Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Who in their right mind is going to take that contact for that player?
How many first rounders are we going to include with that?

He is really a 6 million player, or thereabouts. So you'd just have to cover the 3 million difference via a third team to hold retention. It's a long contract though to retain on, so no idea what it would take to entice that third team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don’t think either of us know enough to answer that question

My point isn’t just that he’s willing to break rules, it would be a mentality of doing what it takes to win. Not getting attached to draft picks, players etc could be something valuable. Drafting will be the most important thing for a small market team and whoever they bring in will need to be strong at that (for the future, little too late now to draft impact players for this era).

I’m not saying Hunter is the guy or that he’d be able to do what it takes to win in the NHL but I see his willingness to take advantage of the rules he has to play in as a good thing.
That ain't Hunter.

The Knights almost never trade their 1st round pick and very rarely make trades. They draft players and keep them. They also have a painfully bad drafting track record outside a few hits(Bouchard and Robert Thomas) that's only propped up by NCAA players refusing to play for anyone else.

There's a weird narrative in the media comparing Hunter to McCrimmon, but he's almost exactly the OHL's version of Ken Holland.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Why? We need someone to bend the rules and be cutthroat like McCrimmom.

Lol that’s exactly the type of GM we need. Someone always flirting with the rules.
Hey I get that cutthroat win at all
costs GMing is a good quality. But what rules are we really going to skirt? LTIR? Any GM can really do that given the right player situation and cooperation. And that loop hole may get closed at the next CBA, there’s enough noise about it that I think it will.

So what are we left with? A GM with no rules to skirt and no history of actual talent evaluation.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yes but that is only with 7 forwards, 2 goalies and 5 d. 9.8 mill for 6-8 skaters is...not a ton.
We have 5 top 6 skaters signed, 2 bottom 6 forwards signed and 5/6 d. So if the team is going to do much big moves will be needed.
Toughest signing would be Desharnais and I don't expect him to get more than 2M per. All other players including Holloway should be signed for less.

We basically have 9M+ to sign Desharnais, Holloway, Broberg and 4 league min forwards. This is with Campbell at full cap hit as our backup.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
That ain't Hunter.

The Knights almost never trade their 1st round pick and very rarely make trades. They draft players and keep them. They also have a painfully bad drafting track record outside a few hits(Bouchard and Robert Thomas) that's only propped up by NCAA players refusing to play for anyone else.

There's a weird narrative in the media comparing Hunter to McCrimmon, but he's almost exactly the OHL's version of Ken Holland.
It's OHL. I mean who cares. You have no cap knowledge and there are rarely trades it's irrelevant experience.

Reactions: McDoused

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Toughest signing would be Desharnais and I don't expect him to get more than 2M per. All other players including Holloway should be signed for less.

We basically have 9M+ to sign Desharnais, Holloway, Broberg and 4 league min forwards. This is with Campbell at full cap hit as our backup.
This looks tough
But
Could also be jumping the gun
The situation could still be totally different depending on what Draisaitl wants

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

That’s a pretty bad bottom 6. Gotta move on from Campbell.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
And if Edmonton and the NhL just doesn’t have anything for him to take advantage of, wouldn’t you want a guy who can identify talent and build a roster within the rules?

Edmontons got to be one of the most disadvantaged markets. No tax advantage. No free agency attriactiveness. So he can LtIr guys like Vegas does assuming that loop
Hole is even kept in place. What else can he really do to bend the rules for us?
Frank Servalli said that Edmonton not being destination FAs want to go to is false. Players want to play with McDavid and Draisaitl. Edmonton has one the lowest rates in all of North America for incorporated workers (which NHL players are). They also have tax shelters available. How you get paid (signing bonuses vs equal amounts year over year) also reduces tax burdens.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Frank Servalli said that Edmonton not being destination FAs want to go to is false. Players want to play with McDavid and Draisaitl. Edmonton has one the lowest rates in all of North America for incorporated workers (which NHL players are). They also have tax shelters available. How you get paid (signing bonuses vs equal amounts year over year) also reduces tax burdens.
What evidence is there that players are attracted here because of Mcdavid and draisaitl? There’s not a single free agent signing I could point to for that, Hyman? Maybe, but even then he signed a pretty healthy deal that’s turned out spectacularly but I dont”t think those 2 were the driver.

The team has had no success even with those two and there is massive, massive uncertainty moving forward if one or neither resigns here. There are no picks or prospects in the system for a FA to look at and say this team is on the upswing. Cap issues and bad contracts are too common. The team is old and slow and doesn’t have another gear for the playoffs. The city would appeal to only a select group of players looking for a different lifestyle.

To summarize, I can’t see this team being a destination. Hasn’t been so far and it only gets harder from here.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
12 years at 1.5M per year for the buyout if I’m not mistaken
Plus what ever it cost to replace him
Might be a good idea actually
That would only be acceptable if there is a UFA Dman replacement.

And the problem there is that buyout window is closed before that can happen. Maybe a trade could get it done

I'm not saying I'm in favor of this btw. I'm just saying that we cannot do this just for cap space.

I suppose I could see a day where we have to find a ton of cap to re sign Bouchard. Then that buyout option might have at least some merit

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
That would only be acceptable if there is a UFA Dman replacement.

And the problem there is that buyout window is closed before that can happen. Maybe a trade could get it done

I'm not saying I'm in favor of this btw. I'm just saying that we cannot do this just for cap space.

I suppose I could see a day where we have to find a ton of cap to re sign Bouchard. Then that buyout option might have at least some merit
I can’t see that contract being tradeable without healthy retention and multiple sweeteners.
But
Like I said before, depending on what draisaitl wants to do this summer, we might have quite a bit of cap space. He’d be silly if he wanted anything less than 105 or 120M
No need to worry too much until we know the answer to that

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I can’t see that contract being tradeable without healthy retention and multiple sweeteners.
But
Like I said before, depending on what draisaitl wants to do this summer, we might have quite a bit of cap space. He’d be silly if he wanted anything less than 105 or 120M
No need to worry too much until we know the answer to that
If the obstacle with Drai is money, that isn't an obstacle. We will pay it. By the time that Drai's new deal kicks in, the dead cap for Neal and Brown will be gone. The cap will have jumped like 6-7 million. The only danger is that Drai might want to try a new team where he can be top dog

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Nurse's contract is pretty much buyout proof so there is almost no reason to even talk about it now. The team would carry $8.7M in dead cap space the year McDavid's deal was up. And then $9.3M for the two years after that. If Draisaitl and McDavid left then perhaps it could make some sense on the back end of his deal.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
What evidence is there that players are attracted here because of Mcdavid and draisaitl? There’s not a single free agent signing I could point to for that, Hyman? Maybe, but even then he signed a pretty healthy deal that’s turned out spectacularly but I dont”t think those 2 were the driver.

The team has had no success even with those two and there is massive, massive uncertainty moving forward if one or neither resigns here. There are no picks or prospects in the system for a FA to look at and say this team is on the upswing. Cap issues and bad contracts are too common. The team is old and slow and doesn’t have another gear for the playoffs. The city would appeal to only a select group of players looking for a different lifestyle.

To summarize, I can’t see this team being a destination. Hasn’t been so far and it only gets harder from here.

Corey Perry literally said he signed in Edmonton because his kids were McDavid fans. Connor Brown was lured by McDavid. Not saying either worked out but these boards were very excited at the time that we got these guys.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I know we're all still bashing Holland because this team isn't perfect but I don't think we have a whole lot of wholes that we can't fix. IMO our top 6 is set next year with Holloway and Kane showing that they work well with Draisaitl. Our top pair is one of the best in the league. I dont honestly see the need for a "major shakeup". This team is still a top 5 team.

1. Extend Draisaitl
2. Sign Desharnais, Pickard and Janmark to market value but don't overpay.
3. If Henrique is willing to take a discount, try and sign him for his flexibility.
4. Let Foegele, Perry, Carrick, Brown and Stetcher walk or pay them less than 1M.
5. Buyout Jack Campbell
6. Move out Cody Ceci and replace with one of Carrier/Walker/Pesce/Tanev
7. Try and upgrade on Skinner, might have to wait for someone like Saros at the deadline.

The rest is minor tweaking and trying to find value in guys.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
If the obstacle with Drai is money, that isn't an obstacle. We will pay it. By the time that Drai's new deal kicks in, the dead cap for Neal and Brown will be gone. The cap will have jumped like 6-7 million. The only danger is that Drai might want to try a new team where he can be top dog
True
But
Even if the cap goes up that much and we sign him to a 15M contract, we will have 26M to fill at least 13 spots and another important expiring contract.
A bit of a pickling situation ahead potentially

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
True
But
Even if the cap goes up that much and we sign him to a 15M contract, we will have 26M to fill at least 13 spots and another important expiring contract.
A bit of a pickling situation ahead potentially
GMs tend to screw themselves in the long term success. We still have Drai for 1 year at 8.5 aav.

Maybe also Drai says he wants to see what McDavid does before committing to the Oilers. That messes us up because it would mean allowing Drai to spend some time as a UFA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad