Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | ChaoticOrange: "The man you're looking for is Joel Persson"

Is Joel Perrson the man you're looking for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall, Galchenyuk, Hoffman, Schenn, Toffoli, Kreider, Granlund.

I'd say that's not a bad crop of wingers, although I'm sure at least a couple of them will be locked up before July 1st.

On a side note, next off-season is a great year for offensive defenseman.
Josi, Pietrangelo, Krug, Barrie, Faulk are all scheduled to be UFA's.

Most of the good ones there won't make it to UFA and in a year you're gonna be in the same situation where anyone half way decent is going to want a contract with term.

You're not getting anyone of those guys above on a 1-2 year deal. It's just kicking the problem down the curb by a year but not much really changes.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
That's pushing it, but I wouldn't surprise me in the least if he won a spot away from Benning, Bear, or Bouchard.

Personally I'm warming up to the idea of tossing a 1 year deal at Gardiner, and rolling with...

Nurse-Larsson
Gardiner-Russell
Klefbom-Persson

Basically Nurse-Larsson eat most of the top matches, Russell gets tossed into a role he's often been successful in (covering for a OFD on a pairing that sees heavy offensive usage), and Klefebom helps cover Persson, and also serves as a guy that can move up and eat minutes if/when one of the others start to struggle.

It's nothing great, but it's a unit that could move the puck effectively. I still believe that (or the lack thereof) is the main culprit why the team's bottom 6 (bottom 9...) is where offence goes to die, regardless of whoever you toss there.

Can't see Gardiner doing that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is the market for wingers next year even that great?

Hall will likely get locked up by NJ, which leaves a fairly mediocre crop. It's going to be the same problem a year from now.

It’s pretty darn good. Not including Hall, you’ve got Schenn, Galchenyuk, Hoffman, Kreider, Toffoli, the good Granlund, Coyle, Frolik, Dadonov, Sheary, among others. Snag two of those guys - say one from the Schenn/Hoffman/Kreider/Granlund/Dadonov tier and one other and suddenly we’re a ton better.

Reactions: Pointteen

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s pretty darn good. Not including Hall, you’ve got Schenn, Galchenyuk, Hoffman, Kreider, Toffoli, the good Granlund, Coyle, Frolik, Dadonov, Sheary, among others. Snag two of those guys - say one from the Schenn/Hoffman/Kreider/Granlund/Dadonov tier and one other and suddenly we’re a ton better.

You're going to have big money and term to get one of the better guys, and I doubt many of those listed there are even available.

Someone like Toffoli maybe, but he's going to want term, probably like $5 mill x 4 years ... at which point maybe you should have just moved on Ferland at $3.5 mill x 4 years the year prior instead of just flushing that year down the toilet.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Can't see Gardiner doing that.

We're to July 13th; I don't think he's getting a long term deal with a high salary. Right now he's likely looking at a 4.5/5mil x 4 year deal, instead of the 6 or 7 mil average he originally wanted.

He'd be better off to sign a 1 year deal at that amount in a good situation (somewhere where he could put up 40 to 50+ points), and then try and strike gold next year. Being the only true offensive defenceman for a team that has McDavid should be an easy sell.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You're going to have big money and term to get one of the better guys, and I doubt many of those listed there are even available.

Someone like Toffoli maybe, but he's going to want term, probably like $5 mill x 4 years ... at which point maybe you should have just moved on Ferland at $3.5 mill x 4 years the year prior instead of just flushing that year down the toilet.

We’re going to have the space to get one high value wing and one middling value wing. We basically have to.

We absolutely should have done more this offseason but frankly it’s too late for much meaningful change.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think this season is going to be a developmental year for some of the young guys. We'll see Jones, Bear, Persson and Bouchard get playing time on the back end, while Benson and Marody will get time up front.

Reactions: Cypress

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
I predict another sub-80 point season. I'm not as frustrated and angry with Holland as some are, but to say he wants to get a 3C and top 6 winger at the draft and/or in free agency and hasnt addressed either need thus far, is of concern to me. I get the cap space issue but I'd have rather he said "Don't expect much but if something makes sense, we'll go after it."
He said he wants to get a 3c or top winger he didn’t say he would be able to get one. There are still trade options and I’m holding out judgement for now

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
For the Oilers it's probably between Maroon and Vanek at this point and someone was saying Vanek might retire (lol), so uh ... I guess Maroon.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Most of the good ones there won't make it to UFA and in a year you're gonna be in the same situation where anyone half way decent is going to want a contract with term.

You're not getting anyone of those guys above on a 1-2 year deal. It's just kicking the problem down the curb by a year but not much really changes.
I'd bet at least 3 of those wingers make it to July 1st.

I wouldn't mind giving any of those guys 4+ years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd bet at least 3 of those wingers make it to July 1st.

I wouldn't mind giving any of those guys 4+ years.

I'd rather just have signed Ferland at 3.5 now if your "master plan" is to wait a full year just to get like a Toffoli @5 mill per a year from now x 4 years or something.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hope not, Maroon's too slow.

Those are the Oilers options. There's no prime steak and wine on the menu at McDonalds and if that's the only restaurant for the next 12-14 hours, you can have a Big Mac and you can shut up about it basically, lol.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just read Rangers might be parting w Ryan Strome on Pro Hockey Rumours for cheap to open cap space and playing time for their young up and comers.

Perhaps we get our 3C by getting Strome back.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just read Rangers might be parting w Ryan Strome on Pro Hockey Rumours for cheap to open cap space and playing time for their young up and comers.

Not buying it. Dude scored at like a 25 goal clip for them.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'd rather just have signed Ferland at 3.5 now if your "master plan" is to wait a full year just to get like a Toffoli @5 mill per a year from now x 4 years or something.
:laugh:

Relax man, I don't make the decisions.

You have no idea if Ferland wanted to play here.

That's the thing with a lot of guys like yourself. They think if a player signs a contract somewhere, that must mean that if their team offered that same contract that FA would have accepted it.

Guess what? Vancouver is a heck of a lot more attractive than Edmonton. Especially when you add the fact they gave him a NTC/NMC.

Would I have like Ferland on that deal? Sure. We also don't know what happens behind the scenes.

I never said I wanted Toffoli at 5 mil either, or that signing him is part of my "master plan". It's a potential option down the road though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
:laugh:

Relax man, I don't make the decisions.

You have no idea if Ferland wanted to play here.

That's the thing with a lot of guys like yourself. They think if a player signs a contract somewhere, that must mean that if their team offered that same contract that FA would have accepted it.

Guess what? Vancouver is a heck of a lot more attractive than Edmonton. Especially when you add the fact they gave him a NTC/NMC.

Would I have like Ferland on that deal? Sure. We also don't know what happens behind the scenes.

I never said I wanted Toffoli at 5 mil either, or that signing him is part of my "master plan". It's a potential option down the road though.

NMC for 2 years + limited NTC for the final is not a big deal, I'd have matched that.

You guys kinda want it both ways here, "well it's hard to sign UFAs!" but then also want to state "we'll totally be able to sign UFAs next summer though! Easy!", lol ... which one is it?

In Edmonton he'd likely have a chance to play with McDavid and he'd be getting more money actually because the tax rate is more favorable even at the same contract.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
NMC for 2 years + limited NTC for the final is not a big deal, I'd have matched that.

You guys kinda want it both ways here, "well it's hard to sign UFAs!" but then also want to state "we'll totally be able to sign UFAs next summer though! Easy!", lol ... which one is it?

In Edmonton he'd likely have a chance to play with McDavid and he'd be getting more money actually because the tax rate is more favorable even at the same contract.
I don't "want it both ways".

Sure, there is a chance none of those guys want to come to Edmonton next year. Might they want to play here though? Yes, it's a possibility.

Who cares if you would have matched that? You have no idea if Holland did match that, and Ferland declined.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
At this point, outside of a trade, I'd be fine with signing any, or all of, Vanek, Maroon, and Paajarvi.

Throw all our spaghetti at the wall, SOMETHING has to stick. At least there would be competition lol.

Maroon-Mcdavid-Draisatil
Vanek-RNH-Kassian
Granlund-Khaira-Chiasson
Paajarvi/Cave/Jurco/Haas/Nygard/Broadziak/Lucic/Gagner

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think the Oilers will be a better than 80 pt team next season.

I say this while looking at a bottom 6 that I don't feel improved AT ALL.

Basically they got Chiasson back (who'll likely do no better... and possibly worse...) plus a whole bunch of question marks.

So why do I think they'll do better?

Well the bottom 6 couldn't be much worse than last year. Even if that exact bottom 6 group from last year was still around... they'd likely do better because Rieder doesn't likely score zero goals again.

It's very likely that Drai and McD do similarly together or even a slight combined decline because every team is going to be focussing in stopping those 2 because of a lack of anything else in the lineup to worry about... but those 2 also are a year closer to their prime and still improving so it somewhat balances out.

Gagner probably is the 4th best forward on the team right now... but guys like Nygard and Benson could be pleasant surprises. Marody is another that could supply some decent offense in the bottom 6.

Persson/Bouchard/Jones should supply a little more offense on the blueline.

Smith could stup up and be a solid backup or even push for the outright starter spot... which would be huge for the team and would almost guarantee a pts improvement juts based on slightly improved goaltending.

Tippett for a season may provide a better defensive structure... and yes if they trap their way through the season (because that's likely what they'll have to employ without enough offensive talent in the bottom 6/9)... that might also get a few extra pts.

I'm not saying there is reason to think they'll be a LOT better... I just don't really see them being worse either.

I think 85-90 pts is a reasonable range with how the team looks right now.. and that's basically assuming Smith comes up with a ~91% season and a few of Persson/Nygard/Benson/Marody/Gambardella/Bouchard etc have reasonable contributions in the lineup.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Copper & Blue
@CopperandBlue

·
1h
Thinking more about it and the Oilers really can't afford to miss out on Gusev can they? That's an add they pretty much have to be in on, the upside there is could solve a massive need at a relatively low cost
Gusev and a low cost reclamation project like Nichushkin seem like a nice possibility for under $5m combined. The problem is that I don't see Vegas being overly willing to hand us a potential Panarin-level asset on the cheap.

So you really have to question what you're willing to give up to a division rival for a player you have no clue what they bring to the table.

I also have concerns about our ability to tap into the offense of a player who doesn't speak a lick of English.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Nuge for Strome for the sake of cap space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad