Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Threadmark Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Larsson for Andreas Johnsson.
Pulju+Gagner+stuff for Chris Tierney and Dylan DeMelo.

Neal - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Drai - Yamo
Johnsson - Tierney - Chiasson
Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald

Nurse - Bear
Klefbom - DeMelo
Russell/Jones - Benning

Massive upgrade to the third line while filling Larsson's hole with a quality rental. Alternatively, could drop DeMelo and add Ceci(and Gagner) to Leafs trade.
Cheap RH D, 27 yrs old, and can play tough minutes for a winger who has 6 goals so far this year. No effin way pal. Would you do a deal like that for Archibald, Chiasson or Khaira?? Neither would I. “Massive upgrade.” Sure.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Certainly not a good idea with our present C.
However it is one of the two ways to go ....bringing in more skill for David.....though Kasperi wouldnt be my first choice he could be made to work with the right LW.
This weird nonsense is getting too hard to parse out.

The Oilers don't have anyone named David on the team or in the organization as a player.

Reactions: Seachd and fuswald

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
As far as I'm concerned, JP, Khaira, and Benning are our 3 main trade chips for the deadline. Maybe some prospects could be in play as well. In the offseason Russell is the biggest one to try and move.

Biggest needs are obviously a 3C and a top-6 LW. That being said, I have to wonder, if we get a legitimate 3C, does Haas become the winger we need? I certainly wouldn't be opposed to giving Haas a chance to be the shooter on a line with McDavid and Kassian.

Haas-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Benson-3C-Neal
Nygard/Chiasson-Sheahan-Archibald

Of course acquiring a top-6 winger as well would be ideal (as would moving Chiasson), but looking at it this way I think a 3C seems to be the bigger priority of the two.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
This weird nonsense is getting too hard to parse out.

The Oilers don't have anyone named David on the team or in the organization as a player.
Were you born one??
Ive now gone back into the past thread....lots of guys calling him McJesus...and McD.... and im sure there are others...

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This would depend alot on the 3C we would get.
I don't think it does. The only time Kassian has produced at this rate as an Oiler is on a skill line.

It seems like a waste of valuable assets considering we're not even using the assets in question to address current organizational needs--we're creating a new one.

When we do look for improvements in top six, we should be shopping with the idea that 97 and 29 are going to be playing together. At least in this instance were not going to be distracted with the idea that x is going to shoot the lights out with y. Target players who can reliably produce on their own.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Cheap RH D, 27 yrs old, and can play tough minutes for a winger who has 6 goals so far this year. No effin way pal. Would you do a deal like that for Archibald, Chiasson or Khaira?? Neither would I. “Massive upgrade.” Sure.
Not even addressing the top six. We're trading Larsson for a player to play on the third line?

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I don't think it does. The only time Kassian has produced at this rate as an Oiler is on a skill line.

It seems like a waste of valuable assets considering we're not even using the assets in question to address current organizational needs--we're creating a new one.

When we do look for improvements in top six, we should be shopping with the idea that 97 and 29 are going to be playing together. At least in this instance were not going to be distracted with the idea that x is going to shoot the lights out with y. Target players who can reliably produce on their own.
I think we should keep McDavid and Draisaitl on separate lines....
I guess Kapanen played right wing earlier in his career though ive only ever seen him play right....

is it possible....
Kapanen McDavid Kassian

would work???

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think we should keep McDavid and Draisaitl on separate lines....
I guess Kapanen played right wing earlier in his career though ive only ever seen him play right....

is it possible....
Kapanen McDavid Kassian

would work???
In not saying they should play together. I'm saying we should assume they do. Players we are targeting should be able to create offense in their own.

Kapanen has played LW in Toronto but he plays poorly. He's a RW.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Than what value does Kassian bring to the table? He becomes a 15 point player in the bottom six.

Not really very good reasoning to spend those assets.

That's why we shouldn't over pay him or give him to much term. Put him with RNH or Draisaitl and he's still a sub 30 point player. Mcdavid effect.

Reactions: Anarchism

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

It's pretty easy to make a comparison look lopsided when you overrate one player and massively underrate the other haha.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not even addressing the top six. We're trading Larsson for a player to play on the third line?

If you can get a good, young third line scorer for Larsson, you do it.

He's isn't even a top4 defenseman anymore let alone one that can handle tough minutes.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's pretty easy to make a comparison look lopsided when you overrate one player and massively underrate the other haha.
This argument goes both ways. The end result of your trade is you moving a 20+ minute RHD for a player you intend on running on your third line where in all likelihood, that player wilts offensively.

We get crushed in that trade.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

He's isn't even a top4 defenseman anymore let alone one that can handle tough minutes.

Management stated before the season that they wanted to move towards a highly mobile 2 way defense.....
If thats true (and of course there is transition time involved) Larsson not ideal on the second pairing in the future
Still it sure would be nice to see at least one of Bouchard or Persson improve quite a bit on the defensive side of the puck before we move this guy...

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

He's isn't even top4 defenseman anymore let alone one that can handle tough minutes.
He's been handling tough minutes as of late just fine. Fact of the matter is that Klefbom and Nurse carry a ton of minutes on their own today at all situations. Already moving into the late 20s regularly. In the instance Bear runs into any sophomore struggles next year, the Oilers have absolutely no one to step into those minutes.

Assuming Russell gets moved in the summer, that's a primary PK option gone. Who takes on that role? You lose Larsson and Russell in one offseason, that defense is reeling and their special teams probably ends up in the bottom of the standings again.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
Ok, I am going to get burned for this, but I would actually dump Nurse. I know everyone is going to chime ion in and say that we have cultivated him and tremendous upside...blah blah blah.

The guy’s defensive lapses, after how many seasons now, are still too much for a guy that people are talking about paying $7M. His goal production is nowhere where it needs to be to make that kind of money. Not to mention, his slap shot is crap (he scores mostly on his wrist shot). Too many strikes. If he signed for $4.5-$5.0M, I might like him. But I would take this years Klefbom over Nurse any day of the week and he should be indexed to that IMHO.

Will his agent bite on this, no way in hell. So, therefore I say, dump him while we can to an eastern team and make a serious inroad into an upper 6 winger and 3C. We have enough coming down the pipeline that we should be able to supplant whatever it is that Nurse could offer. That will help us to reduce the payroll further a la the Leafs by bring in more players on ELC’s with a 3yr term. Then, make a run at Markstrom in Vancouver, or Khudobin or Halak as a viable goalie to replace Smith.

As far as the other guys, Khaira has screwed the pooch too many times to stick around.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Than what value does Kassian bring to the table? He becomes a 15 point player in the bottom six.

Not really very good reasoning to spend those assets.

Kassian had 24 even strength points playing on a 4th line with a revolving door of players in '16-'17. He has a lot of value as a bottom 6 player if the Oilers found a better RW for the McDavid line. I bet he'd be a 15 goal, 30 point player on a line with a good 3rd line center.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This argument goes both ways. The end result of your trade is you moving a 20+ minute RHD for a player you intend on running on your third line where in all likelihood, that player wilts offensively.

You aren't getting a legit top6 winger for a guy who is statistically among the five worst defensemen in the league playing top4 minutes.

destro909

Jan 3, 2008

Also, we don't yet have an RD that can step up to play Larsson's minutes. None of Russell, Benning, or Persson are capable of it. I think we need to keep Larsson around until someone (likely Bouchard) pushes him out of his role.

Reactions: BudBundy

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Also, we don't yet have an RD that can step up to play Larsson's minutes. None of Russell, Benning, or Persson are capable of it. I think we need to keep Larsson around until someone (likely Bouchard) pushes him out of his role.

There's a right-handed defenseman(DeMelo) playing better than Larsson coming back to the Oilers in the set of the trades we're discussing.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He's been handling tough minutes as of late just fine. Fact of the matter is that Klefbom and Nurse carry a ton of minutes on their own today at all situations. Already moving into the late 20s regularly. In the instance Bear runs into any sophomore struggles next year, the Oilers have absolutely no one to step into those minutes.

Assuming Russell gets moved in the summer, that's a primary PK option gone. Who takes on that role? You lose Larsson and Russell in one offseason, that defense is reeling and their special teams probably ends up in the bottom of the standings again.

Defensemen that can PK are probably by far the easiest thing to find in the league. That should have absolutely no bearing on a decision.

edit: And if you want to see the PK without Larsson, just look at the last 10 or so games. Tipp pulled him off the PK. Bear has been playing on the second unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Little Fury

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
What is with people on HF who want to upgrade our top 6 by moving Kassian down and adding an unknown element like Kapanen? Kassian has proven to play pretty damn well with McDavid, so he really isn’t the player we should be worrying about. And for all we know Kapanen comes in and has literally zero chemistry with McDavid! We’ve had this problem before, assuming that just anyone can step in and play with our skilled players, but that doesn’t always happen.

We are a team that needs to be paying attention to the salary cap, Kassian is likely the cheapest option to play on the top line who actually has some decent chemistry with McDavid. Also provides that crunch on his line as well.

I’m all for upgrading, but I don’t see this as a sure thing and could just end up being a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce