Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not all great players have their name engraved on the cup. If you don't think Karlsson is a generational defenceman than we have vastly different opinions.
I absolutely think he’s a generational D man, the issue is we will have no depth if we have 2 players making 12.5m+

Reactions: Aerchon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Anyone else think we should be looking at trading Draisaitl? He's overpaid by 2mil and still hasn't shown that he can drive his own line. If he can get a top pairing RHD in return then we should be jumping on it.

Ugh, you guys with this. Between some of you wanting to trade him and Raab calling him a bum and thinking about buying out his contract, it's no wonder that some players hate playing here if the public is anything like some of you.

How can you possibly judge a contract 25 games in? He still hasn't shown that he can drive his own line? You're basing this off of 25 games as well, 25 games with Strome and whichever bottom 6 winger on his left side.

Maybe the problem is ridiculous fan expectation and not the actual contract. Yes, it's an overpay right now but this is a just turned 22 year old who has put up good numbers every year in his career outside of a rookie season in which he clearly wasn't NHL ready, good numbers with McDavid, Hall, Lucic or Slepyshev. His numbers were inflated by McDavid but it was a mutually beneficial partnership, same with Hall the prior season. He's a playmaker first and foremost, he needs good players on his wing to maximize his abilities. There's only a handful centers in the entire league who can produce at an $8.5M level with 3rd liners on their wing. Give him some time to prove himself before wanting to ship him out of town.

Last edited:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Here's something nobody ever acknowledges about Leon: he's currently got the best % at the dot of anyone on our team.

People love to say Connor carries Leon on his line, but one guy wins 55% of his draws, the other wins 38%. Don't think that extra puck possession doesn't make a difference.

Reactions: Aerchon

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Draisaitl+Klefbom for Hanifin+Aho+Rask.

Aho-Mcdavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-RNH-Cammalleri?
Maroon-Rask-Strome
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Hanifin-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Benning

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Win for both sides. But you're probably gonna get alot of flak from pretty much everyone else.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I'd be worried about acquiring Karlsson. Didn't he get a large portion of his foot removed? Hasn't been that great since returning this season. I'd hate to pay the price to get a shadow of the player you are expecting to get.

Reactions: NeverForget06

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Leon is barely overpaid in the current environment. Is an excellent center. Far far better than McDavid has been as a center this year. At the position, not his points obviously.

He is on pace for 25 goals and 42 assists over an 82 game schedule while often playing on the 2nd/3rd line with Kharia and Strome... That's very very good. When playing with McDavid is basically ppg... far better than anyone else has been to date.

Some seriously undeserved hate if people are going after Leon for his performance this year. The list is extremely long for players that have been worse this year on the Oilers and Leon is not part of the problems in Edmonton.

In cap terms I see McDavids contract being more harmful to the team than Leon's. McDavids contract is absolutely at minimum a 2 million over pay for his level of play this year so far. Being paid as much as 3 solid NHLers is a tough challenge to play above. So far this year McDavid has been a shell of himself for on ice impact, barring last game. Cheating for offense and killing the play as often as he has been this year is unacceptable for 12.5 a year... Although in fairness he is only making 3.75 this year so... I suppose I can cut him some slack :-P

Cap management we can not afford Karlsson. Trading Leon and say Klefbom for Karlsson is fine in terms of salary but how do we shore up our forwards which are already thin because of Mcdavids contract? You can't.

Not to mention Karlsson, as amazing as he normally is, currently is not playing so well. 1 goal in 25 games... -18 and only a third through the season. I've always considered Karlsson overrated because he typically is a one dimensional defender and the only year I would say he has proven me wrong on that was last year. He might not ever reach the heights he did last year in terms of being a solid two way defender ever again. Either because of injury or because last year was a fluke.

Oilers have a solid defense at the moment and some decent prospects coming down the pipeline as well. With the difficult cap implications of McDavids contract adding another similar contract would be next to impossible and I'm not as sold as others that Karlsson would actually improve the team overall after paying the assets and salary to get him.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'd be worried about acquiring Karlsson. Didn't he get a large portion of his foot removed? Hasn't been that great since returning this season. I'd hate to pay the price to get a shadow of the player you are expecting to get.

No issues there. His missing foot washed up on the shores of the Pacific near Vancouver and has been reattached. :sarcasm:

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't even want EK, honestly. If they're trading him, it's because he'll cost too much, so I'm assuming the pieces going back are cheap, high end assets. I don't even see them seeing a ton of value in a pricey forward like Drai, especially after the Duchene acquisition. We don't need another franchise player to make us a contender.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't even want EK, honestly. If they're trading him, it's because he'll cost to much, so I'm assuming the pieces going back are cheap, high end assets. I don't even see them seeing a ton of value in a pricey forward like Drai, especially after the Duchene acquisition. We don't need another franchise player to make us a contender.

No we need depth, which the Draisaitl and Russell deal prevent us from getting. Will be even worse next year. Enjoy seeing bums like Slepyshev, Cammalleri, Khaira, Caggiula, Kassian in the top 6 because we can't afford any half decent players.

North

Jun 25, 2009
No we need depth, which the Draisaitl and Russell deal prevent us from getting. Will be even worse next year. Enjoy seeing bums like Slepyshev, Cammalleri, Khaira, Caggiula, Kassian in the top 6 because we can't afford any half decent players.

Nonsense. The cap is going up. Leon doesn't prevent us from doing anything.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Lol, the injury concerns and cost concerns are real but get out of here with the 'Karlsson's not that good', 'last year might have been a fluke'. He's been good two way for at least three years now, and was even better than last year before his Achilles was cut. Doughty and Burns beating him for a Norris was a joke too, neither player can carry a team the way Karlsson has carried the sens for five years now. If we landed Karlsson we're immediately actual cup contenders and have a real shot at even making the playoffs this year.

Also, even slowed down, injured Karlsson has 19 points in 25 games, and plus minus is a dumb stat that just tells me his team is struggling and Karlsson is on the ice often during this streak.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Why are people rushing to trade Draisaitl all the sudden. He's still on pace for 60-70 points despite "struggling" so far. Is he overpaid by a million or so? Yes. But at least he's a foundational piece we can build around. It's moves like Kris Russell for 4x4, Eberle for Strome, and Barzal for Reinhart that are sinking us (and should've gotten Chiarelli fired by now).

Reactions: OnTheBrink

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
If you think depth is an issue because of Drai and Russell's contracts, what do you think would happen when they are paying EK as much as the two of them combined?

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I absolutely think he’s a generational D man, the issue is we will have no depth if we have 2 players making 12.5m+
Does that even matter if we've got McDavid and Karlsson? If we can have one of those two on the ice for 90% of the game then it doesn't matter how bad the rest of the team is.

Reactions: Aerrol

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If EK is available you at least look into it. But I highly doubt the Sens trade him. We wouldn't trade McDavid, I don't see why they don't try to make Karlsson work.

Of course, the Flames would probably grab him for like Bennett and a 3rd.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
I think Karlsson will be dealt a day or two before the draft or at the draft. Ottawa will know exactly which pick they are getting, and what kind of season the various prospects have had. I assume the deal will be a really good solid young guy (outpacing his current contract) useful NHL Dman, Grade ‘A’ prospect and this years 1st rounder. That’s a lot for Karlsson, and the money you have to pay him. My money is on Philly making a ridiculous offer, that Ottawa can’t turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad