Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It might come down to Draisaitl vs Bouchard in the end unless both take so called 'discounts' or we find a way to ship out someone with NMC. (Nurse/Kane/Nuge)

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It might come down to Draisaitl vs Bouchard in the end unless both take so called 'discounts' or we find a way to ship out someone with NMC. (Nurse/Kane/Nuge)
I don't see things being that tight. The cap is expected to go up pretty drastically over the next several seasons. And it's not like the Oilers are giving out big raises elsewhere.

We're still likely looking at moving the same guys this summer.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't see things being that tight. The cap is expected to go up pretty drastically over the next several seasons. And it's not like the Oilers are giving out big raises elsewhere.

We're still likely looking at moving the same guys this summer.
Drai and Bouchard aren't a concern til the following year. Ideally we lock up Holloway and Desharnais and maybe Janmark to a 2 or 3 year deal at close to 1M mark per. That will give us a cushion when negotiating with Drai and Bouch.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Frank Servalli said that Edmonton not being destination FAs want to go to is false. Players want to play with McDavid and Draisaitl. Edmonton has one the lowest rates in all of North America for incorporated workers (which NHL players are). They also have tax shelters available. How you get paid (signing bonuses vs equal amounts year over year) also reduces tax burdens.
Some players do. We see that effect. That’s why we got Hyman and Brown. The McDavid effect is real but it’s not the same as Florida or Vegas effect, and when we don’t have a McDavid we’re back to be being the worst free agency attractiveness in the league (minus maybe Winnipeg). I also find Frank likes to tell our market what it wants to hear, to try to endear himself to our local market.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Some players do. We see that effect. That’s why we got Hyman and Brown. The McDavid effect is real but it’s not the same as Florida or Vegas effect, and when we don’t have a McDavid we’re back to be being the worst free agency attractiveness in the league (minus maybe Winnipeg). I also find Frank likes to tell our market what it wants to hear, to try to endear himself to our local market.
I disagree. Frank hasn’t become the premier NHL writer and president of the PHWA being a suck up to certain NHL markets. I think he just says what he hears and knows.

I’m sure Florida has a pull. I’m sure there players who say there is no way will they play in Florida and Las Vegas. American players, or Canadian players with American wives makes those places a priority- at the same time- guys like Ekholm and Hyman as you indicated- choose Edmonton. I also agree with Frank that Holland isn’t aggressive in his pursuit of trades or even improving this team. He called it last summer that he worries Holland would rest on his laurels that they lost to the Stanley Cup winners twice. They proceeded to add Connor Brown, Perry, and over paid for Henrique and Carrick.

Reactions: McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I disagree. Frank hasn’t become the premier NHL writer and president of the PHWA being a suck up to certain NHL markets. I think he just says what he hears and knows.

I’m sure Florida has a pull. I’m sure there players who say there is no way will they play in Florida and Las Vegas. American players, or Canadian players with American wives makes those places a priority- at the same time- guys like Ekholm and Hyman as you indicated- choose Edmonton. I also agree with Frank that Holland isn’t aggressive in his pursuit of trades or even improving this team. He called it last summer that he worries Holland would rest on his laurels that they lost to the Stanley Cup winners twice. They proceeded to add Connor Brown, Perry, and over paid for Henrique and Carrick.
Since leaving TSN and trying to branch out on his own, he’s done a lot of work in the Edmonton market. And gasses us up on local radio IMO. But anyways we can agree to disagree there, it’s very subjective as to how you interpret Franks local hits.

But point being, outside the McDavid effect we have near league worst free agency attractiveness. I think the decade(s) of darkness already established this.

Reactions: McDoused

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Since leaving TSN and trying to branch out on his own, he’s done a lot of work in the Edmonton market. And gasses us up on local radio IMO. But anyways we can agree to disagree there, it’s very subjective as to how you interpret Franks local hits.

But point being, outside the McDavid effect we have near league worst free agency attractiveness. I think the decade(s) of darkness already established this.
Like I said- Edmonton isn’t a big enough market to suck up to. Hell, Canada isn’t a big enough market.

To your McDavid point- we are in the McDavid era. Players want to win and play with the best. Look at San Jose- no one wants to play there. Winning and quality of players does make a difference. Players are only here for 42 games and only 3/4 of the year if you go all they way in the playoffs.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Like I said- Edmonton isn’t a big enough market to suck up to. Hell, Canada isn’t a big enough market.

To your McDavid point- we are in the McDavid era. Players want to win and play with the best. Look at San Jose- no one wants to play there. Winning and quality of players does make a difference. Players are only here for 42 games and only 3/4 of the year if you go all they way in the playoffs.
It’s not. But when Frank is specifically in front of our market, I feel he gasses up a bit. But anywyas, it’s not like I disagree with franks assessment anyways. I agree with Frank and yourself that there’s a McDavid effect. I’m just saying outside of that, we don’t have much attractiveness unfortunately.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

You're right about San Jose. But there's a good amount of NHL players (plenty of Americans) that still would rather play in the US markets because they cannot handle how crazy Canadian markets are with the fanbases and media alike.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You're right about San Jose. But there's a good amount of NHL players (plenty of Americans) that still would rather play in the US markets because they cannot handle how crazy Canadian markets are with the fanbases and media alike.
A lot of this is family related. Players are fairly well prepared for the negative side of the attention. BUut for families it can be a challenge. In many US cities families can enjoy the benefits of the lifestyle an NHL salary permits without the downside.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
A lot of this is family related. Players are fairly well prepared for the negative side of the attention. BUut for families it can be a challenge. In many US cities families can enjoy the benefits of the lifestyle an NHL salary permits without the downside.

That too. I recall when Taylor Hall said years ago that there's a huge difference when he lived in NJ compared to Edmonton. He said he could walk around in the streets of NJ without anybody realizing who he is. Here's obviously a different story. It's just the way it goes sometimes. I do appreciate it when a player chooses to come here regardless though. There's lots of pressure here, but heck, even Laddy Smid said it on that 'Oil change' series a decade ago that if you play like you honestly give a shit here, the fans will love and adore you. But if you play like shit, you will be criticized for it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That too. I recall when Taylor Hall said years ago that there's a huge difference when he lived in NJ compared to Edmonton. He said he could walk around in the streets of NJ without anybody realizing who he is. Here's obviously a different story. It's just the way it goes sometimes. I do appreciate it when a player chooses to come here regardless though. There's lots of pressure here, but heck, even Laddy Smid said it on that 'Oil change' series a decade ago that if you play like you honestly give a shit here, the fans will love and adore you. But if you play like shit, you will be criticized for it.
Traditionally young players have loved playing in Edmonton because hockey is so important. The problem is with UFA's there are others involved in the equation most often.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He could also take a Twitter swipe at Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift or whoever and the same thing happened.

:laugh:

• Haha

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Let's pray Nichuskin contract gets terminated and Edmonton signs him like they did with Kane.
The guy keeps relapsing in the playoffs, not sure we need that. But hey if he would sign for cheap maybe. Also if he relapses again I don’t think it counts towards the cap

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Who are some legit 3rd line targets this summer? Guys who can actually play without needing McDavid or Draisaitl to carry them around.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad