Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | ChaoticOrange: "The man you're looking for is Joel Persson"

Is Joel Perrson the man you're looking for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Sure we have 25 million in cap space in 2020 but need to sign 12 players.....

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
And? Our issue is that too much cap is being used up by players that are essentially useless to the team. Having those contracts expire allows us to use the dead cap space more effectively. Right now over 12 mill of that 25 mill is used up on fourth liners and #8 dmen. Don’t you agree around 8 mill of the 12 could be used elsewhere?

Reactions: North

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Looks at calendar:

*July 13th

tenor.gif

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
And? Our issue is that too much cap is being used up by players that are essentially useless to the team. Having those contracts expire allows us to use the dead cap space more effectively. Right now over 12 mill of that 25 mill is used up on fourth liners and #8 dmen. Don’t you agree around 8 mill of the 12 could be used elsewhere?

Well Lucic Larson Russell are still on the roster.

Chiasson McDavid Drasaitl
XXX - RNH - XXX (RNH most likely is gone that trade deadline)
XXX - XXX -XXX
XXX - Khaira-XXX

Klefbom - Larsson
XXX - Russell
XXX - XXX

Koskinen

25 Million Barely covers 2 Top 6 wingers and a #3 Dman

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yes I am down for Persson. Is he likely to accomplish that task of contributing offensively?

Bah. Our team sucks.

I predict another sub-80 point season. I'm not as frustrated and angry with Holland as some are, but to say he wants to get a 3C and top 6 winger at the draft and/or in free agency and hasnt addressed either need thus far, is of concern to me. I get the cap space issue but I'd have rather he said "Don't expect much but if something makes sense, we'll go after it."

tabs

Oct 30, 2009

XXX - XXX -XXX
XXX - Khaira-XXX

Klefbom - Larsson
XXX - Russell
XXX - XXX

Koskinen

Even if you assume Nurse gets 6 mill to be your #3 dman, you think two top six wingers will cost almost 19 mill? Maybe double check your math.

Drai-McD-2 mill
5 mill-Nuge-4 mill
Khaira-3 mill-chiasson
Lucic-1 mill-1 mill

Klef-Larsson
6 mill-Russell
1 mill-1 mill

Kosk
2 mill

And that’s assuming Russell isn’t moved with one year left on his deal to open up another 4 mill. Say what you will, but adding a 5 mill and 4 mill winger, along with a legit 3 mill 3C changes this team. And 25 mill goes a long to getting there. Not just barely getting us two wingers and a 3D

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016

XXX - XXX -XXX
XXX - Khaira-XXX

Klefbom - Larsson
XXX - Russell
XXX - XXX

Koskinen

Larsson needs a new contract after next season as well so what does his extension cost $5-$5.5 million a year range? Add that on top of Nurse’s $6-$7 million extension that’s easily $12+ million between them both. Then if RNH decides to stay that’s another $7 million at least.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Well I could see a number of these guys on ELC's playing that season:

Bouchard
Benson
1 of Samorukov or Broberg
Marody
Yamamoto
McLeod

On cheap deals coming off their ELC's
Jones
Lagesson/Bear

That should be some serious potential bang for their buck with a number of these guys.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Larsson needs a new contract after next season as well so what does his extension cost $5-$5.5 million a year range? Add that on top of Nurse’s $6-$7 million extension that’s easily $12+ million between them both. Then if RNH decides to stay that’s another $7 million at least.
Larson and Nuge are up the year after, which has another 20 mill off the books on top of the 25 next year. Their new deals don’t impact next years cap.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Well I could see a number of these guys on ELC's playing that season:

Bouchard
Benson
1 of Samorukov or Broberg
Marody
Yamamoto
McLeod

On cheap deals coming off their ELC's
Jones
Lagesson/Bear

That should be some serious potential bang for their buck with a number of these guys.

Realistically were going to need about 9 elcs to perform way above their contract to make playoffs even a remote possibility

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Next year our team will be a ton of graduating prospects. This is Jones, Bear, and Lagesson's last years of waiver eligibility. Bouchard, Yams, Samorukov, Benson, Marody, and McLeod all have strong chances of making the roster. Lot's of the expiring contracts can be replaced by them. Realistically, we should be able to sign a top-6 winger from FA.

Chiasson - McDavid - Draisaitl
Galchenyuk - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Benson - McLeod - Yamamoto
Lucic (?) - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard
Samorukov - Jones

I really like the look of that team.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Next year our team will be a ton of graduating prospects. This is Jones, Bear, and Lagesson's last years of waiver eligibility. Bouchard, Yams, Samorukov, Benson, Marody, and McLeod all have strong chances of making the roster. Lot's of the expiring contracts can be replaced by them. Realistically, we should be able to sign a top-6 winger from FA.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard
Samorukov - Jones

Puljujarvi ain't gonna be here.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

XXX - XXX -XXX
XXX - Khaira-XXX

Klefbom - Larsson
XXX - Russell
XXX - XXX

Koskinen

So top six wingers and #3 dmen go for around 8 million a year each?

Hogwash.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard
Samorukov - Jones

That team looks god awful.

You have a third/fourth liner on the top line, a non NHLer on the second line, the third line should not include any AHLers other than Benson since he's had a good year of development, and even then he should be with proven vets, and the fourth line is a defensive nightmare.

The D core having 3 rookies, 2 of which have no professional experience outside a cup of coffee in the AHL is a surefire way to ruin all three of them, especially when the guys sheltering them are Larsson who's been trash lately, Nurse who's not suitable for being the defensive presence on a line with a rookie offensive D, and Klefbom who's a strong gust away from missing 6 months and leaving Nurse Larsson as the top pair with rookies everywhere else.

Even if by "next year" you mean 2020/21, it's crazy to think any part of this roster looks realistic or good outside of Mcdavid, Drai, and RNH.

Reactions: mouz135

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Larsson is under contract for two more seasons.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
That team looks god awful.

You have a third/fourth liner on the top line, a non NHLer on the second line, the third line should not include any AHLers other than Benson since he's had a good year of development, and even then he should be with proven vets, and the fourth line is a defensive nightmare.

The D core having 3 rookies, 2 of which have no professional experience outside a cup of coffee in the AHL is a surefire way to ruin all three of them, especially when the guys sheltering them are Larsson who's been trash lately, Nurse who's not suitable for being the defensive presence on a line with a rookie offensive D, and Klefbom who's a strong gust away from missing 6 months and leaving Nurse Larsson as the top pair with rookies everywhere else.

Even if by "next year" you mean 2020/21, it's crazy to think any part of this roster looks realistic or good outside of Mcdavid, Drai, and RNH.

I meant 2020-21, by the way. And it was just a relative template. By that time, 2 of Pulju, Yams, and Benson should be top-9 forwards, maybe even top-6.

And Russell would be there, I was just showing our prospect pool ready to make the jump.

Also, remember: Benson and Pulju are the same age. We all regard Benson higher, because he was drafted lower, and thus had lower expectations. When Pulju was in the AHL, he was more dominant than Benson. I think by that time he will be a legit NHLer.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Nope but roughly 15 millions will be used or more for those positions leaving crumbs for the rest of the roster

Let's look at who they are losing.

Brandon Manning 2.5 mil
Sam Gagner 3.15 mil
Zack Kassian 1.95 mil
Markus Garanlund 1.3 mil
Kyle Brodziak 1.15 mil
Mathew Benning 1.9 mil
Mike Smith 2 mil
Eric Gryba 300k

The rest are bury-able contracts ie. Persson, Nygard.

Other than Kassian, maybe Benning...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is the market for wingers next year even that great?

Hall will likely get locked up by NJ, which leaves a fairly mediocre crop. It's going to be the same problem a year from now.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
IMO Persson could very well walk into a top four job.

Probably not likely, but he’s got the skill set to do so.

That's pushing it, but I wouldn't surprise me in the least if he won a spot away from Benning, Bear, or Bouchard.

Personally I'm warming up to the idea of tossing a 1 year deal at Gardiner, and rolling with...

Nurse-Larsson
Gardiner-Russell
Klefbom-Persson

Basically Nurse-Larsson eat most of the top matches, Russell gets tossed into a role he's often been successful in (covering for a OFD on a pairing that sees heavy offensive usage), and Klefebom helps cover Persson, and also serves as a guy that can move up and eat minutes if/when one of the others start to struggle.

It's nothing great, but it's a unit that could move the puck effectively. I still believe that (or the lack thereof) is the main culprit why the team's bottom 6 (bottom 9...) is where offence goes to die, regardless of whoever you toss there.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Is the market for wingers next year even that great?

Hall will likely get locked up by NJ, which leaves a fairly mediocre crop. It's going to be the same problem a year from now.
Hall, Galchenyuk, Hoffman, Schenn, Toffoli, Kreider, Granlund.

I'd say that's not a bad crop of wingers, although I'm sure at least a couple of them will be locked up before July 1st.

On a side note, next off-season is a great year for offensive defenseman.
Josi, Pietrangelo, Krug, Barrie, Faulk are all scheduled to be UFA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad