Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Deadline Festivities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Going to try and keep an active log of rumors this trade deadline. Let's see how well the sticky-at-the-top option works.

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-list-1.203546 - Link to TSN's Trade Bait List

RUMOURS

ALEX CHIASSON

- Dreger and Lebrun (Bobcast, Insider Trading, 7:30 Thursday morning show hit): Oilers seeking 2nd + prospect valuation.
- Dusty Nielson over at Oilersnation mentioned Lebrun saying Pittsburgh shown some interest.
- Jason Gregor thinks it's more likely Chiasson stays.

---

SPECULATION / HEARSAY

- This thread started with a post about a Taylor Hall discussion happening on Elliot Friedman's weekly Oilers Now hit on Friday. It was a discussion that began on a different podcast with Friedman fantasizing about what he would do if he was the new Oilers GM. One of his three points was to inquire about Taylor Hall in Free Agency. Stauffer said he would inquire about Hall this summer, a year prior to Free Agency. Stauffer said he would give up 3-4 assets to acquire Hall. End scene.

- With Pulju on IR, seeking a 2nd opinion, and the possibility of surgery being brought up, I would imagine that Pulju has no value to anyone in a trade at this point in time.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If Stone was 20-24 I’d want him. But he’s going to want big money and when you look at goal scorers, they usually score the majority of their goals before their 25th birthday. I don’t want another boat anchor contract in 2-4 years when Stone’s scoring at a 20 goal 50 point pace.

Stone's not really a goal scorer though, he's an all-around player with a great two way game. He's not a power forward either so there's no reason to think he'll break down. I guess it's possible he falls of the cliff before he turns 30, but I highly doubt it.

Draft and develop our team, while we’re waiting on prospects we should be signing middling UFA’s to hold the roster spots.

How does landing a big fish preclude you from drafting and developing?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Stauffer's talking to Elliot about the Oilers reacquiring Hall in Free Agency and Stauffer's saying "even sooner".

Then he said he'd give up 3-4 assets to get Hall.

I hate you Chia.

Larsson+?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Stauffer's talking to Elliot about the Oilers reacquiring Hall in Free Agency and Stauffer's saying "even sooner".

I hate you Chia.
Where is this idea coming from?

It's idiotic.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I hate you Chia.

Let's give up 3 to 4 assets for the player we traded away for Larsson with 1 year left on his deal before UFA. Sounds smart Stauffer lmao

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Let's give up 3 to 4 assets for the player we traded away for Larsson with 1 year left on his deal before UFA. Sounds smart Stauffer lmao
Really depends what those 3 or 4 assets are. That and if you can do it in the summer and lock up Hall it does make some sense. I'm just curious if Hall himself wants to come back here

How do you convince a guy to come back especially considering all the guys that talked to Peter about Hall are still here?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Where is this idea coming from?

It's idiotic.

Do people forget the **** that got said about Hall when he was traded? This fan base is toxic and I read multiple stories when he was traded that he was a “cancer” and they needed a culture change. They then went on to have there best season since 85 and the media shoved that story even further. Hall has come out and said when he’s a UFA he’s going to a top team, about a year ago in his spittin chiclets interview. There is no way in **** he would ever come back here willingly, he’s a prideful guy who’s name got stomped on when he left

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Do people forget the **** that got said about Hall when he was traded? This fan base is toxic and I read multiple stories when he was traded that he was a “cancer” and they needed a culture change. They then went on to have there best season since 85 and the media shoved that story even further. Hall has come out and said when he’s a UFA he’s going to a top team, about a year ago in his spittin chiclets interview. There is no way in **** he would ever come back here willingly, he’s a prideful guy who’s name got stomped on when he left
Stauffer coming out and saying that the decision to move Hall was made before PC came sure as hell doesn't help either. Especially with all those guys still here.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall will actually be a bit too old anyway by the time he's a UFA.

We missed the bus on the whole "window to compete early in Connor's career" by doing dumb crap.

Now we're kinda in a mini-retool (gulp rebuild) so adding a younger player with a high draft pick is probably more ideal for when we actually will be able to compete.

The appeal of having Hall would have been having him now at a nice 6 mill per number and having a good team like Toronto or Winnipeg now have today and being able to go for it now. They largely blew that window.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
2 line drivers on bad days and 3 on good days? Are we assembling a bubble team? We need more than that.

If you have McDavid on one line and Drai on another and give them even decent NHL talent, those are 2 solid NHL lines. What do you want, a driver on every line? That is unrealistic in a cap world. In theory we could have 3 solid lines if we could surround McDavid, Drai and RNH with solid NHL talent.

Agreed. That's the luxury of having elite talent, all you need is players with some semblance of skill to play off of them. Just look at the difference that a player like Gagner is making already, Maroon a couple of years ago, Chiasson for a while earlier this season and on the PP when he got moved to the top unit. They need somebody a bit better than those guys but they don't need another star up front.

IMO a RH guy with some size and a skill level around RNH would be ideal. Odds are that we'll have to draft said player.

Honestly I'll be surprised if we even get a 3rd. He's got 1 goal in the last ~20 games. And without the scoring he's been basically useless.

He's been getting his chances just not cashing in. If he doesn't return at least a 3rd then there's no point in dealing him.

I hate you Chia.

I've been a big Hall critic, but if we aren't gutting the team and he WANTS to be here and will re-sign I would have a hard time saying no. I just hope that he can stay healthier this time around if he comes back.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
What kind of package of 3-4 assets would realistically bring back Hall if he was willing to re-sign?

Larsson+1st+Pulju?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Even if he was completely willing to come back it makes absolutely no sense.

Team with no roster depth, no cap space and a limited supply of organizational depth. Oh, let's spend that prospect depth and that cap on one f***ing guy.

Whoever's floating this idea has completely missed the lesson that was learned from the failures of this franchise. Funny that it's a guy who's apparently been employed by them for entirety of that period.

Hall is gone. He's not coming back.

Last edited:

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
We should not give up any assets for Hall. Just terrible asset management. If he miraculously hits free agency, I would offer a contract but that should be the extent of our pursuit of him!

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
This is lunacy.
If there's any truth to it, there has to be more to the story. Something from Hall's side of the fence. I can't see them 'just' deciding to bring Hall back after everything that happened.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
As if Hall would sign with a bottom 5 team that has made the playoffs once in 13 years after only making the playoffs for the first time in his 9 year career last season

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Only way we bring Hall back is if its in UFA.

Or if they take a "package" of "assets" like: Larsson + Lucic + Puljujarvi + 1st heavily protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad