Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Three Offersheets to the Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Toronto told us Mcdavid wants to come home....McDavid commits and signs 8 years in Edmonton.
Marner who's a home town boy won't commit long term to Toronto,...LOL

Just a note Jagr signed for $11M per on a 7 year deal in 2001, so if Marner signed that deal his yearly earnings as a winger wouldn't be record breaking (also Jagr's deal was around before escrow was in place) and if you are just talking about the total contract value Ovechkin signed a $124M contract that was spread over 13 years. Having said that, it'd be pretty crazy if Marner turned down a deal like that, unless he starts winning Art Ross's that's got to be pretty close to the most he could make.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Side by side:

zgMsdLC.jpg

Ross-Atkins.jpg

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
My current semi realistic roster projection:

Burakovsky-McDavid-Draisaitl
Eriksson-RNH-Kapanen
Nygard-3C-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Gagner
Cave

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Lagesson/Jones/Benning/Persson/Bear/Bouchard

Koskinen
Backup

Not a dream offseason by any means but I could live with this.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
My current semi realistic roster projection:

Burakovsky-McDavid-Draisaitl
Eriksson-RNH-Kapanen
Nygard-3C-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Gagner
Cave

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Lagesson/Jones/Benning/Persson/Bear/Bouchard

Koskinen
Backup

Not a dream offseason by any means but I could live with this.

I don't want Eriksson.. :(
Trade for Sutter instead. Lol

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
If Chia goes to Vancouver they need Defense. I'm sure hes still high on Manning and maybe Russell. You know you want them. Do it Chia. Do it.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Read a suggestion on the main board of Ho-Sang + small add for Puju. That’s interesting, I know JHS has his issues but I would take a risk on him. High risk high reward.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Leafs are getting into their own heads.

Ultimately Marner is an RFA without arb rights. The only bargaining power he has is the hope some team is willing to offer sheet him.

If I'm the Leafs I tell Marner he's welcome to wait for an offer sheet that beats an offer the Leafs are willing to make. Better players than Marner have become RFAs. The offer sheet never comes.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Ultimately Marner is an RFA without arb rights. The only bargaining power he has is the hope some team is willing to offer sheet him.

If I'm the Leafs I tell Marner he's welcome to wait for an offer sheet that beats an offer the Leafs are willing to make. Better players than Marner have become RFAs. The offer sheet never comes.

No team has ever had a RFA worth that much with this little cap space.

Reactions: nturn06

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

I think the difference is no team has really ever been as f***ed as Toronto is right now cap wise. Draisaitl became an RFA but Edmonton had the cap space to sign him after trading Eberle. Shea Weber signed an offersheet but Nashville had no problem matching. If you sign Marner to something like 12M there's a trickle down effect there. If you're a team in that division/conference why wouldn't you sign Marner? You either get a star player or force the Leafs into a corner with some other top 6 players.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Read a suggestion on the main board of Ho-Sang + small add for Puju. That’s interesting, I know JHS has his issues but I would take a risk on him. High risk high reward.
More like high risk modest reward, unless the Isles trade him first to a bottom feeder, I'd hazard a guess that there is an 80% chance he gets put on waivers within the first two months of next season. We have 5 forwards who put up a higher points per game number than Ho-Sang in the AHL (two are just barely higher) and all 5 are more complete hockey players than Ho-Sang.

You want Ho-Sang dangle a 4th round pick not Puljujarvi.

Reactions: nturn06

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think the difference is no team has really ever been as ****ed as Toronto is right now cap wise. Draisaitl became an RFA but Edmonton had the cap space to sign him after trading Eberle. Shea Weber signed an offersheet but Nashville had no problem matching. If you sign Marner to something like 12M there's a trickle down effect there. If you're a team in that division/conference why wouldn't you sign Marner? You either get a star player or force the Leafs into a corner with some other top 6 players.

You don't do it because Marner isn't a $12M player.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Are the Isles even going to qualify Ho-Sang?

JP is a valuable asset that we own the rights to. Trading him for a waiver eligibile non-NHLer isn't the best use of that asset.

Reactions: nabob

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
In three years when guys like Hughes, Kakko, Pettersson, Dahlin have new contracts he absolutely will be worth that.

Nah, he won't. I would probably take Pettersson over him TODAY and he's a rookie. Can't count your chickens on Hughes and Kakko. Rantanen and Laine won't get 12M and might not even get 10M. The cap isn't super likely to get to a place where Marner is appropriately paid at 12M per in 5 years. It's a clear 2.5M or so bigger than he would get in another situation.

The real problem in Toronto is comparison with Matthews. Marner has outscored him in three straight seasons. They had to pay Matthews because he was the franchise and they didn't properly manage the narrative. So now Marner has the ability to say "I'm as good, I've outscored him, pay me that much".

Spawn isn't entirely wrong about Marner not having huge negotiation power, but he can hold out as long as Nylander did and that's a problem for a team that now has 5 bullets in the gun w/ Matthews' contract. And what are they going to save really? He's not going to come in at under 10M, even in late November.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Nah, he won't. I would probably take Pettersson over him TODAY and he's a rookie. Can't count your chickens on Hughes and Kakko. Rantanen and Laine won't get 12M and might not even get 10M. The cap isn't super likely to get to a place where Marner is appropriately paid at 12M per in 5 years. It's a clear 2.5M or so bigger than he would get in another situation.

The real problem in Toronto is comparison with Matthews. Marner has outscored him in three straight seasons. They had to pay Matthews because he was the franchise and they didn't properly manage the narrative. So now Marner has the ability to say "I'm as good, I've outscored him, pay me that much".

Spawn isn't entirely wrong about Marner not having huge negotiation power, but he can hold out as long as Nylander did and that's a problem for a team that now has 5 bullets in the gun w/ Matthews' contract. And what are they going to save really? He's not going to come in at under 10M, even in late November.
I think arguing whether Marner is worth 12M or not is irrelevant because you need to overpay RFA's to have a chance at them anyways. That number puts some thought into Dubas' mind about not matching. The bigger question would be is Marner worth 4 1st round picks? I think there are some teams who would do it. If you add a player like Marner you're assuming your team is not giving up high picks every year. Star players like Marner don't grow on trees. Nashville has never had a player like that up front for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad