Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Should be the undisputed #3 next year getting 60-70% of the starts with Fanti/Ungar backing him up. Hopefully no more Campbell/Pickard down there for the coaches to lean on, time to see what the guy you invested a 2nd rounder in is made of.
That's my hope as well, though there is value in a Pickard type, but I suspect Rodrigues will push for an NHL job next year

Reactions: foshizzle

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
That's my hope as well, though there is value in a Pickard type, but I suspect Rodrigues will push for an NHL job next year
Good to see but the concern will be trying to get him through waivers as next year he has to clear waivers. Skinner will be 26 next year. I would be ok with Skinner Rodrigue tandem. Rodrigues numbers have followed Skinners path.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Stauffer saying Sylvain Rodrigue interviewed by several NHL teams and the team should be prepared to lose him this offseason. It would be monumentally stupid. Guy resurrected Skinner, Campbell, Pickard and done a great job with his son. Keeping Schwartz and letting him walk is just so Oilers

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
No offense to Tom but since he stopped working for the Oilers it's been years since he had an inside scoop on anything other than alternate jerseys or the latest specials at Boston Pizza. I listen to the Oil Stream regularly and I'm convinced he tries to make it sound like he's more connected to the team than he really is.
Tom is tight with the support staff. They would know if he wants to stay.

Tom doesn't have sources within management, so ya I don't believe much of what he says when he spitballs trade rumors.

Reactions: barry halls

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Stauffer saying Sylvain Rodrigue interviewed by several NHL teams and the team should be prepared to lose him this offseason. It would be monumentally stupid. Guy resurrected Skinner, Campbell, Pickard and done a great job with his son. Keeping Schwartz and letting him walk is just so Oilers
Terrible news. Hopefully Jackson convinces him to stay and gives Schwartz some made up job like hamburger pickle sampler. Just send him around North America trying out pickles.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Schwartz is a bigger nepo baby than Alice Walton.

Reactions: foshizzle

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Terrible news. Hopefully Jackson convinces him to stay and gives Schwartz some made up job like hamburger pickle sampler. Just send him around North America trying out pickles.
That’s my hope too. Remember when Holland said he wanted to extend Tippett and let Woodcroft walk?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
My feeling only changed for the player.
My issue was mainly with the owner. The team was perhaps a proxy.

They really need to work this out.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I’m confused by this, he’s Oilers property, how could other teams be talking to him? Or does this go all the way back to the draft?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If the Oil can’t re-sign Draisaitl, do they let him walk through free agency or trade him for assets?
That's only if Drai says he wants to leave. I don't think we trade him if the issue is salary or if he wants to see what McDavid does first

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If the Oil can’t re-sign Draisaitl, do they let him walk through free agency or trade him for assets?
They will 100% trade him, and I bet they'll know whether he wants to stay by July 1. He'd be gone before the start of the season.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly it isn't his age that concerns me.
If he truly is just a late bloomer coming into his own and has miles left, then it would be good. Full credit to him the last couple years, he's earned his shot.

I'm just skeptical about him long term. Keep him hungry, and if it falls off you don't have to worry. I really don't see a reason to commit long term (one could argue 3 years isn't long term I guess) to a bottom pairing defenseman. They did the same thing to Kulak because he was playing in the top 4. But when you start acquiring players for roles they're actually suited to, he gets bumped down to where he should be, and then costs way more than the position should.

Just my opinion, of course. I see VD as a 6/7 tops, so we may disagree there.
You can’t keep a UFA hungry. Guy will find somewhere to eat easily.

He’s 27, I wouldn’t worry about a 3 year deal, I’d go 4 if the AAV were right. This isn’t Andrew Ference

Reactions: brentashton

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
You can’t keep a UFA hungry. Guy will find somewhere to eat easily.

He’s 27, I wouldn’t worry about a 3 year deal, I’d go 4 if the AAV were right. This isn’t Andrew Ference
I agree. This is also as close to a retirement contract as he's gonna get. I'm sure he'll be keeping his financial future in mind this time around. I also have no problem going as high as 4 yrs, only if that gets us a lower AAV. Hopefully under 2M.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
True but I don't think Rodrigue worked with Skinner as much did he? I may be wrong here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad