Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Athletes, and this is always heavily influenced by the union, will almost always seek a fair value, rather than just giving their team a break. That is in no small part due to the fact that their salary affects not just them, but their families too. You look at guys like Glencross and see why. He took a deal with the expectation that when it came time to be paid on his next contract, he'e make up the difference. But we're there now, and he's lost a step and will be fighting for a job next season rather than getting that fat raise. His willingness to play ball with the Flames has cost his family millions of dollars.

I think Gio can and will get an AAV of 7+.

Gio’s extension is gonna be my next topic on my blog.

He needs a 5-year, 45 million dollar contract. There, I said it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Anything between 7-8M per over 5 years will be a fair deal for Giordano. Given that he'll be 33 as mentioned, I highly doubt management will risk handcuffing themselves way down the road, which is why it won't be longer than 5 years. And there's no historical precedent on Giordano's part to think he'll take a hometown discount. If anything, he'll go for exactly what he believes he's worth.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Athletes, and this is always heavily influenced by the union, will almost always seek a fair value, rather than just giving their team a break. That is in no small part due to the fact that their salary affects not just them, but their families too. You look at guys like Glencross and see why. He took a deal with the expectation that when it came time to be paid on his next contract, he'e make up the difference. But we're there now, and he's lost a step and will be fighting for a job next season rather than getting that fat raise. His willingness to play ball with the Flames has cost his family millions of dollars.

I think Gio can and will get an AAV of 7+.

That's the difference though, unlike GlenX, Gio's next contract will take him into retirement years. Money motivates everyone but there's lots of other factors as well, family, playing your whole career for one team, standing with the organization and post playing opportunities. Let's not forget all the guys that have hurt their own careers by signing those boat anchor contracts as well, playing out their careers in the minors. Who would have thought Richards would go from pretty much playoff MVP to the AHL at this stage. It does happen. If his contracts more than $7+/over 5 years, he ends his career hated instead of love by the end.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gio’s extension is gonna be my next topic on my blog.

He needs a 5-year, 45 million dollar contract. There, I said it.
I should do another one of these. Or one of us should. None of Hox, II or myself have done one in almost 3 months :shakehead

I think maybe a draft one.

Also for the sake of hilarity I have changed my blogging username to 100ThirdGraders too :naughty:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
We're talking a 40 year old Gio at 7-8 million??? That's won't work out good for the Flames. 5 year max term, 6 if he shaves a million of the cap hit. Really, if we can agree he's worth about $100 000/game to us, then his cap hit should be about $6.5/year based on the last 3, 82 game seasons.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
The way Gio has helped turn this team around, he deserves to be paid. The term is the only thing that is worrying most fans.

I think he should get no more than 6 years front loaded.

1st year - 10 mil
2nd year - 9 mil
3rd year - 7.5 mil
4th year - 7.5 mil
5th year - 5 mil
6th year - 3 mil

Cap hit of 7 mil for 6 years.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I still say 6x6

Y1 - 8 million w/ NMC
Y2 - 7 million w/ NMC
Y3 - 6 million w/ NMC
Y4 - 6 million w/ NMC
Y5 - 5 million (3 million paid July 1 as signing bonus)
Y6 - 4 million (3 million paid July 1 as signing bonus)

Fair salary. The structure allows us to trade him in the final years if we are not a contender. The "signing bonuses" make it even easier to trade him (read: make him more valuable) because less dollars will be owed.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
A couple of Ducks fans didn't mind this!

Backlund + 15th overall for Theodore + 27th overall. I think the value is pretty close actually. Gives us a high end, near NHL ready defenseman, while making room for Shore at center. I'd rank Theodore right up there with the top tier of defenders this year.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia

Backlund + 15th overall for Theodore + 27th overall. I think the value is pretty close actually. Gives us a high end, near NHL ready defenseman, while making room for Shore at center. I'd rank Theodore right up there with the top tier of defenders this year.

Best case scenario we draft J Roy or Chabot at 15th and they become as good as Theodore, I would do that trade all day.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

I'd do that trade, as long as there is a centerman we can realistically acquire from FA. I wouldn't trade Backlund unless we have someone who can take his place.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd do that trade, as long as there is a centerman we can realistically acquire from FA. I wouldn't trade Backlund unless we have someone who can take his place.

I think Bennett takes over the "#2 center role", if we have one by at least mid season anyways. So we upgrade Backlunds offensive output and take a hit defensively. Other than that it's the same as last year, Granny played a good stretch when Backs was injured anyways.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think Bennett takes over the "#2 center role", if we have one by at least mid season anyways. So we upgrade Backlunds offensive output and take a hit defensively. Other than that it's the same as last year, Granny played a good stretch when Backs was injured anyways.
Backlund and Bennett will play very different rolls next year, you can't just slot Bennett in as #2C with no one in the organization to take the tough defencesive assignments.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Don't really want to move that far down in the draft. Also don't know how the Flames can trade Backlund just yet; no reason to throw Bennett to the wolves right off the bat as the second line centre. 'Earned, never given' and all that nonsense.

No question Bennett will be much better offensively than Backlund, but it's way too soon to expect him to be able to handle the full defensive responsibilities of a second line centre; even Monahan was sheltered to start this year.

If the Ducks are looking for a Beleskey replacement and are willing to move Theodore, I'd base something around Colborne, Shore or Granlund.

Based on the Ducks needs from the thread on the tradeboard:
Our needs are a 3C that is good in all 3 zones and at the dot, as well as a top 6 LW.​
I'd prefer to try and move Stajan with salary retained for a mid round pick.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Don't really want to move that far down in the draft. Also don't know how the Flames can trade Backlund just yet; no reason to throw Bennett to the wolves right off the bat as the second line centre. 'Earned, never given' and all that nonsense.

No question Bennett will be much better offensively than Backlund, but it's way too soon to expect him to be able to handle the full defensive responsibilities of a second line centre; even Monahan was sheltered to start this year.

If the Ducks are looking for a Beleskey replacement and are willing to move Theodore, I'd base something around Colborne, Shore or Granlund.

It's really no different than the situation Monahan was in his first season. The only difference is Jonny and Monahan draw more attention, reducing the pressure on Bennett this year. In my eyes, he's already earned his spot with his playoff performance. Walking in, 2nd game in the NHL to the 1st trip to the playoffs in almost a decade. Thrived under 2nd line pressure and excelled....I'm sold!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's really no different than the situation Monahan was in his first season. The only difference is Jonny and Monahan draw more attention, reducing the pressure on Bennett this year. In my eyes, he's already earned his spot with his playoff performance. Walking in, 2nd game in the NHL to the 1st trip to the playoffs in almost a decade. Thrived under 2nd line pressure and excelled....I'm sold!

We still need to take our time on him. Keep in mind Hartley started having Sam take draws as the 4th line center, so I would imagine we will be sheltering him to a 3rd/4th line center and then gets PP time as a LW.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Eh, Bennett kind of struggled against the Ducks. Granted, so did most of the team but still, he was playing as the second line LW. Playing centre is a different challenge.

And depth down the middle is important. Until one of Arnold/Shore/Janowski/somebody else step up and demonstrate they can be a cheaper third line defensive centre, I'd prefer keeping Backlund. Trading him right now would remind me strongly of the Leafs trading Steen when his value was low.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Backlund and Bennett will play very different rolls next year, you can't just slot Bennett in as #2C with no one in the organization to take the tough defencesive assignments.

I know you love Backs but if you have an opportunity to trade a gifted young, two way 3C and 15th overall for a 20 year old defender, with 1st pairing potential you make that move every time. Guys step up or can be replaced but top pairing potential is had to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad