Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: "The Squeeze"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
It's a 5 team list.

Having Edmonton on it seems unlikely.
There's a history of Russian players avoiding Canadian markets, even more-so Canadian markets that aren't TOR/VAN/MTL.

Pointless to speculate regardless as it seems Holland wasn't even calling about him; which is the source of my discontent with this shitty GM.

Reactions: McDNicks17

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
They don't want him. He would be only a rental and also won't re-sign in Canada.
They have Chychrun aka a guy who's cost-controlled for another 2 years, but Ken Holland won't stubbornly look that way. Holland has no idea what he's doing.
If we’re going all in for this postseason why would a rental matter?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If Katz had any balls whatsoever…

“So, Ken, what is the plan to add at least one impact defenseman by the deadline?”

“Well Daryl, you see, money in… money out.. trades are…”

“No Ken. What is your plan?”

“Uh like a toilet seat… trades are hard… dollar…”

“Ken, that’s not a plan.”

Guaranteed The $5M Man would start sharpening up his CV after that, knowing the honeymoon period to skate by on his rep alone was over.

Must be nice to have an owner who actually wants to win too.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It's a 5 team list.

Having Edmonton on it seems unlikely.
5 teams he can’t be traded to: Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton.

Pretty easily 5. Of course this may not be his list but chances are it’s pretty close.

Reactions: T-Funk

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
So the reason the karlsson trade hasn’t happened is because he needs SJ to retain more. Or find a third team willing to take on some of the contract. He says it’s hard to do and his job is really really difficult. With todays Orlov trade, we’ve seen a third team being involved in trades twice in the past week. Is Holland that incompetent???

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Did Columbus just refuse to take Craig Smith and thus ended getting outmanoeuvred by Washington?

That could very well be the case. Taking pending UFAs is part of the cost of doing business at the deadline. If Columbus hasn’t figured that out, I don’t know who they’re trading Gavrikov to.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Prepare yourself for Gostisbehere.

That Ghost-Barrie second pairing is built for the playoffs.

I could handle:

Nurse-X
Ghost-Ceci
Kulak-Bouch/Barrie

But that requires Ken making a deal to actually address one of the team’s most glaring needs ON TOP of Ghost so it’s probably not happening this decade and/or before he is fired following a McDrai trade demand, whichever is sooner.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
With a rental Orlov returning a 1st and a 2nd +, not only is the asking price (A first + a first equivalent prospect or a 2nd 1st) for Chychrun completely fair. A smart team would jump on them before they realize that.

Reactions: Old Boys Club

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If you've ever listened to his media avails and interviews the constant that I've taken away is that he values a consistent competitive roster.

Blowing your wad because there's a handful of teams diving into a rental market doesn't necessarily mean your team is going to come out ahead in the end.

I'll be thoroughly disappointed if we pass the trade deadline with no tangible improvements, but I'd prefer that we don't spend a year's with of draft capital on a couple players that plan to go elsewhere in two or three dozen games.
I generally agree with this and I usually hate burning assets on rentals BUT this is a unique circumstance. The clock is ticking on the McDrai contracts, the west is right there to be had and the players with term are either too pricey or the trades too complicated because of contract so if it's the rental market they need to dip into to bring in an impact players, just give up the 1st and make a run. The 1st isn't likely to contribute in a meaningful way until well after the McDrai contracts expire, just look at top 10 picks like Broberg and Bouchard that are still not established 4-5 years in.

Reactions: McAsuno

North

Jun 25, 2009
So the reason the karlsson trade hasn’t happened is because he needs SJ to retain more. Or find a third team willing to take on some of the contract. He says it’s hard to do and his job is really really difficult. With todays Orlov trade, we’ve seen a third team being involved in trades twice in the past week. Is Holland that incompetent???

No third team is going to retain for several seasons.

Reactions: russ99

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Can't wait to hear the news of the rangers acquiring Kane.
But we'll just wait until the TDL since our GM lacks any proactiveness or aggressiveness in hammering a trade.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Man I said it was going to end up in a cold war type of situation where people are going to arm up early. You snooze until the deadline and all the good players will be gone already. Too many teams on the edge of a playoff spot. You cannot dither this year.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Man I said it was going to end up in a cold war type of situation where people are going to arm up early. You snooze until the deadline and all the good players will be gone already. Too many teams on the edge of a playoff spot. You cannot dither this year.
Not to mention this team also has 4 games coming up against the two teams (BOS/TOR) that loaded up.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

There’s quite a big difference between retaining a bit on a guy whose contract expires this year vs one that expires in another 4 seasons. The level of retention they’re looking for has never been done before

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Exactly.
That's why I would love for the team to acquire a player already. We're facing off super tough opponents next week before the TDL and that includes a bruin team that just loaded up. If Stauffer's indication of feeling like the players on the team are surely waiting for some help being added, then wtf is Ken Holland waiting for

Reactions: Echodek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad