Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: "The Squeeze"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Imagine being McDavid or Draisaitl. You see other teams picking up meaningful acquisitions with relative ease. Hell, even Calgary has made some big trades over the last 5 years. You wait and wait, but it's clear your shitty GM has no stones and is incapable of recognizing what the team needs.

They're gonna walk if this idiot isn't fired.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Man I said it was going to end up in a cold war type of situation where people are going to arm up early. You snooze until the deadline and all the good players will be gone already. Too many teams on the edge of a playoff spot. You cannot dither this year.
"Hold my Metamucil"

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I should also say. With Boston and NYR loading up like a couple of prize fighters (actually good for us in the West as only one will get to us), does it not make more sense to get players with term left?

Reactions: North

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I can't wait to see us trade a 1st + for Gravrikov. I swear people just make up what players have value in the league these days.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I should also say. With Boston and NYR loading up like a couple of prize fighters (actually good for us in the West as only one will get to us), does it not make more sense to get players with term left?

arizona-coyotes-jakob-chychrun.gif

Reactions: McBooya42

North

Jun 25, 2009

The thing is if we go for pure rentals we’re going to end up in the same position next year and end up spending more draft capital.

I don’t mind going after players with term.

I do question the wisdom of not having Chychrun on the list as one of the possible acquisitions.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If you've ever listened to his media avails and interviews the constant that I've taken away is that he values a consistent competitive roster.

Blowing your wad because there's a handful of teams diving into a rental market doesn't necessarily mean your team is going to come out ahead in the end.

I'll be thoroughly disappointed if we pass the trade deadline with no tangible improvements, but I'd prefer that we don't spend a year's with of draft capital on a couple players that plan to go elsewhere in two or three dozen games.

I agree. But I can also see why he's not jumping head first into that market.
You wouldn’t have paid this price for Orlov?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The east is going to be interesting to watch this playoffs. NYR/TO/Boston all loading up, Canes owner saying they will as well. It's gonna be a dog fight already, and I don't think you can count Tbay out as long as they have Vaselivsky in net either.

I know everyone is upset that Holland hasn't done anything, but I could totally understand his reluctance to go big on the trade market considering how flawed the Oiler's roster is this year in comparison to the teams that are rolling(collapsed depth on the right wing position, suspect goaltending, too many young defensemen and desperately needing a top pairing RD). Not that I think that's what is going on behind the scenes, but I guess we'll find out in a week or so.

craiger17

May 15, 2011
What about Batherson from the Sens. Contract is for four more years just under 5 million a year. Would be a nice addition to the right wing. He’s struggled a bit this year and they’ve moved him down lines. If they want Chychrun they could use assets acquired from moving Drake to use to trade for Chychrun. I’d assume they’d want to be mindful of the cap to try to resign/qualify Debrincat after how much they paid for him.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
The east is going to be interesting to watch this playoffs. NYR/TO/Boston all loading up, Canes owner saying they will as well. It's gonna be a dog fight already, and I don't think you can count Tbay out as long as they have Vaselivsky in net either.

I know everyone is upset that Holland hasn't done anything, but I could totally understand his reluctance to go big on the trade market considering how flawed the Oiler's roster is this year in comparison to the teams that are rolling(collapsed depth on the right wing position, suspect goaltending, too many young defensemen and desperately needing a top pairing RD). Not that I think that's what is going on behind the scenes, but I guess we'll find out in a week or so.
Trade for someone with term and fix a damn hole. There is a couple guys rumoured available I hear!

Edit: we do this damn dance every deadline the past few years. We are too flawed then we bank on internal progression and ufas who don’t move the needle as the main good ones rarely come here.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Alright, took time to think on it and, yeah, I am frustrated with Holland, but I will wiat until it is all over before getting piss

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Sorry for late response!

Yes you are right.
Barrie has many many shortcomings. And at his age they will always be there.

But he is an elite offensive defencemen who has been a major part of the most potent pp in the history of the league.

Bouchard will never be that.
Bouchard is outscoring Barrie at even strength badly over the past 2 seasons. As for the PP Barrie is great at it but Bouchard hasn't been given much minutes with McDrai there on PP1, give Bouchard PP1 and Barrie PP2 and I guarantee you Bouchard badly outscores Barrie.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wasn’t directing that at you. Just sort of an addition.

The only issue is Holland appears to want players with term and no team is going to retain for several years.
I don't believe that teams won't retain for multiple years. I have already pointed out that teams spend a lot on buyouts because it allows them to move forward. Minnesota spent as much to buyout Parise and Suter as it would cost SJ to retain $4M. And they did not get 3 firsts to do so. They did it because it was in their best interests. Why would SJ for example not view a 30% retention as being any different than a buyout if it allows you to achieve a goal.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Trade for someone with term and fix a damn hole. There is a couple guys rumoured available I hear!

Edit: we do this damn dance every deadline the past few years. We are too flawed then we bank on internal progression and ufas who don’t move the needle as the main good ones rarely come here.
The guys with term have been available for months and the interest is limited due to the fact that teams don't want to commit to salary beyond the year at this time of year. Almost every deal we've seen so far is rentals, just like every trade deadline.

I'd like to see Holland go out and get Karlsson too and solve one of the biggest issues on defense, but those types of things tend to happen in the offseason when SJ's owner is looking at payroll for the next season and realizes he doesn't want to be on the hook for another year at 10+ million in salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad