Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ullmark, Talbot and Rodrigue. Let's go!
I love it in theory. I can't imagine Ullmark waiving his NTC for here though, and didn't Talbot's wife say some pretty nasty things about Oiler fans after he moved on? Maybe it was someone else's wife, there's been a few. Anyway, if she left unhappy, then I can't see Talbot coming back either.

It all depends on who we get as the new GM, and how creative that person can be with moving out Nurse (if he would waive), Campbell, and maybe even Skinner. I'd be fine keeping Stu, for the record. I just think that with his playoff performance, he should be our 1B, not our 1A (or 1). His salary structure keeps him in line with what a good 1B should make.

WHY the f*** would Leon leave for f***ing SJ?

Also Mark Hunter for Ken Holland
Of all the teams that I fear Leon leaves us for, San Jose is among the ones I am least worried about. He wants to play on a team that has a chance to win. He doesn't want to come in and lead a bunch of rag-tag b@tches and try to drag them to the playoffs - he can do that here with McDavid, Nuge, Ekholm and Bouchard to go along with the group of rag tag b@tches, ha ha.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
If Drai doesn't want to extend why wouldn't they? He's a stud #1 defenseman.
Guy is overrated and hes almost 10 million himself. You lose Bouchard at that point because you won't be able to pay him what he wants and you can't have three dmen making 8 million plus a year

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Cbj is after the wrong Holland imo. If Ekholm and Hyman were moved Brad convinced Ken to make then I would hope we can somehow retain Brad Holland in the event Ken doesn't retire and takes a job with Columbus.

Reactions: foshizzle

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
FWIW the Holland to CBJ rumour was also floated around by AJ Jakubec on the TSN 1200 who also has close Oilers ties

Might be something but I really don't see how he's a fit their at all

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Would Mark Hunter be willing to exploit loopholes i.e. keeping Kane on LTIR until playoffs? Or is he more of a “nice guy”?

• Haha
Reactions: frag2

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Guy is overrated and hes almost 10 million himself. You lose Bouchard at that point because you won't be able to pay him what he wants and you can't have three dmen making 8 million plus a year
Have to agree to disagree then. In a situation where Drai doesn't extend, I'd flip him for a #1 in a heartbeat and work out the rest later.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I don't know seems like he is gone regardless. Even if we win the cup we need to restructure the drafting and developing side of things and it seems clear Jackson is going to be the one to continue fixing that by bringing in someone more aligned to his way of thinking

I'm also curious at his age if he even wants to get into another GM role with a rebuilding club. Maybe just president of hockey operations or some sort of senior advisor in CBJ makes more sense to me.
He's done an awful job as GM and even Stauffer grew a set and is comfortable bashing him at this point.

He won't be back. He can't draft, develop, sign contracts.

Were in year 500 McDrai and drai still needs to have Warren Foegele and Janmark tier wingers.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

Let's get someone proven from a Tampa, Carolina, dallas etc where they've actually developed a winning team.

Not someone who knows nothing about caps and salary management.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
McAvoy for Drai.

The trade is a 1 for 1.

Boston wouldn't do it.
I like mcAvoy and the need for a stud D in Edmonton is apparent, but methinks Boston would have to toss a secondary player or higher draft pick to make this work from Edmonton’s side.

McAvoy is not Drai’s equal. One is a Hart and 3x50 goal scorer and one of a real good defencemen (has he even been a Norris consideration in his career?)

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I find it odd that Holland is interested in another GM position. Figured he would retire after this

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I find it odd that Holland is interested in another GM position. Figured he would retire after this
Especially in CBJ. That team is in disarray. I don't see Holland as a guy who builds from the beginning. His success have been in maintaining a top end squad and even then he did this with a tremendous support staff.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I like mcAvoy and the need for a stud D in Edmonton is apparent, but methinks Boston would have to toss a secondary player or higher draft pick to make this work from Edmonton’s side.

McAvoy is not Drai’s equal. One is a Hart and 3x50 goal scorer and one of a real good defencemen (has he even been a Norris consideration in his career?)
They aren't equal, but the contracts are pretty different though too. Drai is signed for one more year while McAvoy is signed until 2030. Might be tough to get premium value for Drai even with an extension in place.

I don't think McAvoy got votes last year, but he was top 5 in votes in the two years prior.

Reactions: brentashton

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Stay away.

Oilers wanted Kelly McCrimmon before Ken Holland became available last time, and Vegas immediately promoted him to GM to prevent him from leaving. Now Vegas is setting a new standard for aggressive team building that's very reminiscent of junior hockey style managing, and owners around the league probably have been looking on in envy and might not be as enamored with the "slow and steady" method of team building in the cap era anymore. Ken Holland definitely fits the mold for building over time, and when it comes to aggressive junior style managing, the owner/GM of the London Knights is probably the pinnacle of that mindset.

Should be interesting if the Oilers decide to go that route.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Oilers wanted Kelly McCrimmon before Ken Holland became available last time, and Vegas immediately promoted him to GM to prevent him from leaving. Now Vegas is setting a new standard for aggressive team building that's very reminiscent of junior hockey style managing, and owners around the league probably have been looking on in envy and might not be as enamored with the "slow and steady" method of team building in the cap era anymore. Ken Holland definitely fits the mold for building over time, and when it comes to aggressive junior style managing, the owner/GM of the London Knights is probably the pinnacle of that mindset.

Should be interesting if the Oilers decide to go that route.
I'd say Hunter actually manages the Knights a lot like Holland manages.

The Hunters rarely make trades. They always build through the draft. The thing is they basically build through the draft with four or five 1st round picks every year because of all the shady stuff they do behind the scenes. London also gets first dibs on imports.

If you want a GM that identifies talent and makes a bunch of smart trades, that isn't Hunter.

Reactions: oil Leaks

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I'd say Hunter actually manages the Knights a lot like Holland manages.

The Hunters rarely make trades. They always build through the draft. The thing is they basically build through the draft with four or five 1st round picks every year because of all the shady stuff they do behind the scenes. London also gets first dibs on imports.

If you want a GM that identifies talent and makes a bunch of smart trades, that isn't Hunter.
Yeah there are actual good experienced quality in the NHL. No idea why anyone would be high on hunter. Guy needs to do shady stuff to win in a mickey mouse league where he can get away with it.

Were talking about Edmonton gm here. You even try a fraction of what he's done and we'll lose 10 years of draft picks.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

When looking to resign I'd say a few major components are

1. Contender
2. Compensation
3. Livestyle
4. Relationships

Edmonton can offer 1 2 4 easily. The one thing we lack is, yes we're not Columbus. You're actually a somebody here in the city and I'm sure it's annoying going to get some avocados and a bunch of 20 something girls want pictures for their Instagram.

No one can offer 8 years except us and no one can offer a teammate and friend like mcdavid.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I just don't know how you don't blow this team up. Like you don't need to get rid of McDrai but like.

Nurse needs to go, trade him for Marner and then try and dump Marner on like Utah and get a guy like Schmaltz back or honestly just picks.

Do the old rumored Nuge for Ullmark. I like Nuge but he is a f***ing ghost in the playoffs.

Get a real 3c again, McLeod isn't it. He is a winger pretending to be a center.

Target guys like Demelo/Pesce/Toffoli/Debrusk as UFAs.

Just buyout Campbell.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
3 way trade
Nurse to Toronto, Marner to Arizona, Geekie, 1st to Edmonton

McLeod, Bourgault, 1st, 2nd for Buchnevich with like 2 mill retention.

Cody Ceci for Future Considerations

Kulak a few picks for Marcus Petterson

Nuge for Ulmark

Make a few signings...

Run

Debrusk - McDavid - Hyman
Buchnevich - Draisaitl - Toffoli
Holloway - Henrique - Kane
Janmark - Stenlund - Lavoie

Ekholm - Bouchard
Petterson - Demelo
Broberg - Desharnais