Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The key difference between Benoit and Desharnais is Benoit was an RFA. I believe two of the three years of Benoit's new deal are RFA years if my math is right.

Desharnais should make more simply because his contract will be purely UFA years.
If Desharnais loses any speed at all he will become a pylon. He's 27 and a late bloomer. He's a prime candidate for an overpay IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The key difference between Benoit and Desharnais is Benoit was an RFA. I believe two of the three years of Benoit's new deal are RFA years if my math is right.

Desharnais should make more simply because his contract will be purely UFA years.
Fair point. :nod:

Still...he would be hard pressed to get much over $2M

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Benoit is actually a very good high end comparable for Desharnais.

Benoits TOI is on average 2 min 30 sec more than Vinnys and he has also played 191 NHL games compared to Vinnys 103 NHL games.

In terms of comparables for Vinny the Benoit contract is very good news IMO.
Vinny is a much better PKer than Benoit, and Benoit is only getting that much ice because the leafs lack so much depth on their blueline. I think Vinny gets around $2M from someone

Reactions: McDoused

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Fair point. :nod:

Still...he would be hard pressed to get much over $2M
It's hard to say. GMs can be weird with these big, defensive guys. There always seems to be someone backing up a truck full of money for a Gudbranson, Schenn, Cole, etc.

I'd say for UFA comparables, best case is Hakanpaa's $1.5Mx3 and worst case would be Soucy's $2.75Mx3.

The cap supposedly rising a ton could inflate those numbers too.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's hard to say. GMs can be weird with these big, defensive guys. There always seems to be someone backing up a truck full of money for a Gudbranson, Schenn, Cole, etc.

I'd say for UFA comparables, best case is Hakanpaa's $1.5Mx3 and worst case would be Soucy's $2.75Mx3.

The cap supposedly rising a ton could inflate those numbers too.
Then you walk.
No need to sign a #6 dman for over $2M IMO.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If Desharnais loses any speed at all he will become a pylon. He's 27 and a late bloomer. He's a prime candidate for an overpay IMO.

If he comes in at more than 1.75 - 2 per with term of more than 3 years you wish him well and move on. Bouchard and Draisaitl will cost us an arm, a leg, a spleen, a kidney, a left ventricle, a brain and both nuts.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
That's fair, but he's still young, so it's not like giving a 34+ year old that term. Cap hit is more my concern with re-signing Desharnais
Honestly it isn't his age that concerns me.
If he truly is just a late bloomer coming into his own and has miles left, then it would be good. Full credit to him the last couple years, he's earned his shot.

I'm just skeptical about him long term. Keep him hungry, and if it falls off you don't have to worry. I really don't see a reason to commit long term (one could argue 3 years isn't long term I guess) to a bottom pairing defenseman. They did the same thing to Kulak because he was playing in the top 4. But when you start acquiring players for roles they're actually suited to, he gets bumped down to where he should be, and then costs way more than the position should.

Just my opinion, of course. I see VD as a 6/7 tops, so we may disagree there.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
When Gretzky was traded to the Kings I didn’t start cheering for the Kings. I hated them even more! Logo on the front not the name on the back, no matter who it is wearing the jersey!
I just want Mcdavid to stay so I don't have to start cheering for another team.

When Gretzky was traded to the Kings I didn’t start cheering for the Kings. I hated them even more! Logo on the front not the name on the back, no matter who it is wearing the jersey!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Always logo first. But I would be lying if I said that the Gretzky trade/sale was not a massive blow to my feelings about the team.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Always logo first. But I would be lying if I said that the Gretzky trade was not a massive blow to my feelings about the team.

I was sooo pissed at Pocklington. After he sold everyone he could it was a complete ghost town in the arena. The guy ripped the heart out of the city.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I was sooo pissed at Pocklington. After he sold everyone he could it was a complete ghost town in the arena. The guy ripped the heart out of the city.
My dad worked for one of the companies he ruined. My dad retired before the company was essentially tanked but a lot of his friends were not so lucky. His last couple of years were definitely stressful.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad