I am also in the reality group.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am also in the reality group.

Oddly enough, the 'reality' groups tend to be the most far off :laugh:

HF has these weird values for players, which is considered 'realistic', most of the time, it's way high.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No. Definitely no. Gaudreau and Monahan need raises still. Bennett will likely get a big raise once his ELC is done. Flames cannot afford Stamkos. He'll likely get 10m+ per year.

With proper management of the cap; it'd be dumb not to throw money at a talent like this. Monahan's good, but he's not elite like Stamkos, and never will be. Johnny's his own beast and can hold down a line on his own (a la Kane).

Would you rather have 8 million tied up in Hudler and Jones, or 10.5-11 tied up in Stamkos?
Even if Monahan and Gaudreau sign 6 million dollar extensions, Calgary would be at 58 million with all core pieces locked up and the defence (main pieces) signed long-term. Calgary has a ton of money coming off the books this year, and then more next year (with big dead-weight contracts).

If the Pens, Chicago, San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa and Caps can year after year be tight up against the cap with big contracts, I don't see why Calgary cannot. Just means you have to avoid the Matt Stajan, Engelland, Wideman type deals moving forward. And I'm all for that.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Man I'd love Stamkos! I don't care, I just think if you got a shot at him, you go for it. Fill in the blanks later, we have lots of young talent coming up that is on cheap deals right now, so should not be a problem to fill holes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You guys are all under valuing Varly pretty hard.

He got a 1st and a 2nd before he truly broke out on the Avs.
Everyone and their mother felt the Avs overpaid for him at the time, plus that was 5 years ago and in the past 5 years the value of first round picks has grown exponentially. So I am not sure you can use that as claiming he is undervalued. I think an offer of a 2nd and a player with 2nd round value and a cap dump is not at all unreasonable.

my prediction should this happen would be:

to Flames:
- Semyon Varlamov
- Zach Redmond
to Avalanche:
- Kris Russell/Dennis Wideman
- Jonas Hiller/Karri Ramo
- 2nd Round Pick

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Everyone and their mother felt the Avs overpaid for him at the time, plus that was 5 years ago and in the past 5 years the value of first round picks has grown exponentially. So I am not sure you can use that as claiming he is undervalued. I think an offer of a 2nd and a player with 2nd round value and a cap dump is not at all unreasonable.

to Flames:
- Semyon Varlamov
- Zach Redmond
to Avalanche:
- 2nd Round Pick

I think you could be on the money but don't post that on the main board because you know Avs fans will rip it to shreds.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think you could be on the money but don't post that on the main board because you know Avs fans will rip it to shreds.
The way I see it is #4 defenseman who has the value of a 2nd+, likely Hiller as he and Berra have worked together well with the Swiss national team and a 2nd round pick. Redmond is included because he is a borderline NHLer that did not make the Avs this year to start but too old to be considered a prospect. Street/Cliche would fit that description too, but I think the Flames would probably want a defenseman, but I would welcome Street back with open arms.

Starix

Jan 31, 2015
Varlamov would be a good acquisition, depending on price of course, his injury record does cause me concern. One way or another they need a veteran number 1 for at least a couple of years. Ortio hasn't proven anything, Gillies will need another year in Stockton (if he does need hip surgery, most of this season will be lost). The status quo isn't working and not much in the free agent class (Talbot, Ward, Reimer...about only notables)

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Aves aren't giving up Varlamov. No reason too at this point.

If he be had cheap at the deadline, I'd take a chance on Bernier. Next year is the last year on his deal, I highly doubt Ramo or Hiller are returning. Give Bernier a chance to rebound here. We don't have much in place for goaltending next year. I'm not sure if Ortio is going to be an answer, but we could either run Bernier and Ortio, or try to also sign someone like Ward to a one or two year deal in the off season.

The way I see it there's not really a clear plan for next season, and there isn't a quick, great solution. So I'd give Bernier a shot if he didn't cost much to acquire.

Aug 21, 2014
Aves aren't giving up Varlamov. No reason too at this point.

If he be had cheap at the deadline, I'd take a chance on Bernier. Next year is the last year on his deal, I highly doubt Ramo or Hiller are returning. Give Bernier a chance to rebound here. We don't have much in place for goaltending next year. I'm not sure if Ortio is going to be an answer, but we could either run Bernier and Ortio, or try to also sign someone like Ward to a one or two year deal in the off season.

The way I see it there's not really a clear plan for next season, and there isn't a quick, great solution. So I'd give Bernier a shot if he didn't cost much to acquire.

Except the Leafs aren't going to give Bernier away.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Maybe not give away, but if Reimer keeps outplaying him and Bernier keeps struggling, they'll consider deciding to move on. And by that point the price wouldn't be too high.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

to Flames:
- Semyon Varlamov
- Zach Redmond
to Avalanche:
- 2nd Round Pick

Two 2nds and cap dump in my opinion is not enough for a goalie who has carried that team and was a Vezina finalist in 2014.

If your proposal was all it took I feel like the deal would have been done already.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Two 2nds and cap dump in my opinion is not enough for a goalie who has carried that team and was a Vezina finalist in 2014.

If your proposal was all it took I feel like the deal would have been done already.

Agree. More to be added. If I were the Avs, I would probably want Kylington or Andersson and perhaps a pick tossed into the deal as well. If I were Flames management, I wouldn't want to that deal.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Agree. More to be added. If I were the Avs, I would probably want Kylington or Andersson and perhaps a pick tossed into the deal as well. If I were Flames management, I wouldn't want to that deal.

Which is pretty much what it boils down to. They are going to want more than we are willing to give up if they are going to entertain the idea of moving Varlamov.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
8. As the GM meetings wrapped up last week in Toronto, several clubs (including Arizona, Calgary and Winnipeg) drove an hour west to see OHL Kitchener host Sarnia. Mike Richards is skating with the Rangers, and there were rumours one NHL team (none of the ones noted above) offered him a tryout. Minnesota was mentioned, but GM Chuck Fletcher said that was incorrect, as he declined several PTO opportunities. Richards’ next court date is Dec. 8.

Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Dreger is suggesting the Jets are looking for a top 6 winger and may be willing to part with Enstrom. So let's make a deal :sarcasm:

to Jets:
- Jiri Hudler
- Dennis Wideman
to Flames:
- Tobias Entrom
- 1st in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad