Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Threadmark Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
The last couple of R&P threads we've been playing around with Threadmarks. Threadmarks are a handy way to organize rumors & solid speculation that spur further discussion within these threads.

Every page of a thread, above the first post on the left hand side will be an [index] drop down menu if a threadmark has been created. Threadmarks will be listed there. Clicking on a threadmark will bring you to that specific post within the thread.

Only the OP and moderators can add threadmarks to a thread. We're fairly vigilant, but drop us an alert if we miss something.

---

Last thread hit 1k. Can be found [here]. This thread has a couple threadmarks if you want to test the functionality.

Continue here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Larsson for Andreas Johnsson.
Pulju+Gagner+stuff for Chris Tierney and Dylan DeMelo.

Neal - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Drai - Yamo
Johnsson - Tierney - Chiasson
Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald

Nurse - Bear
Klefbom - DeMelo
Russell/Jones - Benning

Massive upgrade to the third line while filling Larsson's hole with a quality rental. Alternatively, could drop DeMelo and add Ceci(and Gagner) to Leafs trade.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
@Bryanbryoil

Do you plan on keeping Larsson in an ideal world while breaking in Bouchard? Personally I'd try and get value for Lars in trade and look for a cheaper option to fill Larsson's role. Benning has been more than fine on the 3rd pairing and is paid like a 3rd pairing defenseman but his concussion issues have been very scary and hopefully they are behind him.

Yeah, I try and trade Larsson for an F like Kapanen or Johnsson and bring in a vet stopgap.
Klef-Bear
Nurse-Bouchard
Jones-UFA

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Dont watch many leaf games. Is kerfoot 3rd line centre material or just overhyped by the leaf propaganda machine?

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Pulju+Gagner+stuff for Chris Tierney and Dylan DeMelo.

Is there a comfort level with trading the Pulju asset for a UFA 3rd line center? If we want to subscribe to the belief that a good Pulju evaluation is a low 1st but preferably higher than a singular 2nd, we're probably in the ballpark. Still, I don't like trading assets we have term control over (hah!) for probable rentals.

In this example Tierney, but I've been thinking lately about Haula, and the Pulju/Carolina connection is seemingly present. Pageau also falls into this category.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Is there a comfort level with trading the Pulju asset for a UFA 3rd line center? If we want to subscribe to the belief that a good Pulju evaluation is a low 1st but preferably higher than a singular 2nd, we're probably in the ballpark. Still, I don't like trading assets we have term control over (hah!) for probable rentals.

In this example Tierney, but I've been thinking lately about Haula, and the Pulju/Carolina connection is seemingly present. Pageau also falls into this category.

Tierney is an RFA, so hopefully you can get at least a couple more years out of him.

I've been scouring the #3C market and it's rough. If they can't add a guy like Tierney/Haula, hopefully they could add someone like Nick Cousins when the Habs throw in the towel or even Evan Rodrigues. I think E-Rod might actually be a pretty smart pickup for something like Khaira if they completely strike out.

Reactions: Soli

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Tierney is an RFA, so hopefully you can get at least a few more years out of him.

I've been scouring the #3C market and it's rough. If they can't add a guy like Tierney/Haula, hopefully they could add someone like Nick Cousins when the Habs throw in the towel or even Evan Rodrigues. I think E-Rod might actually be a pretty smart pickup for something like Khaira if they completely strike out.

Whoops. Well that quells that fear, I can get behind some Tierney.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Haula is apparently on the outs in Carolina, might make a perfect target for this team.

Reading through some of HFCanes, it reads as though Haula was getting settled in Vegas with his fiance, planning a wedding, then the trade did some upheaval, hasn't really felt at home in Carolina, has been out with injury part of this season, hasn't been able to get comfortable.

The issue with Haula is he's gonna price himself out of 3rd line center money and we're not in a position to be spending on center depth unless Haula is amicable to signing an extention and they have some grand Nuge plans.

The Canes under Dundon have been a franchise that moves players that don't want to sign contracts there in short order. Problem is they've been winning their trades IMO, and fairly handily. An asset that keeps Aho happy past 5 years is gold for that franchise though...

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
@Bryanbryoil

Yeah, I try and trade Larsson for an F like Kapanen or Johnsson and bring in a vet stopgap.
Klef-Bear
Nurse-Bouchard
Jones-UFA
Andreas Johnsson has 11 even strength points this year and just two goals despite an increased workload. He sees a lot of time flanking some of their best centers as well. Trading Larsson in a deal for him would be a massive step backwards.

Finding a better player in free agency won't be overly difficult this summer.

If Johnsson's the target, the best I'm offering is a package of Benning and Khaira. Even then, you're taking a lot of term back.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Reading through some of HFCanes, it reads as though Haula was getting settled in Vegas with his fiance, planning a wedding, then the trade did some upheaval, hasn't really felt at home in Carolina, has been out with injury part of this season, hasn't been able to get comfortable.

The issue with Haula is he's gonna price himself out of 3rd line center money and we're not in a position to be spending on center depth unless Haula is amicable to signing an extention and they have some grand Nuge plans.

The Canes under Dundon have been a franchise that moves players that don't want to sign contracts there. Problem is they've been winning their trades IMO, and fairly handily. An asset that keeps Aho happy past 5 years is gold for that franchise though...
Again, I'm only thinking about this season, signing him long term might be good if he is comfortable and fits, but I mean as an add for this season he makes a good fit as a #3C

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Andreas Johnsson has 11 even strength points this year and just two goals despite an increased workload. He sees a lot of time flanking some of their best centers as well. Trading Larsson in a deal for him would be a massive step backwards.

Finding a better player in free agency won't be overly difficult this summer.

If Johnsson's the target, the best I'm offering is a package of Benning and Khaira. Even then, you're taking a lot of term back.

Fair enough, I haven't looked at him closely, but his name keeps coming up. Kapanen is the main I guy I go after, I wanted him last year. Larsson+Pulju for Kapanen+?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Fair enough, I haven't looked at him closely, but his name keeps coming up. Kapanen is the main I guy I go after, I wanted him last year. Larsson+Pulju for Kapanen+?

Much rather just hang on to Larsson than anything. I think Benning+Khaira for Johnsson would be a good deal for us, although the Leafs might decline (or might not, who knows).

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
My question is what for? That's a lot you're offering up for a player you're putting on the third line. If you put him in the top six, someone's coming off of it.

Kapanen doesn't really fit our short term needs of a top six LW.

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009
@Bryanbryoil

Klef-Bear
Nurse-Bouchard
Jones-UFA

I haven't watched a whole lot of Jones but I do not see an NHL ready player there. I see more of a stopgap, injury fill-in tweener at the moment. Although, it is quite possible I have just caught his bad games. Is the general consensus that he is ready for the third pair?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
My question is what for? That's a lot you're offering up for a player you're putting on the third line. If you put him in the top six, someone's coming off of it.

Kapanen doesn't really fit our short term needs of a top six LW.

I'd rather see Kapanen on the top line than Kassian.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I haven't watched a whole lot of Jones but I do not see an NHL ready player there. I see more of a stopgap, injury fill-in tweener at the moment. Although, it is quite possible I have just caught his bad games. Is the general consensus that he is ready for the third pair?

I think Jones is serviceable bottom pairing guy if he has a better partner than Kris Russell.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Depends who we are playing. If the other team has a Predator(Tkachuk type of player) I want Kassian on the top line all game. If Kapanen can replace Neal on the top line I would be all for it.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Ok ...Kasperi ....upside we all know ....not great defensively...but skill...

So what do you pay for him.....
And who do you run as LW...Neal no longer really an option in this scenario.....he wasnt ideal anyways....

Whoever this is probably needs to be somewhat skilled and very good defensively....a puck hound...

Maybe in 4 to 6 months playing time Benson could work here well....but thats a mystery yet to unfold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad