Rumor: Rumours & Proposals: 6 Days and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Agreed. Nurse has been looking terrible. He's regressing right now and it's scary. I hope he breaks some of those habits, he should be in the minors right now.

edit: Agreed, Sekera is the LEAST of our worries.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No one is coming down on Darnell.
No one is saying he sucks. They are just saying he is struggling this year in both sides of the ice.

Others are saying they are willing to trade him for a guy that is his realistic end spot.

Yes, because hes a rookie D with tremendous upside. If you want a real life example of what Nurses development curve is going to look like, watch Ristolianen. Sucked just as bad at both ends first season, slightly improved next, offense took a major boost in third. Now hes being (incorrectly) compared to Ekblad

We have a wealth of forwards and top picks (yet again) on this team. You dont trade D for D. Especially one with the upside of Nurse.

Id like to think that after years of rebuilding and having horrible D with no upside, Oiler fans would wise up that we need to get as many good D as possible. However in this thread its evident we are stuck again in 2012 thinking

NYI doesnt want to do Hamonic for a forward? you tell them to shove it and move to next D

Although im not sure why I, or anyone, is debating trading Nurse. Because Chia has said he wont do it.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Rookie D. You have to cut major slack

Lets look at Ristolainens affect on teammates Corsi

And thats in his 3rd season in pro hockey, 2nd full NHL season. His numbers as rookie were brutal (moreso than Nurses). So other young D have struggles too

You dont throw the baby out with the bathwater. And thankfully Chia agrees and has stated Nurse and Klefbom wont be dealt for Hamonic and both are pretty untouchable.

Young D are like little lions in that they need to be protected. Whereas yougn forwards are more like baby fish in that they are ready to go from game one. However once you develop those D, they are way more imporant
So you are saying that waterboarding your young defenseman with minutes that they can't handle, is not a recipe for success? :sarcasm: ;)

All joking aside, Nurse should be in the AHL. He should have been in the AHL the whole season. He doesn't bring offence, like Ristolainen, and he bleeds shots, scoring chances and goals against. But that is obviously on management and the coaching staff. It's not Darnell's fault that he's been miscast.

And I don't think anybody has "soured" on him. He is going to be a good player in time. But Chiarelli will have to do everything he can to get one, preferably two, top-4 RHD in before the start of 2016-2017. Is Nurse the preferred one to trade to achieve that? Obviously not, but he can't be off the table.

No one, outside of McDavid, should be.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm still open to any tough trades that don't include McDavid.

When you add McDavid to Draisaitl, RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Kelfbom, Nurse, Davidson, Reinhart and our 1st, there are very few teams in the NHL who have more 'value' than we do when you add all up. So I'm fine making some trades that the other team gets the better future player, if it helps us contend now.

Enough is enough. Nurse is not untouchable.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That's not a bad thing. If the Rangers cannot afford to re-sign Yandle, which most people thinking they cannot, then he will hit the market as an UFA.

Would he be a good fit here in Edmonton (he would be another left shot)? And can the Oilers afford his asking price?

Depends on his price. Yandle is Schultz if Schultz didn't suck. Bad at defense but he can run a mean PP and make an outlet pass.

Problem is somebody out there is going to give him first pairing dollars. The Oilers would still need enough money to find an actual, legit first pairing guy.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Trust me if you think our D sucks, you would NOT want to see it without Sekera. He's the least of our problems as a team.

Not saying trade Sekera for a forward. Just highlighting that he isnt doing what he was brought in to do (for 5.5 million dollars). If you need to trade a LHD for a vet RHD. You look at Sekera. I dont mind Sekera and would easily keep him, but dude needs to step it up.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yes, because hes a rookie D with tremendous upside. If you want a real life example of what Nurses development curve is going to look like, watch Ristolianen. Sucked just as bad at both ends first season, slightly improved next, offense took a major boost in third. Now hes being (incorrectly) compared to Ekblad

We have a wealth of forwards and top picks (yet again) on this team. You dont trade D for D. Especially one with the upside of Nurse.

Id like to think that after years of rebuilding and having horrible D with no upside, Oiler fans would wise up that we need to get as many good D as possible. However in this thread its evident we are stuck again in 2012 thinking

NYI doesnt want to do Hamonic for a forward? you tell them to shove it and move to next D

Although im not sure why I, or anyone, is debating trading Nurse. Because Chia has said he wont do it.

You realize Ristolainen is the same age as Nurse and has been thrown to the wolves since he was 18. If Nurse were an 18 year old kid out there I'd get what your saying, but we've taken quite a bit of time with Nurse and he should be looking better then he has to this point.

McDeathbyCheerios*

What next d?

Shattenkirk who is one year away from ufa?

Old over the top d who would be on the bottom pairing?

Vatanen or Trouba, both who are good but more youth that will struggle.

We can't afford to sit here and not make trades because we are afraid of what a player might become in a perfect situation.

Yes you don't move d to fix a however when you are going from a guy who is a #5 to a #2 that is a straight up improvemen. Our makeup next year should be

Klefbom - Blank
Sekera - Blank
Davidson - Blank

Nurse fills in that bottom pairing spot next year and the year after might creep up into the spot higher.

If Moving Nurse fills in that top spot especially for a guy signed to a good contract for a while and is only 26, you do it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So you are saying that waterboarding your young defenseman with minutes that they can't handle, is not a recipe for success? :sarcasm: ;)

All joking aside, Nurse should be in the AHL. He should have been in the AHL the whole season. He doesn't bring offence, like Ristolainen, and he bleeds shots, scoring chances and goals against. But that is obviously on management and the coaching staff. It's not Darnell's fault that he's been miscast.

And I don't think anybody has "soured" on him. He is going to be a good player in time. But Chiarelli will have to do everything he can to get one, preferably two, top-4 RHD in before the start of 2016-2017. Is Nurse the preferred one to trade to achieve that? Obviously not, but he can't be off the table.

No one, outside of McDavid, should be.

I dont disagree he should be in AHL. Not really a knock on him. Dude had no pro experience prior to this season, and had little support on the team to shelter him.

Like Nurse, another young D is having struggles. I wonder if Buffalo fans are looking to trade RR?

I also dont think anyone outside McDavid is untouchable. But if you are trading Nurse for a D, he better be a top pairing D (whos a bit more expensive). trading him for a solidifed top 4 D with limited upside would be an unmitigated disaster. For one, you can trade a forward for that. Second- thats his floor and his upside is massive

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta

Risto has proceeded to take what might be the most difficult step there is in development for young players and you automatically assume Nurse can do the same because he compares to an 18 year old Risto.

Not to mention the fact that we have done a good job at making it difficult for young players to gain confidence and develop here. You're not doing any favours in the for or against argument in dealing Nurse to improve this defense.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You realize Ristolainen is the same age as Nurse and has been thrown to the wolves since he was 18. If Nurse were an 18 year old kid out there I'd get what your saying, but we've taken quite a bit of time with Nurse and he should be looking better then he has to this point.

Pro experience is huge and ill take that any day over age. Nurse was in the CHL playing with children. RR was in AHL/NHL learning pro hockey. And still, at the same age (with RR having 150 more pro games) RR is ahead of Nurse but not by a ton, and still has glaring issues on defensive side of things. But thats the case with young D

Hell even Trouba is struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad