Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Probably is. Maybe they get all hard thinking about Pasta and Drai together. Seeing the return this season on much lower level players got it should be a sick return. He's a 50 goal over 100pt man that wins faceoffs. McAvoy and Drai wouldn't be a 1 for 1 tho.
Look at the flames, never trade for Americans. They will bolt asap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is what gets me. If he leaves for a smaller hockey market, I can't blame him. People say that fans don't run players out of town, but you have to think this kind of garbage gets in players' heads. Especially with the ubiquity of social media - you can't escape people's "opinions."

Meh this stuff is overrated, first of all understand that message boards like this are a tiny part of "social media", message boards are for old farts (like me), the younger generation doesn't use these types of forums. Message boards are an outdated part of the internet.

Second of all, Draisaitl gets a heap of praise the other way too, last year when he was scoring a ton of goals in the playoffs Leafs fans were tearing into Matthews saying "why can't he score like Draisaitl does in the playoffs?".

Leon can go somewhere else, but I will say this, life without McDavid may not be anywhere near as great as he may think it would be if that's his thought process.

There is no other team really that can offer him the money he would get here including a 8th year plus the guarantee of playing with the best player in the sport.

My personal feeling is he will resign and take the security of a big money 8 year deal, but it will come with a stipulation that if McDavid leaves, Leon will also ask for a trade out and given a full NMC, the Oilers will have to trade him to exactly where he wants (could possibly go where ever McDavid goes).

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Meh this stuff is overrated, first of all understand that message boards like this are a tiny part of "social media", message boards are for old farts (like me), the younger generation doesn't use these types of forums. Message boards are an outdated part of the internet.

Second of all, Draisaitl gets a heap of praise the other way too, last year when he was scoring a ton of goals in the playoffs Leafs fans were tearing into Matthews saying "why can't he score like Draisaitl does in the playoffs?".

Leon can go somewhere else, but I will say this, life without McDavid may not be anywhere near as great as he may think it would be if that's his thought process.

There is no other team really that can offer him the money he would get here including a 8th year plus the guarantee of playing with the best player in the sport.

My personal feeling is he will resign and take the security of a big money 8 year deal, but it will come with a stipulation that if McDavid leaves, Leon will also ask for a trade out and given a full NMC, the Oilers will have to trade him to exactly where he wants (could possibly go where ever McDavid goes).
I mean let's be honest, if McDavid leaves, the Oilers will be best served immediately going into a full blown rebuild. I don't think Draisaitl would even have to ask for a trade.

I don't think either goes anywhere, they can make unlimited money and play together for the remainder of their careers. It's not like they'd be leaving to sign in Colorado or something, they'd be going to teams that likely are behind where the Oilers are competitively.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Also, I might be in the minority but I'd be nervous about giving Drai the monster long term contract. Already nearing 30 and we're starting to see, possibly, some signs of wear and tear on him already. I wouldn't hate it obviously but we'd be in the same situation again with a top heavy salary structure with the difference being that they won't be in their prime anymore throughout the majority of their contracts. Tough One
I think the rumors of $13-15 per season are outlandish. We should be able to sign him for around $11.5ish, which is what Petterson and Pastrnak signed for.

Second of all, Draisaitl gets a heap of praise the other way too, last year when he was scoring a ton of goals in the playoffs Leafs fans were tearing into Matthews saying "why can't he score like Draisaitl does in the playoffs?"
That's shocking. The vast majority of Leaf fans that I've seen around these parts seem to parrot the rhetoric of "nothing without McDavid."

Reactions: ManByng

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
I think the rumors of $13-15 per season are outlandish. We should be able to sign him for around $11.5ish, which is what Petterson and Pastrnak signed for.
What makes you think that? Look at his production compared to those two over the last 5 years. Then consider his performances in the playoffs.

He has a very strong case to pull more than either of them.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Are you saying that Boston would have to add or Edmonton would need to add?
I'm saying I think it's more likely Edmonton would have to add based on contracts. If Boston would do a 1 for 1, absolutely. I don't know that they do.

If the deal was actually discussed, I could see it being a straight swap. Legit hockey trade. But I think Boston comes out behind in the long run

Reactions: Duke74

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean let's be honest, if McDavid leaves, the Oilers will be best served immediately going into a full blown rebuild. I don't think Draisaitl would even have to ask for a trade.

I don't think either goes anywhere, they can make unlimited money and play together for the remainder of their careers. It's not like they'd be leaving to sign in Colorado or something, they'd be going to teams that likely are behind where the Oilers are competitively.
McDavid leaves I don't know what this franchise will do.

How are you going to convince people that a rebuild makes sense when you had two of the best players in the world on your club and couldn't make it work?

Katz is probably selling the team if McDavid doesn't re-sign next summer. He'll cite health issues to try get top dollar, but any smart man will know why the team is for sale.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers can offer Draisaitl the same money on a 13 per deal (x8 years) for a team in free agency to match that they'd have to give almost 15 million per.

That's a big advantage for the Oilers.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Broberg is 22 and hasn’t made the NHL as a regular d-man for a guy who was taken # 8 overall ! :rolleyes: And nobody is pounding on our door wanting him in a trade either! At this point in time Stetcher is the guy you go with!

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Broberg is already 24 and hasn’t made the NHL as a regular d-man for a guy who was taken # 8 overall ! :rolleyes: And nobody is pounding on our door wanting him in a trade either! At this point in time Stetcher is the guy you go with!
You're aware hes 22 and not 24.

And this information is incredibly easy to look up.

Reactions: McDoused

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I really don't think Leon and Connor will want to break up the opportunity that they have together. It will not be easier elsewhere. And they don't strike me as the type of players that look for easy anyways.
They’ve spent half their careers in an organization that has been mismanaged basically the entire time. I guess we will see who the next GM is, going to have to hope a blind squirrel finds a nut.

But in the meantime, if a team with competent management and a good team came to them with an offer, why wouldn’t they take it?

Reactions: Duke74

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

That's shocking. The vast majority of Leaf fans that I've seen around these parts seem to parrot the rhetoric of "nothing without McDavid."
If the Oilers could get him for $11.5M management would be dancing a jig. $13M would be a win given his previous contract and the expectation of a huge rise in the cap.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Hypothetical.

Say Drai wont extend with the Oilers at less than $15 mill per. He has also made it known that he is going to free agency unless that contract demand is met. Let us assume that he wants to go play in the east and will only stay if Edmonton overpays.

Ottawa calls and offers Brady Tkachuk straight up for Drai. Do the Oilers consider this?

(PS I know Ottawa wont' make that call)
Staios might make that call.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
They have been together for 6 years. Gotta think it's pretty serious.

Lol

6 years and it’s for life eh. I shouldn’t even respond to comments objecting to my opinion but come on. I’ve personally known people who got divorced after being married for 16 plus years but I’ll respect your opinion.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Lol

6 years and it’s for life eh. I shouldn’t even respond to comments objecting to my opinion but come on. I’ve personally known people who got divorced after being married for 16 plus years but I’ll respect your opinion.
that has nothing to do with how a 27 year old looks at a partner they've been together with since 21

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
When asked about extending and sticking with McDavid earlier this year Draisaitl said, and this is the real quote: “at the end of the day I’m going to do what’s best for me”. Since then we’ve only heard doubt and concern being expressed about the situation from insiders.

Therefore, based on what we’ve been hearing, I’m not sure why some people are still so confident he’s staying. maybe he wants to get out of McDavid’s shadow and is sick of getting trashed by mouth-breathers for being “lazy” and having bad body language despite being objectively one of the GOAT Oilers and a future HOFer

That's one perspective. The other is that if he's getting sick of getting trashed for being "lazy", it's only going to get amplified when the spotlight is directly on him and he's the guy with the team's biggest contract somewhere else and won't have a McDavid to pick up the slack on his off nights. If a team can afford him in free agency it's also most likely that whatever team it is won't be as good as the Oilers with him on it as there is only a handful of teams presently that are, and none of them are going to have $14m of capspace anytime soon.

That and most the shit she is in is Canadian movies anyway.

I don't even know when she has time for acting she's with Lauren everyday on Instagram from what I see lol

Movies film for for like 2-3 months anyways. Actors like that might be lucky enough to film 2 of them a year. I'm pretty sure it will make no difference to their lifestyle no matter where they live when he's playing half his schedule out of town anyways.

Talk about making a big deal out of nothing

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
After going through what I did with the Oilers over the years i could care less If any player wants out. If you don't like it here then GTFO is the bottom line

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I know. My point was about American players always trying to book it out of Canadian cities.

Edit:

I should also add that Hellebuyck stayed with Winnipeg of all places.
Kyle Connor too.

Depends on the player and depends on the organization.

I think some of the Flames issues were less about Canada and more about players not liking Sutter, the Saddledome/team facilities being outdated, and Murray Edwards being cheap/spiteful.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I know. My point was about American players always trying to book it out of Canadian cities.

Edit:

I should also add that Hellebuyck stayed with Winnipeg of all places.

Kyle Connor too.

Depends on the player and depends on the organization.

I think some of the Flames issues were less about Canada and more about players not liking Sutter, the Saddledome/team facilities being outdated, and Murray Edwards being cheap/spiteful.

There's definitely a fighting chance for American players that get drafted by Canadian teams as they've had several years to realize there's nothing actually wrong with living in Canada.

The disadvantage is attracting free agents and players that have NTC/NMC to come over the border, very few do unless they're depth players seeking the biggest offer

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's one perspective. The other is that if he's getting sick of getting trashed for being "lazy", it's only going to get amplified when the spotlight is directly on him and he's the guy with the team's biggest contract somewhere else and won't have a McDavid to pick up the slack on his off nights. If a team can afford him in free agency it's also most likely that whatever team it is won't be as good as the Oilers with him on it as there is only a handful of teams presently that are, and none of them are going to have $14m of capspace anytime soon.

Movies film for for like 2-3 months anyways. Actors like that might be lucky enough to film 2 of them a year. I'm pretty sure it will make no difference to their lifestyle no matter where they live when he's playing half his schedule out of town anyways.

Talk about making a big deal out of nothing

Substantially less than 2-3 months honestly. A Hallmark movie is like probably a 3-5 week shoot tops.

Big budget studio movies can shoot for months but made for TV stuff, nah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad