Rumor: Rumours & Proposals: 6 Days and Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Continue

As much as I hate to admit it we are not taking a sc run with this team. chia knows this and more then likely realizes the new core is the future and that means we won't be makin a run until the likes of hall and Eberles contracts are up. More then likely we are going to do a quick touch rebuild being the fondation Is solid with McD, Dra, klefbom, nurse. These are the new core and 3 years Away from a major push IMO. As much as that sucks. I feel if we try and use his core to make it we will make it to the playoffs but never a legit contender

I don't even care who they trade any more, but it is interesting to me that the team has only won 3 of 13 games since Nugent-Hopkins went down for injury. I seem to recall some people pointing out that this was exactly what was going to happen when he got injured and they certainly appear correct. For all the crap Nugent-Hopkins takes from some folks around here he certainly seems to have a tangible impact on how the Oilers do.

The Oilers lose no matter what

they lost to Ana, Win, Min, Col, NJ, NYI, Mtl, Nas, Dal, TB.

With Nuge they most likely lose those games no matter what. Maybe the Preds & Jets cause they were home games but even then that's a stretch for Nashville.

Won against Ott, TO, CbJ,

Obvious wins

I am glad that this community is finally on board with trading pretty well anyone in rebuild 1.0 provided that it makes this team better. Which is probably will just by addition through subtraction.

Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Schultz are all too similar. Too small. Not physical. I was never convinced that we would win with all of them. I've been on the "blow it up" bandwagon for a couple of seasons now.

This team wasn't/isn't diverse enough. Too many redundant players. Once this team deals the right players, signs some better fits and decides to develop defense, they'll finally be in the right direction. We have the best building block in a decade on this team, and a better, more diverse supporting cast around him in Draisaitl, Nurse and Klefbom (and maybe even Brossoit.)

The mix has been wrong from the start, and I'm glad that many can finally plainly see what I have been seeing for years.

Lets blow up 1.0 and make this team tougher, deeper and more willing to get to the dirty places to score goals.

I have a feeling we are going to see a very different looking team next season.

Our d isnt good enough, goaltending isnt good enough bottom 6 isnt good enough. Yeah we will trade one of Ebs or Nuge for a dman, I think Yak will be gone.

Last edited:

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Chiarelli could make 3 or so trades in the offseason and make this team a playoff contender.

3 of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Schultz should be gone.

But the same could've been said for 2, 3 years. Management just kept drinking the same snake oil they were trying to sell the fans. "It'll be better next year. A few players away."

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Whats peoples opinions on Talbot? Hes been ok, not great IMO.

Is he our future starter? I actually dont see it.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Chiarelli could make 3 or so trades in the offseason and make this team a playoff contender.

But the same could've been said for 2, 3 years. Management just kept drinking the same snake oil they were trying to sell the fans. "It'll be better next year. A few players away."

Yak and Schultz have very low value and getting rid of them won't impact the results that much one way or another.

The other three? Hall is untouchable IMO, and unless you're getting a true top four d-man plus in exchange for RNH or Eberle, there's no point.

Bringing in more "grit" or "compete" in the top six won't make a lick of difference if the D-corps is still a smoking crater.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

I feel it was all part of Katz's plan, ...until the new arena opens, there has been no real attempt to get that much better.
I think that 1st pick will be put in play with some big names to get the Oilers a bona fide defence to start the next season...they've been biding their time.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I don't know about three and 'should be' gone.

Schultz is a given to be gone. For the rest you mentioned, I don't think they move is required for a culture change.

Yak probably needs a change of scenario, although I think he could be a decent NHLer.

Ebs/Nuge/Hall? I wouldn't part with Hall unless it is a massive opportunity. An absolute, unquestioned #1D signed to term, or willing to extend here.

Nuge and Ebs? Really depends on the potential deal. I think they are good players and can continue to be contributors going forward. Definitely not untouchable, but only tradeable if the return is worth it.

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005

If this team isn't in the playoffs next year, I quit them. I love the Oilers but you can only take so much abuse from loved ones before you need to leave the relationship. We have moved well beyond being pathetic. The culture of losing is too deep in the org.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

He has a .911 save percentage behind probably the worst defense in the league so yes, I think he is the future starter

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I don't know about three and 'should be' gone.

Schultz is a given to be gone. For the rest you mentioned, I don't think they move is required for a culture change.

Yak probably needs a change of scenario, although I think he could be a decent NHLer.

Ebs/Nuge/Hall? I wouldn't part with Hall unless it is a massive opportunity. An absolute, unquestioned #1D signed to term, or willing to extend here.

Nuge and Ebs? Really depends on the potential deal. I think they are good players and can continue to be contributors going forward. Definitely not untouchable, but only tradeable if the return is worth it.

Then lets just sputter with the same group again next year.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
The only untouchable on a team like this is McDavid. That is it. If Hall nabs you a legit top 2 you go do it. Hopefully eberle can nab a top four.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Talbot has been fine. Certainly not up there with the biggest concerns. Talbot+(backup) should be solid enough with an overhauled defense.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I was on record at the beginning of the year that if this team is in the same place it is right now that I could easily 2 big names from the old rebuild gone.

I could see RNH/Eberle both gone, Purcell/Fayne: deadline, Pouliot: will be an add on to something bigger; less likely, Nikita/Ference/Schultz: obviously gone Gryba/Korpikosi/Letestu: if there is a deal possibly; most likely not

The reasons I see it that way is

a) If it's a top 3 pick (a Pujularvi, Laine, Matthews) it will not be traded it's just to tempting to not put that player in the lineup, the player is younger, cheaper, and fits with Nurse (21), Klefbom (23), Mcdavid (19) ages.

If the Oilers further along in rebuilding I would say yes, but essentially Matthews/Pujularvi/Laine is 18 vs Hall (25), Eberle (26), RNH (23)

I guess I came to my senses and reversed my feelings (you guys no who you are converted me) as much as people will disagree, you first of all rarely see #1D man get traded and teams will offer a very good #2, or #3 d-man (Shattenkirk, Hamonic, Trouba) no ones giving Pietrelangelo or OEL.

The Oilers will definitely buckle and trade a RNH/Eberle/Hall + prospect/player.
I think Pouliot/Reinhart/ are the add ons.

b) with keeping the picks I see 2 #2/#3 d-man coming back, will most likely see at the trade deadline d-man coming back but a depth/prospect - much like Reinhart deal last year, and probably a high end prospect/picks

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
What?

How does insisting on value for assets traded = sputtering with the same group again next year?

I never said you deal them for the sake of dealing.

Of course you don't move Hall for nothing but legit NHL talent.

It's high time management thoroughly explores trading anyone and everyone not named McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse or Klefbom.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
I can't even be interested next year unless we somehow get a top 2 and at least one legit top four dman and two of our forward core are gone.

I agree, that's exactly the minimum I think we need as well. A top-2 and top-4 D to bump the rest of the pecking order down a few notches.

Our promising young D have been thrown in the deep end too long. Nurse looks overwhelmed and I'm afraid his confidence might never recover if the let him flounder much longer. Hell, I'd be OK with sending him to the AHL the rest of the year for his own good.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I never said you deal them for the sake of dealing.

Of course you don't move Hall for nothing but legit NHL talent.

It's high time management thoroughly explores trading anyone and everyone not named McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse or Klefbom.

I think the bar is a little higher than merely legit NHL talent for Hall.

I'm thinking the Pronger deal (coming in not going out) as the level of talent it would take to move Hall.

Great to move Eberle, but the team still needs a legit first line RW then.

Back to your original post, I can see three of the five you mentioned being gone next year if those three are Schultz, Yak and Nuge.

It's unfortunate Nuge broke his hand when he did as it doesn't allow the team to showcase him.

There could be some massive changes to the team with trades in the off-season.

I do wonder if a little part of Chia is reluctant to give up on young talent given how terribly the Seguin deal worked out for Boston. Given that it probably contributed to his dismissal.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

yak and schultz have little value

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
At least this week will be interesting with trades. I doubt anything big from the Oilers, maybe a Yak deal at most.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Schultz has basically no value at the TDL. Whoever holds his rights at the end of the season will not qualify him. The only scenario is a playoff team that has a sudden need for a power play quarterback.

Yak has more value than Schultz, but basically no value. I'd say a third rounder at best or a + in a bigger deal.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,

Considering he recently resigned 3 years extension for over 12 million dollars , hes the oilers guy. he is hardly elite, and is probably at best a top 20 goalie in the NHL. They definitly need another backup goalie for next season, unless they think Brossoit is ready, as i dont think Nillson will be brought back, as they quickly lost confidence in him.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,

Trading yakupov away for a 2nd rounder would be a mistake, his value is so low, you might as well keep him around for another year to at least try to rebuild some trade value. he will never flourish here in edmonton, and maybe he could find new life on another team. Schultz garners you a mid round draft pick or another prospect who is on the outs with another organization.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Schultz has basically no value at the TDL. Whoever holds his rights at the end of the season will not qualify him. The only scenario is a playoff team that has a sudden need for a power play quarterback.

Yak has more value than Schultz, but basically no value. I'd say a third rounder at best or a + in a bigger deal.

Except Schultz has proven to not even be able to QB a PP. Wow he has become bad. May get a 5th for him. Just qualifying him will ensure he gets a raise, and nobody is doing that. Gotta love the Union.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Except Schultz has proven to not even be able to QB a PP. Wow he has become bad. May get a 5th for him. Just qualifying him will ensure he gets a raise, and nobody is doing that. Gotta love the Union.

I was stretching for something that might give him some value. :laugh:

The NHLPA has left him in an interesting position. He can't stay with the Oilers without a 10% raise. That won't happen.

The only way he stays in the league is with about a 70% pay cut. (If someone is willing to give him $1M next year. Still a big if.)

Meh, he'll play in Europe next year. Then after a season he'll give up and retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad