Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Cause they don't see Broberg as a right d. He has been playing left d almost exclusively now.
Then play Nurse on his off side, I fundamentally don't care, they need to play Ceci less. Now is as good a time as they will get to see if Broberg can do something this year

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Another player the Oiler should have traded for was Kostin. 4 points in 5 games for San Jose and he went for a 7th lol

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Kulak
Broberg - Ceci

I'd give this a shot.

Othewise:
Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Stetcher (or Broberg - Kulak)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The reason the Oilers paid more for Henrique and Carrick was because the Ducks retained money on both contracts.

Duclair, Toffoli didn't get any of their contracts retained by their former teams. That's why the price was lower.

I don't know why we're still debating this.
The Devils retained 50% of Toffoli. We would have needed a 3rd team to retain another 50% to fit him under our cap without moving anyone else.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think your on to something
Thanks, it's really in their best interest to try. I get that Broberg is just going to play LHD, so move Nurse over. Anything to be better as a group.

If he Struggles in the role, which he might and is fine, you know he's not ready this year.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The reason the Oilers paid more for Henrique and Carrick was because the Ducks retained money on both contracts.

Duclair, Toffoli didn't get any of their contracts retained by their former teams. That's why the price was lower.

Well, being that this is completely factually inaccurate (NJD retained 50% on Toffoli), I’d be really interested to know what your excuse for Holland will be NOW?

Whats it gonna be?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I laugh when some posters keep saying 'give Henrique time'. It's the same song they were singing about Brown.

You could see after game two what Henrique is. It is already a disastrous over pay.

There is no way you can let Holland run the draft.
People said that about brown because he missed an entire season. Way different.

Anyways I haven’t hated Henrique but I agree a 1st is starting to look like an over pay.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Devils retained 50% of Toffoli. We would have needed a 3rd team to retain another 50% to fit him under our cap without moving anyone else.

That costs nothing, you could've gotten that done for like a 4th round pick. It's 22 games of retention.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I laugh when some posters keep saying 'give Henrique time'. It's the same song they were singing about Brown.

You could see after game two what Henrique is. It is already a disastrous over pay.

There is no way you can let Holland run the draft.
Adding Henrique is not really an issue IMO. It's paying the 1st for him. I knew from the get go that he's nothing more than an add for the bottom 6. Not using the 1st and then some for Buchnevich was a miss.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Another player the Oiler should have traded for was Kostin. 4 points in 5 games for San Jose and he went for a 7th lol

Any one of Toffoli, Duclair, even bringing back Kostin would've been better than nothing.

Henrique really needs to start scoring and we need Kane to stop going through score less droughts if we're going to make noise in the playoffs.

If Henrique doesn't start producing soon on the 3rd line, you have to ditch that plan and staple him to McDavid to get him going before the playoffs start.

We can't throw away a 1st on another "gotta git da 3rd line goin'" play that blows up in our face.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Toffoli was retained 50% by the Devils.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Also leave it to the Oilers to trade for a guy in the worst possible circumstance, poor guy's wife literally gives birth like a week before the deadline and now he probably hasn't seen his family in like a week or whatever. I don't even think they'd be comfortable flying at this point as the baby is so young, maybe Katz can arrange to private jet them up here or something.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Every trade and transaction should be evaluated as soon as possible and certainly not once the assets traded for or signed have concluded their time with the team.
Counterpoint: The stretch drive and playoffs is *not* a long time period. These guys don't have huge swathes of time to make an impact - ~20 regular season games, and 4-25 or so playoff games. When you're trading for rentals, they HAVE to produce in short order.

I'm willing to give Henrique the benefit of the doubt to adjust because of his situation with his family but frankly it's Holland's job to know that kind of thing and if he didn't know, then that's on him and nobody else.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12 and Heavy Dee

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I see the Oilers signed goalie from Brock.
Whats more impressive is UNB went 4-0 in tournament and did not allow a goal
47 games undefeated. 10 titles so far for UNB. 16 for Alberta. I would like to see a North American University Cup. I realize teams in Canada are usually older then American teams. I would like to see Alberta and UNB against the American best

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
IMO you go with Stetcher. Broberg was hurt for awhile and has been playing LD. If Desharnais is out for a period of time then recall Broberg and see who is doing better in practice between Stetcher and Broberg. I'd rather they recall Holloway.
Yes, he was brought because they probably felt Broberg was not ready.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The biggest "deadline" move will probably be calling up Lavoie, Broberg, Holloway and Campbell.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Adding Henrique is not really an issue IMO. It's paying the 1st for him. I knew from the get go that he's nothing more than an add for the bottom 6. Not using the 1st and then some for Buchnevich was a miss.
No, Henrique will probably fill a need at 3C adequately. But he wasn't worth near a first retained or not. And he is what he is. My issue is with those who think he is going to add any meaningful depth scoring that we desperately need.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I just hope Stecher plays with Nurse to see how it works rather than reflexively going to what we already know what won't work (Ceci with Nurse).

I would place the odds of Stecher playing with Nurse at about 0.1% though sadly. Which is a shame, because I think playing with a guy that can pass like Stecher can would help Nurse immensely.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I’d love to get Broberg up for four or five games at 17 minutes per and see where he’s at. Stetcher looked great in his showcase. This is a good dilemma to be having and a silver lining of Vinny’s pinkie problem.
The Viny injury is exactly why you bring in a guy like Stecher. I thought he should get a long look even with Vinny healthy because he just seems to fit the Oilers system better than Ceci-Desharnais but even moreso now with the injury.

There's something to be said for this being an opportunity to showcase Broberg to see what they have in him but Stecher is the more likely guy to get playoff games so get him in there now to find chemistry with somebody, likely Nurse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad