Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Some people like to fulfill their own dreams and goals.

It's not the 80s or even the 2000s anymore, the whole "go to LA to become a movie star" thing is kind of over these days. Which actually I kind of feel bad for a lot of the Canadians that are going down there hoping to make it, it's never gonna happen.

If you're not really booking big movies or shows by the time you're 25, a break out for the very, very few open spots there might be for a "new break out actor star" is almost impossible these days.

Used to be Hollywood was looking for stars and sold movies/TV shows on the back of a star name, but that has evaporated into fantasy franchise properties being the be all/end all and the age of the movie star is dwindling.

In today's Hollywood I don't even know if a Mike Myers or Jim Carrey would be given movie vehicles like Ace Ventura or Wayne's World to really break out with, those movies probably don't even get greenlit for a theater release today (straight to Netflix as the best case scenario and how many star actors has Netflix launched? Zilch, they're disposable movies everyone forgets immediately).

The "sexy Canadian girl" niche that existed in the 90s also has sorta gone kaput, Pamela Anderson, Natasha Henstridge (Species), Tricia Helfer (Battlestar Galactica), Elisha Cuthbert (Girl Next Door) were able to get some traction on TV/movies, but it was really pushed by the magazine market like Playboy or Maxim magazine which doesn't even exist (not in the same way) anymore.

The movies Leon's girlfriend books (the Hallmark movies) aren't even filmed in LA. They actually shoot mostly in Canada to save costs and because the Canadian government gives them grants/incentives.

Also big, big difference between a Canadian girl, as she is, and someone born in the US. For an American, no matter what, the US will always be home and Canada is always kind of a friendly but still "bizarro land". People raised in Canada though don't have that same viewpoint or feeling.

Last edited:

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
When asked about extending and sticking with McDavid earlier this year Draisaitl said, and this is the real quote: “at the end of the day I’m going to do what’s best for me”. Since then we’ve only heard doubt and concern being expressed about the situation from insiders.

Therefore, based on what we’ve been hearing, I’m not sure why some people are still so confident he’s staying. maybe he wants to get out of McDavid’s shadow and is sick of getting trashed by mouth-breathers for being “lazy” and having bad body language despite being objectively one of the GOAT Oilers and a future HOFer

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
When asked about extending and sticking with McDavid earlier this year Draisaitl said, and this is the real quote: “at the end of the day I’m going to do what’s best for me”. Since then we’ve only heard doubt and concern being expressed about the situation from insiders.

Therefore, based on what we’ve been hearing, I’m not sure why some people are still so confident he’s staying. maybe he wants to get out of McDavid’s shadow and is sick of getting trashed by mouth-breathers for being “lazy” and having bad body language despite being objectively one of the GOAT Oilers and a future HOFer
I’d be annoyed mostly at all the people speculating about my girlfriend if I were him. Some of these comments.. like they might be getting married for all we know. I’d be pissed

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They have been together for 6 years. Gotta think it's pretty serious.

Phaneuf and Elisha Cuthbert are still going strong, so are Wayne and Janet, lol.

People still think it's like the mid-90s when it comes to actors, it isn't. Even in Hollywood there are plenty of couples who have been together for a long time.

Lets just be honest in Canadian woman terms ... she hit the jackpot by landing an NHL star, those Hallmark movies that shoot for maybe 10 weeks out of the year aren't going to pay for a big ticket life style. And in kind it's entirely likely Leon hit the jack pot too, she seems like a very nice and beautiful young woman.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Honestly, don't blame Leon for being quiet. We all know the organization has been a dumpster fire for most of his time here.

I'm optimistic with Jeff Jackson replacing the f***ing horribly awful Bob Burgers, Michael Parkatti coming in, Kenny likely retiring, etc.

Need to hire a FORWARD thinking GM who doesn't mumble on about the guide and record book and tell 30 year old f***ing stories. Good thing we've run out of Team Canada dinosaurs to hire.

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is Elisha still with that loser? She also dated Sean Avery too I think.

He's a loser that has a giant bank account still, he made a lot more money in his career than she did, so yeah they're still together, I doubt she's letting him go. That life style she's used to isn't going to pay for itself.

Reactions: Valhallis

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I think if they did it correctly, they could get a massive overpaid/overhaul of a return. Oilers problem is depth, grit and goaltending. I also see trading Drai at the next TDL as a huge potential to improve this team.

Let's say the Oil land Something like

To Boston: Draisaitl Campbell
To Edmonton: Ullmark, DeBrusk, McAvoy and a 1st plus thier top prospect.

Would Conner stay let's say if they won a cup after trading Draisaitl?

All hypothetical of course.
I think your expectations on return are way too high there.

Draisaitl for McAvoy is a pretty legit 1 for 1. To throw in Campbell, and then get Ullmark, Debrusk a 1st and a top prospect as well? I don't see why Boston would even consider it.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

yeah. ullmark AND mcavoy and top picks/prospects? mcavoy is an elite talent. if you got him and ullmark in the same deal you might get like a 2nd thrown in tops. one of those 3 centerpieces wouldnt be in the deal or would be a big downgrade from that proposal. most likely mcavoy would not be considered expendable at all so itd be grzelcyk instead at best

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I see Draisaitl going two ways

1) Oilers back up the brinks truck and pay him. I think he’s going to be 14+

2) He doesn’t want to re-sign.

I’ll be very surprised if he takes any kind of discount

I'm seeing it as 50-50 Drai re-signs [McD 70-30, maybe 60-40].

Lol Maybe Jackson or new GM goes bonkers and trades Drai to Pens for Crosby+1st :sarcasm:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
yeah. ullmark AND mcavoy and top picks/prospects? mcavoy is an elite talent. if you got him and ullmark in the same deal you might get like a 2nd thrown in tops. one of those 3 centerpieces wouldnt be in the deal or would be a big downgrade from that proposal. most likely mcavoy would not be considered expendable at all so itd be grzelcyk instead at best
I've seen some B's fans who would swap Drai for McAvoy, but would also understand others who wouldn't.

McAvoy is a legit #1 defenseman, just hitting his prime years and undercontract for another 6 years at 9.5 until his age 32 season.

Drai is due a massive raise in a deal that will almost assuredly be another 7 years at 12+ until his age 37 season.

Honestly can't see Boston having to add anything.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Stauffer was talking about him last week.

Unfortunate he took that year off when he did though. Very crucial time in a young man's development. Hopefully he can shake the rust off
Fair, he might have had a real shot at making the team this year, but if he needed the break, I suspect it served him for why he needed, especially seeing as he's going to continue pro hockey.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We are a contender. During the decade of darkness we had problems but if you imagined it would be total bliss when the team got good, you were so wrong.

When your team is good it is more problems and more torture. Cheering for a bad, bad team is comforting because expectations are low. When your team is good, winning the cup is the only way not to end a season in heartbreak.

But that's why you have to tell yourself that it's not as bad as it seems. We have a better chance than most at winning it all. As for all the Drai talk, it's just overreaction. Dreger says silly things based on nothing and it sparks a bunch of pages of this

This is so true.

The playoffs when you have expectations of being a contending team is full of stress, ups and downs, and if you lose massive disappointment and heartache. When your team has no expectations everything is just gravy and when you inevitably lose you are still proud because they punched above their weight.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

This is what gets me. If he leaves for a smaller hockey market, I can't blame him. People say that fans don't run players out of town, but you have to think this kind of garbage gets in players' heads. Especially with the ubiquity of social media - you can't escape people's "opinions."

Reactions: barry halls

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Hypothetical.

Say Drai wont extend with the Oilers at less than $15 mill per. He has also made it known that he is going to free agency unless that contract demand is met. Let us assume that he wants to go play in the east and will only stay if Edmonton overpays.

Ottawa calls and offers Brady Tkachuk straight up for Drai. Do the Oilers consider this?

(PS I know Ottawa wont' make that call)

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton

Draisaitl for McAvoy is a pretty legit 1 for 1. To throw in Campbell, and then get Ullmark, Debrusk a 1st and a top prospect as well? I don't see why Boston would even consider it.

Probably is. Maybe they get all hard thinking about Pasta and Drai together. Seeing the return this season on much lower level players got it should be a sick return. He's a 50 goal over 100pt man that wins faceoffs. McAvoy and Drai wouldn't be a 1 for 1 tho.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hypothetical.

Say Drai wont extend with the Oilers at less than $15 mill per. He has also made it known that he is going to free agency unless that contract demand is met. Let us assume that he wants to go play in the east and will only stay if Edmonton overpays.

Ottawa calls and offers Brady Tkachuk straight up for Drai. Do the Oilers consider this?

(PS I know Ottawa wont' make that call)
Probably not, as I don't know that Brady wants to be in Canada his next stop.

Brady has a NMC that kicks in following next year and the last thing I'd really want is for us to be stuck trading the guy for pennies on the dollars.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They have been together for 6 years. Gotta think it's pretty serious.
That and most the shit she is in is Canadian movies anyway.

I don't even know when she has time for acting she's with Lauren everyday on Instagram from what I see lol

Reactions: Canovin

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I've been saying for a while that I wouldn't be surprised if he left for greener pastures, so to speak.

I don't know, just a gut feeling that he's never been entirely happy here then add in the relative lack of success especially if they get bounced relatively early again this offseason and the lack of help management has provided and I can see him moving on just to start fresh elsewhere.

Also, I'm not one of those people who think that McDavid and Draisaitl are a package deal. I don't think McDavid is so weak minded that he gives the team an ultimatum to keep his buddy or he goes and I believe he'll understand the business aspect of it but if this does indeed push McDavid out as well then so be it.
It would suck tremendously but I personally cheer for the logo not the individuals so if they don't want to be here then....it is what it is and they have to be let go, management would then have to seriously consider trades starting with Draisaitl this offseason because you sure as hell don't want to let them walk for nothing and you sure as hell don't want to endure a lame duck season with a player who has his mind elsewhere.

Ultimately, I think both re-sign. I would put it at 50-50 with Draisaitl but think he'll eventually stay because this is where he'll get the most money.
Also, I might be in the minority but I'd be nervous about giving Drai the monster long term contract. Already nearing 30 and we're starting to see, possibly, some signs of wear and tear on him already. I wouldn't hate it obviously but we'd be in the same situation again with a top heavy salary structure with the difference being that they won't be in their prime anymore throughout the majority of their contracts. Tough One

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Probably is. Maybe they get all hard thinking about Pasta and Drai together. Seeing the return this season on much lower level players got it should be a sick return. He's a 50 goal over 100pt man that wins faceoffs. McAvoy and Drai wouldn't be a 1 for 1 tho.
Are you saying that Boston would have to add or Edmonton would need to add?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad