x - RNH - Stone
Khaira - Gagner - Kassian
Benson - Cave - x

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - x
Sekera - Benning

Koskinen
x

I know I'm dreaming but move Lucic and a high pick at the draft to a team needing some salary (Senators) and then sign Stone.

Move Petrovic and Russell, let Marody, Jones, Bear, Pulju and Bouchard start the year in the AHL, keep Drai with McD because it works and find a second pairing right D. The Oil don't have a choice but fill some spots with value contracts and I don't want to give up on Benning...yet.

Give Benson a look to start the season if he looks good in camp otherwise let him ripen in the A as well.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Are we hitting Ctrl+Z on all of Chiarelli's moves!?

This is craziness but I don't think I'd mind Hall. I was a big fan and he seems to have matured since the trade. It really depends on those assets going the other way. Asking price will be high...

Chia was collecting bottom pairing D and losing every other trade. Gretzky wants to collect all former Oilers?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We should not give up any assets for Hall. Just terrible asset management. If he miraculously hits free agency, I would offer a contract but that should be the extent of our pursuit of him!
Past mistakes are past mistakes, you don't want to look down on an opportunity to improve the team to just save face, I'm very much comfortable giving up more than what we got back when we traded him in the first place, though the price of an extension is highly relevant, now that he has a Hart Trophy to his name he certainly won't be cheap. As to Hall hitting free agency I don't suspect he will, he's probably going to get traded to a place he's comfortable signing an extension with and sign one there.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Where is this idea coming from? It's idiotic.
Sadly, I concur. As much as I’d love to have Hall back it’s never going to happen. He is going to get paid when he hits FA. Why would he ever choose Edmonton even if the team could afford him? Stauffer and Chiarelli couldn’t pass an iq test if they got to work together at it.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Sadly, I concur. As much as I’d love to have Hall back it’s never going to happen. He is going to get paid when he hits FA. Why would he ever choose Edmonton even if the team could afford him?

My only guess is that he just bleeds copper and blue. Look at Smytty. He left a team that won the cup the following season (LA Kings) to join a bottom team. It's possible that Hall feels the same way. He did seem rather distraught when he was traded away.

Reactions: frag2

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Also I don't think we are getting Stone or Hall.

Q: So, you're still in the rental picture along with all these other teams but you are going to get Mark Stone or somebody of that calibre?
Gretzky: No, but we're looking to improve the club.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
EDM: Hall
NJ: Puljujarvi + OTT 1st (CBJ)
OTT: Lucic + EDM 1st

We get the scoring winger we desperately need. NJ gets a decent prospect to help with their rebuild and a 1st. OTT gets money to help them reach the cap floor and swaps the CBJ first they just received for Duchene for our pick which will likely be much higher.

Flame away.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
OTT: Lucic + 1st (EDM)

We get the scoring winger we desperately need, NJ gets a decent prospect to help with their rebuild and a 1st, and OTT gets money to help them reach the cap floor and swaps the CBJ first they just received for Duchene for our pick which will likely be much higher.

Flame away.
I mean except for paying Hall $10+M would be rough, that's not a bad deal, though I suspect Ottawa only considers it if the get that 1st unprotected, which I would rather not do all things considered.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Only way we bring Hall back is if its in UFA.

Or if they take a "package" of "assets" like: Larsson + Lucic + Puljujarvi + 1st heavily protected

Lucic + Puljujarvi + Benning + conditional (on resigning) lottery protected 2020 first round pick sounds about right to me.

Larsson has not been great but he is still far and away our best RD. We can't trade him. That would be Pejorative Slured.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

We get the scoring winger we desperately need. NJ gets a decent prospect to help with their rebuild and a 1st. OTT gets money to help them reach the cap floor and swaps the CBJ first they just received for Duchene for our pick which will likely be much higher.

Flame away.
Interesting but not nearly enough for Hall

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Stauffer coming out and saying that the decision to move Hall was made before PC came sure as hell doesn't help either. Especially with all those guys still here.
How the hell does that make sense, Chia was here for a year with us having Hall, if he had a differing viewpoint or wanted to change course he certainly had ample time to do so. I lay every single ounce of blame to be had and then some directly at Chia.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Flame away.

Lucic waives why? Also I feel like Ottawa should be extracting more than just an upgrade in a first here for taking Lucic at the very least. And Jersey can get more than that for Hall for sure.

Reactions: harpoon

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
How the hell does that make sense, Chia was here for a year with us having Hall, if he had a differing viewpoint or wanted to change course he certainly had ample time to do so. I lay every single ounce of blame to be had and then some directly at Chia.
The number of people trying to absolve Chiarelli for his idiocy is staggering. The man was a flat out failure at his job. In every regard.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I don't think it's a coinky-dink that Hall was moved right after Loooch came to town.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Lucic waives why?

As I said in the last thread, if the Oilers by some miracle find some sucker to take that boat anchor, they should tell Lucic that his options are to waive or he'll never see the ice for the rest of his career.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Here's an idea for the draft:
If we end up out of the top 2, so probably around 4 or 5 OA.

1st rounder + Lucic + Puljujarvi + Marody + Bear + Sekera (2m retained)
For
Hall (extends with us) + Zacha

Chiasson - Mcdavid - Drai
Hall - Nuge - X
Benson - Zacha - Gagner
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russel
Jones - Bouchard/Gravel

We get a franchise player with an extension to drive the 2nd line. Already a fan fav and genuinely seemed to like Edmonton, and now that Chia and Tmac are gone he would probably be down to come back. Also get to dump 2 awful contracts.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
As I said in the last thread, if the Oilers by some miracle find some sucker to take that boat anchor, they should tell Lucic that his options are to waive or he'll never see the ice for the rest of his career.

I wouldn't mind that. I don't know that I'd see the Oilers doing that though. We barely even bench him.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I wouldn't mind that. I don't know that I'd see the Oilers doing that though. We barely even bench him.

I don't either but they should take a hard line on a guy who's been stealing money from the team for years.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
f*** no. shows you how this team will never learn if they go and reacquire hall. round and round we go with this sh** storm. i would not take a risk reacquiring hall. we're trying to FIX the entire organizational culture... why bring in a big wild card like that?? if they get hall back i can see him and the team having a good stretch to begin with and things looking rosey but it would not surprise me if they start to sag sometime down the road and things get bad again and the team sags just as bad if not worse with the same f***ing pieces.

no. no. no. bring in a completely new management group and let THEM decide if hall should come back (with NO influence from katz or obc). if the new management group thinks it's ok then MAYBE. but f*** no with this if THIS management group is wanting to bring him back.

in any case this all doesn't make any sense and better not f***ing happen.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018

Flame away.
NJ gets shafted

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Posted this earlier this week but no response. Taking another shot at it and hoping someone knows the answer.

"It's been mentioned here a few times but how does 2 team retention work. So lucic as of July 2 will only have 16mil remaining in real dollars. (4mil per). If oilers retain 2mil, and a second team retains 2mil and then shipped off to a 3rd team. Is the retained salary in real dollars or cap dollars? I'm asking, will the 3rd team get lucic for 0 real dollars but a 2mil cap hit? That would b huge for a cheap salary floor team. Or will it be the 3 teams pay 1.33mil each in real dollars."

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If he waives he is being a/the good guy here. If the team bullies him into waiving then I hope he goes public with it right away and that EDM gets slapped with a huge fine. The NMC are there for a reason. Love them or hate them but players want them for a reason, and normally the ones getting them have earned it (and are older and often with families).

I'd love for them to review options to get out of bad contracts as much as the next guy, but right now these are the rules. You can ask the guy luckily, but if you go in hostile like you basically suggest there should be a heavy price to pay.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This team needs to draft Brayden Points or Viktor Arvidssons not spend assets on former players to sell tickets.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
BryanbryoilVet-McDavid-[I said:
Gagner[/I]
RNH-Drai-Puljujarvi
Benson-Marody
-Khaira
Lucic-Cave-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones -Bouchard/Bear
Bolded are what I'd consider losing hockey-

• Puljujarvi just isn't an NHL player at the moment, he needs development time not force feeding him icetime and praying, and since he's too pig headed to see the AHL as a developmental option we should be shipping him off to Europe and if that isn't an option it forces us to trade him altogether.
  • Benson/Marody- I wouldn't doubt one or even both of these two guys are ready next year, but both on the 3rd line likely won't work out well and while I got love for Khaira he's probably not the right vet (vet used in the loosest of terms) to help them develop and try to keep that line ticking. We should have a better gameplan from the outset any maybe leave the door open a crack to see if they can steal a job, opposed to being handed one.
  • Cave- I don't mind the player, but he hasn't exactly wowed me either, I'd make plans that would likely push him to the 13/14th forward spot.
  • Nurse- isn't a top 4 d-man with the way he plays defense and we don't have 4 d-men there that you'd want to run out on the PK and even worse if heaven forbid one of those guys was injured or in the penalty box. Russell>Nurse
  • Jones-Bouchard/Bear- heck yes to one of those guys making the team, two of those guys being pushed in with no veteran presence beside them., going to result in a lot of goals in our net possibly to the point of being confidence damaging. I don't think this would be putting those young d-men in a position to succeed.
  • Gagner- isn't really a first line player anymore, but McDavid can potentially carry him depending on the veteran support he gets, but Gagner being in the top 6 in general isn't ideal.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If he waives he is being a/the good guy here. If the team bullies him into waiving then I hope he goes public with it right away and that EDM gets slapped with a huge fine. The NMC are there for a reason. Love them or hate them but players want them for a reason, and normally the ones getting them have earned it (and are older and often with families).

There's nothing in the rulebook or the CBA that says you have to play a guy with an NMC, that's ridiculous. You don't even have to put it as a ultimatum, just ask him to waive and if he says no, whoops, your icetime is cut and then whoops you're a healthy scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad