Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | 1K Post Thread Limit Reinstated Site Wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
We're going back to 1K post limits per thread.

Continue here.

Last few posts:

Maybe it's the same money, as a show me to the team and the league so to speak.

I'd rather the Oilers start with 8 dmen and 13 forwards to begin the season anyway.

Give the 9 game stint to Bouchard and I assume Gravel will be the #7 who sits in the pressbox to start the year.

He had some effective play with Nuge too. IMO that could prove to be a great line.

We have Rattie slotted in to play with Connor and I don’t consider Rattie to be fast. Plus Maroon has proven chemistry with Connor and having both him and Lucic just two seasons ago in our line up was fine. I’m all for bringing Maroon back at a reasonable deal, unfortunately it won’t happen.

I'm surprised Winnik doesn't have a contract yet... likely the best 2-way forward left on the market.

If the Oilers are truly looking for that #14 forward... Winnik easily would be the best option out there.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
If Bouchard is good enough to make the Oilers. I could see us dumping Kassian+Benning and being able to sign Maroon. Thats the only way I see us fitting Maroon in without dumping Lucic.

Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
Maroon-Drai-Pulujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Rieder
Khiara-Brodizak-Caggiula
Aberg

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Russell
Sekera-Bouchard
Gravel

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If Bouchard is good enough to make the Oilers. I could see us dumping Kassian+Benning and being able to sign Maroon. Thats the only way I see us fitting Maroon in without dumping Lucic.

Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
Maroon-Drai-Pulujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Rieder
Khiara-Brodizak-Caggiula
Aberg

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Russell
Sekera-Bouchard
Gravel
If that were the case I'd have it as so:
Nuge-Mcdavid-Yamo/Pulju
Maroon-Drai-Rieder
Lucic-Strome-Pulju/Yamo
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russel
Sekera-Bouchard

Dadbot
Koskinen

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Nuge-McDavid-Yamamoto
Maroon-Drai-Rieder
Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodizak-Rattie
Aberg/Caggiula

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Russell
Sekera-Bouchard
Gravel

I like the idea of signing Maroon and am good with Benning/Kassian being shipped out.

Tweaked right wing. Yamamoto should be with the Oilers this coming season.Rieder signing only makes sense if he plays with Drai. Third line minutes for Puljujarvi. Either she's ready to eventually move up to the second line or time to move on. Rattie/Aberg/Caggiula are interchangeable.

With Bear as the first call up the D should be ok.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I’d honestly like to try Kass with 97 and 93. He can definitely skate with them. He also provides a different element to that line.

He played with the Sedins in Vancouver a bit and didn’t look all that out of place, and they are slow.

Reactions: OilDrop37 and 780il

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
They are really going to have to feed Bear/Bouchard pp minutes during preseason to see if they are capable of filling that need because if they don't I doubt either of them stay up with the big team. Honestly those 2 specifically should probably be playing the most preseason games outside any of our defense going into preseason.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I’d honestly like to try Kass with 97 and 93. He can definitely skate with them. He also provides a different element to that line.

He played with the Sedins in Vancouver a bit and didn’t look all that out of place, and they are slow.
I think he lacks the iq to play there. Skill and play style wise he's no doubt a good fit there. I just question his ability to process the game to play with two guys that have crazy hockey iq's.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
What do you guys think Nurse will get on his next contract. Im gonna guess 3 years x 3.5 million. I wouldnt be opposed to 6-8 years at or under 4.5m.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

He looked outta place toot sweet, so they moved him. He had a small sample size there and they moved him when the play dropped off

Kass is not a player who can maintain that spot. He also doesn't bring it night in and out like Wilson in Wash. In the playoffs Kass was great, over 82 games...not so much

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What do you guys think Nurse will get on his next contract. Im gonna guess 3 years x 3.5 million. I wouldnt be opposed to 6-8 years at or under 4.5m.

If Nurse makes Ghost, Ekholm or Klingberg $, Chia should be fired

Nurse is a shutdown dman. No way he deserves more $ than Brodin or Tanev right now.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think he lacks the iq to play there. Skill and play style wise he's no doubt a good fit there. I just question his ability to process the game to play with two guys that have crazy hockey iq's.

I dunno... Maroon did well with McDavid and I don't think people would say he has exceptional hockey IQ.

Keep your stick on the ice and get to areas where the smarter players can feed you the puck so you can cash in on the iq and smart plays of your teammates.

Actually we saw Yakupov do decently as well in his small sample with McDavid. He certainly doesn't have the reputation for having high hockey IQ either.

I think... paradoxically... too much iq on the ice can sometimes lead to the old "trying to pass the puck into the net" syndrome.

Sometimes you need players who are just smart enough to get to those right areas and get to those obvious rebound/greasy areas and let that elite talent find a way to create those offensive chances that they can then finish.

Reactions: 780il

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I feel the same way, but due to rise in cap he might end up with more.

With all due respect, and I get the rise in cap..but F that!! 4mil is where I draw the line on anything longterm, cuz Nurse hasn't even surpassed the ceiling that Klef or Larsson have

Infact, IMO, Larsson helped him inflate his stats. He also dropped flat after January. If Chia rewards this guy with another "potential" salary 4 years in, mail in your seasons

Not to mention Nurse's trade value will take a hit, and say goodbye to getting a return IF we trade him like Hamonic got

But it's Chia..so Nurse will likely get more on a bridge than some of the more premier dman in the NHL

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I look at it this way... Nurse was looking like a top pairing dman in the 1st half of last season and then fell off somewhat to looking like a middle pairing type dman (and sometimes you could even make the argument he was looking like a #5... but so did most Oilers dmen last year).

Overall you are going to be paying Nurse based somewhat on potential and on what his ceiling could be longer term.

I think at minimum he ends up being a solid shutdown 2nd pairing D... with a little more offense than he's shown so far... $4 million for that isn't a high cost.

$79.5 million for 23 players is an average salary of ~$3.5 million... which is what your "average player" will be making in today's NHL.

If you can make the argument that Nurse will be at least a little better than average dman going forward, something in the ballpark of $4 million isn't ridiculous.

He'd be like a half price Trouba. :)

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I look at it this way... Nurse was looking like a top pairing dman in the 1st half of last season and then fell off somewhat to looking like a middle pairing type dman (and sometimes you could even make the argument he was looking like a #5... but so did most Oilers dmen last year).

Overall you are going to be paying Nurse based somewhat on potential and on what his ceiling could be longer term.

I think at minimum he ends up being a solid shutdown 2nd pairing D... with a little more offense than he's shown so far... $4 million isn't a high cost.

I agree, but if he continues to improve he still has the potential to be a low end 1d. 40 to 50 points, exceptional skating, good defensively, plays big minutes, has size and is physical. The question is whether he can keep improving and explode offensively in his 3rd, 4th or 5th season in the NHL like Hedman did.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

I think at minimum he ends up being a solid shutdown 2nd pairing D... with a little more offense than he's shown so far... $4 million isn't a high cost.

Nurse was looking like a top pair dman at best with a # 2 dman who clearly carried him. When Lars had his issues, Nurse disappeared with added duties. Even Chia acknowledged this in his dman eval. So Nurse is not a top pair, just a player who can swim when he has an anchor

Trouba played top pair with a rookie all year long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad