Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread: "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Keep thinking that the highest paid GM in the league just sitting on his hands is fine.
I'm not a Holland fan either but the trade deadline isn't until tomorrow so yes, you guys are overreacting.
If he does virtually nothing tomorrow then, yeah, we have every reason to be upset but to get all bent out of shape almost 24 hours before the deadline seems silly to me.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What you're describing are GMs that wait for the opportunity to find value. People here are currently complaining about missing out on the big fish coming off of the board.

It's rare for rentals to pay great dividends. Particularly at high cost.

Another example of why it's important to maintain a strong farm system is being shown in the Nick Paul trade. Mathieu Joseph, who has developed into a reasonably solid fourth liner was just moved for one of the better power forwards on the deadline market.

And for the record, Mathieu Joseph is ass.

The problem is if you're a bad GM you never find the right oppurtunity to get value. Every summer, every trade deadline, every in-season trading opp becomes a massive struggle.

Which is basically the Oilers in a nutshell.

Long gone are the days of the 1990s when Sather was a top GM and could find player after player after player after player of good young finds that came in and played their ass off for the team, even with shitty drafting the Oilers of the late 90s were an exciting, talented team and even when other teams poached our talent we kept finding other good young players via trade or signing.

Holland is probably going to have a lot of trouble next summer too. No reason to believe he'll do well with the Oilers cap problems, this was the last year he'll have Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and Nurse this cheap and he'll probably not be able to find another Evander Kane to drop out of the sky and he will still have a massive hole in net.

Reactions: McIce Whole

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
You can’t tell me that a 4th is too high a price for Nick Paul. JFC Holland, do something you stubborn dithering man.
Florida already had arguably the best offense in 20 years and added Claude Giroux. Us being apparently stacked on forwards is a pretty poor excuse to not improve there if the opportunity presents itself.

Reactions: Duke74 and Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not a Holland fan either but the trade deadline isn't until tomorrow so yes, you guys are overreacting.
If he does virtually nothing tomorrow then, yeah, we have every reason to be upset but to get all bent out of shape almost 24 hours before the deadline seems silly to me.
He’s mentally f***ed from the AA trade. That was one of the few times he ventured out of his comfort zone and gave up multiple assets to get a player, and it backfired on him. Now he’s GMing like he’s afraid of his own shadow.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You can’t tell me that a 4th is too high a price for Nick Paul. JFC Holland, do something you stubborn dithering man.
and we definitely could have sent Ottawa a depth forward to match what they got.

But anyway, I don't think forward is the highest priority. Defense and goaltending.

Reactions: Cloned

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
and we definitely could have sent Ottawa a depth forward to match what they got.

But anyway, I don't think forward is the highest priority. Defense and goaltending.
Who? I'm not advocating that we couldn't have outbid here, but who was our Mathieu Joseph?

Forward is definitely not the highest priority, but I think it's probably the deepest market and a smart addition or two could probably alleviate some of the stress on the defense that is clearly lacking.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Hollad is gonna outdumb his Kulikov move last year!

Kulikov looked pretty good before, and looks pretty good after his time with the Oilers. It was more of a Tippett thing

And it’s not hard to say either a 2nd round in ‘22 if available, if not a 2nd in ‘23.

I get the frustration with Holland but this seems a little nit picky to me.

Agreed, I see it as a nitpick as well. If he wants to trade the 2nd, he can make it happen.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Who? I'm not advocating that we couldn't have outbid here, but who was our Mathieu Joseph?

Forward is definitely not the highest priority, but I think it's probably the deepest market and a smart addition or two could probably alleviate some of the stress on the defense that is clearly lacking.

Ryan McLeod is our Mathieu Joseph.

And I'm assuming the posters complaining about not getting Paul would have complained about us trading McLeod + 4th for him.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Maybe Chicago is trying to Patrick Roy Fleury, leave him in for some more goals against til he agrees to waive his ntc to Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad