Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Deadline Festivities

Status
Not open for further replies.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I like hall, but I don't want him back.

He's either going to cost us a ton of assets, or want big money and term when he's a UFA.

He'll be 28 next season, and has still only played one full NHL season without some sort of injury. He has a reckless style that is going to go down fast if he starts slowing down, which is likely going to happen in the next few seasons.

We are not close to contending for even a playoff spot, let alone a cup.

So we'd be giving up assets for a guy who we might be able to resign to a nice retirement contract and we can all watch as we run him out of town for not being the ppg he was 3 times in his entire career.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Posted this earlier this week but no response. Taking another shot at it and hoping someone knows the answer.

"It's been mentioned here a few times but how does 2 team retention work. So lucic as of July 2 will only have 16mil remaining in real dollars. (4mil per). If oilers retain 2mil, and a second team retains 2mil and then shipped off to a 3rd team. Is the retained salary in real dollars or cap dollars? I'm asking, will the 3rd team get lucic for 0 real dollars but a 2mil cap hit? That would b huge for a cheap salary floor team. Or will it be the 3 teams pay 1.33mil each in real dollars."

Retaining $2M/yr is pretty killer AND giving up assets to do it.

Might as well buy him out: Milan Lucic Contract Buyout

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
f*** no. shows you how this team will never learn if they go and reacquire hall. round and round we go with this sh** storm. i would not take a risk reacquiring hall. we're trying to FIX the entire organizational culture... why bring in a big wild card like that?? if they get hall back i can see him and the team having a good stretch to begin with and things looking rosey but it would not surprise me if they start to sag sometime down the road and things get bad again and the team sags just as bad if not worse with the same f***ing pieces.

no. no. no. bring in a completely new management group and let THEM decide if hall should come back (with NO influence from katz or obc). if the new management group thinks it's ok then MAYBE. but f*** no with this if THIS management group is wanting to bring him back.

in any case this all doesn't make any sense and better not f***ing happen.

I wasn't sure I wanted Hall back before this post.

Now? I'm 100% on board.

Reactions: MikeYEG and frag2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Posted this earlier this week but no response. Taking another shot at it and hoping someone knows the answer.

"It's been mentioned here a few times but how does 2 team retention work. So lucic as of July 2 will only have 16mil remaining in real dollars. (4mil per). If oilers retain 2mil, and a second team retains 2mil and then shipped off to a 3rd team. Is the retained salary in real dollars or cap dollars? I'm asking, will the 3rd team get lucic for 0 real dollars but a 2mil cap hit? That would b huge for a cheap salary floor team. Or will it be the 3 teams pay 1.33mil each in real dollars."

The retention is always quoted in cap dollars and the real dollars are paid proportionally. In the scenario you describe all three teams would be on the hook for 1/3 of his cap hit and 1/3 of any remaining salary.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
If I'm Taylor Hall and the Oilers re-acquire me, I'm bolting the first chance I get. Every single player in the league knows what a mess this franchise is, and if he had the opportunity to sign with a perennial playoff team and Cup contender, why would he pass that up to stay here?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
If I'm Taylor Hall and the Oilers re-acquire me, I'm bolting the first chance I get. Every single player in the league knows what a mess this franchise is, and if he had the opportunity to sign with a perennial playoff team and Cup contender, why would he pass that up to stay here?

Insert katz sideways face

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The retention is always quoted in cap dollars and the real dollars are paid proportionally. In the scenario you describe all three teams would be on the hook for 1/3 of his cap hit and 1/3 of any remaining salary.

What is a retained salary transaction/trade

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
  1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.

Looking at #1 is it possible to be in a situation where:

I) Team A retains 50% of the players salary and then Team B trades the player retaining the other 50% of the salary effectively making the player free in dollars/cap for Team C?

Or

II) is it that a players contract can only be retained for a maximum of 50% throughout their contract. So if Team A retained 50% than Team B could not retain any salary when they try and deal him.

OR

III) Is it that Team B can only retain 50% of what they owe the player. So it would effectively be Team A retaining 50%, Team B retaining 50% on what they owe for 75% total retention on the contract with Team C paying the player 25%?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Be prepared for Pulju + Yamamoto + Bear + 1st (unprotected) for Hall

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Looking at #1 is it possible to be in a situation where:

I) Team A retains 50% of the players salary and then Team B trades the player retaining the other 50% of the salary effectively making the player free in dollars/cap for Team C?

Or

II) is it that a players contract can only be retained for a maximum of 50% throughout their contract. So if Team A retained 50% than Team B could not retain any salary when they try and deal him.

OR

III) Is it that Team B can only retain 50% of what they owe the player. So it would effectively be Team A retaining 50%, Team B retaining 50% on what they owe for 75% total retention on the contract with Team C paying the player 25%?
I'll take III) for $1000 Alex! ;)

Reactions: Spawn and AT14C

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
At team that could reall use Lucic...The Toronto Maple Leafs. If there was a double retention that could get him there at say $1.8M I think they would bite.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
At team that could reall use Lucic...The Toronto Maple Leafs. If there was a double retention that could get him there at say $1.8M I think they would bite.

Babcock has been wanting the team to play heavier ahead of the playoffs so perfect opp IMO

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
What's the obsession with Hall? If he wants to sign here. He's welcomed. But spending assets to acquire Hall is bad assets management. Our cupboard isn't exactly stellar

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
I dream of this fairly frequently. I had a buddy get my jersey signed by a 1 Mr. Taylor Hall the day he was drafted as a wedding gift. (If your reading this, you know who you are). I still have it hung on my wall and frequently pine over it. I don't let myself dream of his return as it seems too far fetched. Ahhh what this team could have been.

Why would you trade for him though. If he is willing to come back you wait the extra year and pick him up in free agency. No sense in gutting this team for a player who could be had at the end of next season.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
What's the obsession with Hall? If he wants to sign here. He's welcomed. But spending assets to acquire Hall is bad assets management. Our cupboard isn't exactly stellar

If all it took was Lucic+JP+pick, I wouldn't be against it. Even if it's 1 year.

Reactions: MikeYEG

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

a fanbase starved for absolutely anything latching onto the only thing someone reputable has said in regards to oilers rumors that isn't "They got nothin"

Reactions: McDrai

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Yet another asinine idea / 'suggestion' that Baghdad Bob 'Chief Minister of Disinformation' Stauffer is floating on behalf of his handlers to try and gauge reaction from a thoroughly ticked off fanbase demanding better from the team that they've invested time, $$, and a metric tonne of frustration into.

The Hall ship has sailed, leave it alone.

You need much better amateur scouting, drafting, player development and followup. It's been categorically awful overall, and one year of literally hitting the NHL equivalent of a Powerball lottery win in McDavid does not correct nor make up for the garbage drafting and player development. Get your f***ing shit together, Edmonton Oilers scouts.

You also need to stop the egregious nepotism that sees former ex-players (with very little to no track record invested on the development side i.e. starting at the bottom, coaching / managing junior franchises --> semi-pro / AHL --> NHL) getting NHL front office positions hand wrapped and presented to them. Naturally, this is going to be nigh impossible with an owner who surrounds himself with these obsequious flatterers and hangers on, vicariously re-living their glory years ad nauseam through them and trotting them out to do so in public in some perennial dog and pony show to distract from the mediocre to awful state of the current team (depending on the year..). The fish rots from the head down, so don't expect anything to happen in this regard -- especially with (clown) 'Sideshow Bob' Nicholson in charge of finding a new GM after the Chiarelli hiring debacle.

Sorry for yet another rant but damn.. so many incredibly idiotic ideas, including a retread of a player trade that induced so much vitriol in the first place -- only to try and rehash it and further destroy whatever little remains of organizational depth. It is a terribly misguided effort to rectify aforementioned trade by bringing a Hall that is older and likely to decline further at a premium price tag in another year. WTF are they thinking? God damn, this organization..

Last edited:
Reactions: Raab

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If all it took was Lucic+JP+pick, I wouldn't be against it. Even if it's 1 year.
For Hall?

That package would go for a 5th round pick to get rid of Lucic, not Taylor Hall.

McKenzie was speculating whether the Oilers would want to attach Pulju to get rid of Lucic. A team like Ottawa will need to reach the floor.

Reactions: 780il

Dirt McGintty

Jan 29, 2019
If he waives he is being a/the good guy here. If the team bullies him into waiving then I hope he goes public with it right away and that EDM gets slapped with a huge fine. The NMC are there for a reason. Love them or hate them but players want them for a reason, and normally the ones getting them have earned it (and are older and often with families).

I'd love for them to review options to get out of bad contracts as much as the next guy, but right now these are the rules. You can ask the guy luckily, but if you go in hostile like you basically suggest there should be a heavy price to pay.
Yes giving him an ultimatum like that wouldnt fly and would have a bad look to it when trying to recruit future players. But sitting him in the press box for the majority of the remainder of the year would be just fine. Easily justifiable as it's based on his results and not playing tough committed hockey. He'd likely wave and demand a trade anyways.

Reactions: LaGu

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm pretty sure Hall will be looking for 10M+ in a new deal so how do you fit that salary in with a club that is already up against the cap? Perhaps if you unloaded the Lucic contract but that's not going to happen unless the Federal Government steps in and buys him.

Something also tells me that Hall's best days will be coming to an end within the next few years.

Let's face it, monumental screw ups are not easily fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad