Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I see the Oilers signed goalie from Brock.
Whats more impressive is UNB went 4-0 in tournament and did not allow a goal
47 games undefeated. 10 titles so far for UNB. 16 for Alberta. I would like to see a North American University Cup. I realize teams in Canada are usually older then American teams. I would like to see Alberta and UNB against the American best
Alberta has taken a big step back the last few years. Not near as dominant as they have been. Hell, they finished 5th in Canada West this year.

For a few years in the late 90's there was an NCAA/USport (CIAU, CIS, etc) matchup of a USport all-star team vs. the NCAA all-stars. It was pretty awesome to watch. The older, more physical USport guys vs. the younger and really fast NCAA dudes. Not sure why it was mothballed.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I believe that Henrique will be more helpful in the playoffs than Toffoli. Goal scoring was not our problem against VGK, it was defence. I think Henrique moves the needle more in that area. He also just had a kid right before he got traded, so he has quite a bit going on in his personal life. I believe the best is still yet to come from him.

Just my 2 cents

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I believe that Henrique will be more helpful in the playoffs than Toffoli. Goal scoring was not our problem against VGK, it was defence. I think Henrique moves the needle more in that area. He also just had a kid right before he got traded, so he has quite a bit going on in his personal life. I believe the best is still yet to come from him.

Just my 2 cents
For most of his career Toffoli was seen as a pretty solid two way winger, for what it's worth.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
People really think:

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stecher
Kulak - Desharnais

Is suppose to win a stanley cup lol, we better hope Nurse turns into Chris Pronger.
I doubt that Ceci is the odd man out. Regardless, unless Skinner or another Oilers goalie stands on his head, that is not a good enough D to win a cup.

Reactions: Duke74 and McHelpus

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Just my 2 cents
I’m theory you are right. Right now Henrique doesn’t even know what defense is.

Kwiatkowski18

Jul 13, 2015
I’m theory you are right. Right now Henrique doesn’t even know what defense is.
You can tell you've never played high level sports or have been traded. Adjustment periods are very real - especially at a very high level of play. You're learning the city, teammates, systems, habits. You're overwhelmed to the core right off the hop and considering personally what's going on for him, it makes sense. Give him time to settle in before judging the player.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Or offense. He has 5 sog in 5 games.
371st/427 among forwards in scoring chances for per 60 in the time he's been an Oiler, 416/427 in scoring chances against per 60.

Yes, there's mitigating circumstances, and his linemates have been shit too, but it's hard to polish a turd to the point where those results are acceptable.

I sincerely hope he comes out and has a few great games here. We need it bad.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You can tell you've never played high level sports or have been traded. Adjustment periods are very real - especially at a very high level of play. You're learning the city, teammates, systems, habits. You're overwhelmed to the core right off the hop and considering personally what's going on for him, it makes sense. Give him time to settle in before judging the player.
While this is true, it begs the question as to why Toffoli and Guentzel (And Duclair, and Walker, and Roslovic, and Kuznetsov, and Wennberg...etc...) have been able to hit the ground running with their new teams and Henrique looks like a fresh AHL callup.

Reactions: Duke74

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Henrique literally hasn't been on the ice for a goal against yet as an Oiler.
He has been massively outplayed. Last game was literally 1 HDCF vs 11 Against. He hasn't been on the ice for a goal against cause goaltending has bailed him out, not because he is playing well defensively. His defensive metrics right now are AWFUL. And the eye test backs that up.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Alberta has taken a big step back the last few years. Not near as dominant as they have been. Hell, they finished 5th in Canada West this year.

For a few years in the late 90's there was an NCAA/USport (CIAU, CIS, etc) matchup of a USport all-star team vs. the NCAA all-stars. It was pretty awesome to watch. The older, more physical USport guys vs. the younger and really fast NCAA dudes. Not sure why it was mothballed.
Weird not seeing Alberta in Nationals. Powerhouse of a program. Seen them play various times when they hosted nationals in Halifax. Very good program. UNB is unreal now. I watch them when they come to STFX.

I wonder if it’s insurance reasons they cancelled the College games?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Of course.
Whats why I said things like "in theory" and "right now".
I am not writing him off, but you look around the league like @ChaoticOrange said..t here are guys who are in very similar situations who have hit the ground running, so its unfortunate.

My biggest worry with a guy like Henrique is, he has 4 playoff games since his rookie year in 2011/2012 (Which they made it to the cup finals). And in those 4 games he did absolutely nothing. So really he has no real playoff experience for almost his entire career. He isn't used to playing meaningful hockey in April on. It will be a big change for him at his age to suddenly ramping up his game in April rather than be hitting the links and taking it easy. That was a big risk to me honestly and his current play is worrying.

Thats not set in stone, he could absolutely start playing well but we can only judge the player on what they are putting in front of us.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad