Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | 1K Post Thread Limit Reinstated Site Wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The Caps weren't as dumb as the Oilers either, they didn't compound the Forsberg blown trade by then also trading away Backstrom or Kuznetsov for a no offence no.2 d-man and signed Lucic expecting him to make up the difference.

If the Oilers only made one of those two mistakes they still probably are in OK shape but blowing it on both was franchise altering no question.

Sometimes you just need to regroup before you try and take on randoms on hf again.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We did have one season where we made the playoffs. I'd say bad coaching has crippled us far more than the GM.

I'd say they have been equally crippling. Hopefully one of those problems were solved with the new assistants but then again, the old assistant who failed miserably is now in charge of the development program.
Lets just hope that both GM and coach have learned some hard lessons. I'm actually pretty satisfied with the draft, coaching and player additions thus far this offseason.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Being 'good' at it rarely moves the needle in a significant manner. Washington's failure in those first 12 years might shed some light on why it may not be the most effective method to build your team around a star left winger if you wish to see consistent playoff success.

To be equivalent to what the Oilers did the Caps would have to had followed up getting fleeced on the Forsberg deal by trading away Backstrom or Kuznetsov for Larsson and then capping themselves out by signing Lucic and Russell.

If they follow the pattern of idiocy equivalent to the Oilers, no way do they have a Cup today.

Ovy would likely be retiring Cup less. The Oilers didn't just make one dumb move, they made multiple.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'd say they have been equally crippling. Hopefully one of those problems were solved with the new assistants but then again, the old assistant who failed miserably is now in charge of the development program.
Lets just hope that both GM and coach have learned some hard lessons. I'm actually pretty satisfied with the draft, coaching and player additions thus far this offseason.

I'm not terribly upset with Woodcroft as a development coach as that seems to be where is strength lies according to reports when the Oilers first hired McLellan and company. He seemed to specialize in skill development.

I'm pretty happy with the offseason so far as well.

North

Jun 25, 2009
And yet they still regularly have finished above the Oilers in the standings.... If you give the Coyotes a player like Mcdavid who we lucked into, they'd indoubtedly be in a better place then us with their young core and having a stud like OEL on the backend. Winning the Mcdavid lottery covered up a lot of warts for this organization.

If...if...if. The fact is the Coyotes are still a losing franchise and not really a model of anything. Who gives a shit if they are better than the Oilers some years? Really high bar to set.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Well, looks like Chicago is gearing up to trade for Faulk. Once that is done, I see Murphy on his way out, especially since Coach Q doesn’t like him all that much and their left side is very bare.

Would y’all do Russell for Murphy as a base deal? I take that 100 times out of 100.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If...if...if. The fact is the Coyotes are still a losing franchise and not really a model of anything. Who gives a **** if they are better than the Oilers some years? Really high bar to set.

How the saying go those in glass houses shouldnt throw stones....

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well, looks like Chicago is gearing up to trade for Faulk. Once that is done, I see Murphy on his way out, especially since Coach Q doesn’t like him all that much and their left side is very bare.

Would y’all do Russell for Murphy as a base deal? I take that 100 times out of 100.

If someone doesn't like Russell for 3 more years at $4 million... they likely won't like Murphy for 4 more years at $3.85 million either.

Murphy isn't any better than Russell.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
If someone doesn't like Russell for 3 more years at $4 million... they likely won't like Murphy for 4 more years at $3.85 million either.

Murphy isn't any better than Russell.
This is a joke right?

At the very least, Murphy is young and getting better at reducing goals against than Russell if you wanna get nit picky with Rel Goal stats.

Murphy also destroys Russell in every advanced stat category and helps his team keep position of the puck.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Chayka is all in on the Vegas model. Lots of mid tier talent. Currently 9 centers on the roster
They have elite talent in OEL and Keller as well. Solid situation in net. D core looks strong, right side is weak. They have Strome who if he lives up to expectations is another elite level guy as well as Galchenyuk if he can benefit from the change of scenery. Wild card team that could make the playoffs or be a shit show again. No one knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad