Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
i really don't see Nurse waiving his clause. He's great friends with the core of the team, had been here forever and signed long-term.
Of course I want him gone. But he ain't going nowhere.
And the same goes for Nuge.

This whole trend of handing out full NMC to decent players in this league is out of control. The clause should realistically only be for superstars. Like 2 per team

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
i really don't see Nurse waiving his clause. He's great friends with the core of the team, had been here forever and signed long-term.

This whole trend of handing out full NMC to decent players in this league is out of control. The clause should realistically only be for superstars. Like 2 per team
I could see him waiving for Toronto. Move back home,
Play for the same city his sister does, be around all his other friends.
ITs the only team that makes sense.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Is there any truth to Holland going to the Blue Jackets once the season is done? Oiler Nation and a few others are saying he is linked

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I don't see him waiving it either, but we have to at least try to get rid of him. $9.25 M for a 3-5 D is not a winning formula. Bouchard needs to be making big bucks the year after next, so the summer of 2025 is likely when we'll see them try and move Nurse, it won't happen this year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I would spend less money on adding forwards as they don't do anything any way outside of McDavid, Drai and Hyman. Use the $$ and get Nurse a babysitter

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Hunter essentially cheating the drafts to build out and stack his London Knights team should be a huge red flag.
I hate the Knights, but he isn't cheating. He's taking advantage of a flawed system. I can think of a few NHL teams who do the same. He's a great evaluator of talent. Even last year he pushed Toronto to reach for Cowan. Looking pretty good so far...

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I hate the Knights, but he isn't cheating. He's taking advantage of a flawed system. I can think of a few NHL teams who do the same. He's a great evaluator of talent. Even last year he pushed Toronto to reach for Cowan. Looking pretty good so far...
With bribes and shit and to convince players to only be drafted by the Knights? Maybe it’s not “cheating” and technically not against the rules, but it’s close enough where I’ll call it cheating. And this type of drafting advantage won’t be available to him in the NHL, so how can we be assured he can still build a team without that kind of advantage?

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I don't see him waiving it either, but we have to at least try to get rid of him. $9.25 M for a 3-5 D is not a winning formula. Bouchard needs to be making big bucks the year after next, so the summer of 2025 is likely when we'll see them try and move Nurse, it won't happen this year.
Who in their right mind is going to take that contact for that player?
How many first rounders are we going to include with that?

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
With bribes and shit and to convince players to only be drafted by the Knights? Maybe it’s not “cheating” and technically not against the rules, but it’s close enough where I’ll call it cheating. And this type of drafting advantage won’t be available to him in the NHL, so how can we be assured he can still build a team without that kind of advantage?

Doing whatever the hell it takes to win, within the rules (& grey area), is an attitude that this organization needs. When in the business of winning, no stone should be left unturned. Moral victories can go to the other guys. We've been the nice guys for waaaay to long.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

We’ve had ‘honourable’ management and team culture for almost 20 years now (Lowe sucks but he took advantage that one post cap year so am counting after that) and where did that get the team? A WCF appearance

Not sure if Hunter is the answer but if he’s willing to game the system to win, that would be a good sign. Like @samiam said, take the advantages you can get

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
Agreed.

Helly got lit up. Swayman was elite against Toronto and now Florida is lighting him up.

In both cases, the goaltender wasn't the issue. The team in front of them found opponents that outclassed them.

Edmonton has had games/moments in both rounds where they LET they opponent outclass them and Stu gets lit up.

But when the team plays solid in-front of him, he is fantastic. Remember that stretch we had of allowing two or fewer goals?

If we don't get the job done, keep making the team better in front of him
I’ve tried supporting skinner and I still see him as a 1b. But when you give up 4 goals on 6 high danger shots. You simply aren’t good enough. When your team is consistently out chancing the other team and you shit the bed. It’s not good enough. There are lots of issues in this team. Skinner is one of them.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

It shows the Oilers with $9,833,333 mil of cap space. Not sure if the bonuses are included.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We’ve had ‘honourable’ management and team culture for almost 20 years now (Lowe sucks but he took advantage that one post cap year so am counting after that) and where did that get the team? A WCF appearance

Not sure if Hunter is the answer but if he’s willing to game the system to win, that would be a good sign. Like @samiam said, take the advantages you can get
And if Edmonton and the NhL just doesn’t have anything for him to take advantage of, wouldn’t you want a guy who can identify talent and build a roster within the rules?

Edmontons got to be one of the most disadvantaged markets. No tax advantage. No free agency attriactiveness. So he can LtIr guys like Vegas does assuming that loop
Hole is even kept in place. What else can he really do to bend the rules for us?

Reactions: TB12

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I propose we simply travel back in time. Just don’t make any trades from like 2015 until we draft Bouchard. Draft Tkachuk, Barzal and Wyatt J, either have Hall or Larsson, keep Eberle, and if it’s possible to still sign Hyman and trade for Ekholm do that too.

Just don’t blow the assets. If you gotta trade Barzal for a dman, whatever, still loaded with talent.

I think we’re stuck in this timeline though boys. Dump cap at the draft so we have room in the off season and for free agency. Buyout Campbell. Pray to god that we can get a 2nd pair D, depth scoring and a goalie.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
And if Edmonton and the NhL just doesn’t have anything for him to take advantage of, wouldn’t you want a guy who can identify talent and build a roster within the rules?

Edmontons got to be one of the most disadvantaged markets. No tax advantage. No free agency attriactiveness. So he can LtIr guys like Vegas does assuming that loop
Hole is even kept in place. What else can he really do to bend the rules for us?

I don’t think either of us know enough to answer that question

My point isn’t just that he’s willing to break rules, it would be a mentality of doing what it takes to win. Not getting attached to draft picks, players etc could be something valuable. Drafting will be the most important thing for a small market team and whoever they bring in will need to be strong at that (for the future, little too late now to draft impact players for this era).

I’m not saying Hunter is the guy or that he’d be able to do what it takes to win in the NHL but I see his willingness to take advantage of the rules he has to play in as a good thing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don’t think either of us know enough to answer that question

My point isn’t just that he’s willing to break rules, it would be a mentality of doing what it takes to win. Not getting attached to draft picks, players etc could be something valuable. Drafting will be the most important thing for a small market team and whoever they bring in will need to be strong at that (for the future, little too late now to draft impact players for this era).

I’m not saying Hunter is the guy or that he’d be able to do what it takes to win in the NHL but I see his willingness to take advantage of the rules he has to play in as a good thing.
I am interested in someone that can create a competitive advantage.
What ever that takes.

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I propose we simply travel back in time. Just don’t make any trades from like 2015 until we draft Bouchard. Draft Tkachuk, Barzal and Wyatt J, either have Hall or Larsson, keep Eberle, and if it’s possible to still sign Hyman and trade for Ekholm do that too.

Just don’t blow the assets. If you gotta trade Barzal for a dman, whatever, still loaded with talent.

I think we’re stuck in this timeline though boys. Dump cap at the draft so we have room in the off season and for free agency. Buyout Campbell. Pray to god that we can get a 2nd pair D, depth scoring and a goalie.
So essentially just go back keep all the good and get rid of the bad?

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
It shows the Oilers with $9,833,333 mil of cap space. Not sure if the bonuses are included.

Yep
1715969516491.png

So essentially just go back keep all the good and get rid of the bad?

Worked for tampa

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I have a lot of connected contacts in the OHL. They don't bribe the players. They offer players one of the best development programs and they convince them to tell other teams they only want to be drafted by London. Many players will then threaten to sign in the States if they don't get picked to a team they want.

I'm not talking about a drafting advantage in the NHL. Look at the Knights and Lightning taking advantage of Cap loopholes. I'm not upset with the GM's, I'm upset with the league. The GM's deserve the cups they won.

What I'm saying about Hunter is he's not afraid to be shady within the rules.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Yes but that is only with 7 forwards, 2 goalies and 5 d. 9.8 mill for 6-8 skaters is...not a ton.
We have 5 top 6 skaters signed, 2 bottom 6 forwards signed and 5/6 d. So if the team is going to do much big moves will be needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad