Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Montoya?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I disagree with none of this(except maybe the part about our best pairing in 20 years, but that's off topic), as the second half of my post alludes to.

Klefbom - XXX
Sekera - XXX
Davidson - Who Cares

Klefbom - Subban
XXX - XXX
Davidson - Who Cares

If you can choose between the two you take the latter every time, just the point Spawn and I are making is that you still have to fill those holes.

However, I think really we are all arguing a point we agree on.

Klefbom-Subban
Trade/Davidson-Demers
Nurse-Trade
Thats a solid D core. And I think everyone is naive if they think Nurse is playing 1 second of time in the AHL next year. They didnt send him down in the worst of the season when he was at his worst. They are probably not sending him down to AHL next year barring a disaster camp. He is going to have a full offseason to bulk up, a full offseason to break down film and watch everything he did wrong, and a full offseason to get better. What well see at camp is not likely what we saw this year. Hell even in junior he started out super slow but then gradually got to an elite CHL D

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Assets going into the offseason

Eberle
Yak
RNH (maybe)
Poliout
2016 1st (could be extremely valueable, or still really good)
2017 1st, 2nd
2016 2nd
Jones
Bear
Paigin
cap space (big thing actually)

I think you could do damage with those assets. One Leddy trade, one big trade

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Subban's cap hit at $9M is an issue though. With McDavid and Leon's deals pending in two years budgeting any more than about $26M for the defense means you have issues up front. With Subban that leaves you with $17M to fill in 6 slots. Assuming Sekera was the guy traded rather than Klefbom, which I think is unlikely you now have $12.8M to fill out your bottom 4 and a spare. In a world where Jeff Petry costs $5.5M don't expect to do this by signing FA's.

My guess is that with less in the way of truly high end assets and about the same cap or less space you get Hamonic and one of Barrie or Vatanen. Barrie would be more expensive of course but no where near the cost of Subban, Still he would provide a similar offensive dynamic and Hamonic makes you much tougher defensively.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That and it's not like PC is so busy watching the Oilers in the playoffs right now.

Which makes me very, very curious as to why Chia and MacT were watching the Rebels-Wheat Kings game the other night.

I mean, who could they be watching? The Draft has to be priority #1, and there's really not much on either the Wheat Kings or the Rebels that's particularly interesting from a draft perspective.

From the Rebels, maybe Toth as a goalie pick? Nikolishin? Circling back on Papirny? Possibly Clague?

Or, maybe there's something else going on as an additional piece in a possible deal? John Quenneville (Devils property) maybe? Severson + Quenneville for an Oiler piece?

It just seems weird to me, most of the interesting players on the Wheat Kings and the Rebels are already the NHL property of another team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Which makes me very, very curious as to why Chia and MacT were watching the Rebels-Wheat Kings game the other night.

I mean, who could they be watching? The Draft has to be priority #1, and there's really not much on either the Wheat Kings or the Rebels that's particularly interesting from a draft perspective.

From the Rebels, maybe Toth as a goalie pick? Nikolishin? Circling back on Papirny? Possibly Clague?

Or, maybe there's something else going on as an additional piece in a possible deal? John Quenneville (Devils property) maybe? Severson + Quenneville for an Oiler piece?

It just seems weird to me, most of the interesting players on the Wheat Kings and the Rebels are already the NHL property of another team.

Nola Patrick. Getting ready for 2017 draft

ivanthebad*

Biggest thing in that post was getting a UFA D to replace him (Demers). And frankly Sekera really isnt that hard to replace to begin with

There was 124 D that played over 1000 mins, Sekera ranked 113th for ES points. Hell Davidson almost had as many in half the minutes. For an offensive D, Sekera really drops the ball. Sure hes a good puck mover and can defend well. But blue line down hes extremely ineffective

And we are also getting a legit #1 D, which is insanely massive. Risking Davidson not replacing Sekera (good chance he replaces him and then some) is like finding a tiny scratch on the bottom of a Lambo

Sekera is like only a handful of d. He can play the right or left side comfortably. He can PK and pp to some degree. He can rover on all lines and is usually the stronger of the pairings. Sekera was not brought in for points contrary to expectations. He was brought in to anchor the d and bring stability, and to be able to adjust in case of injury.. That's exactly what he has done. The minute the Oil fill their holes and needs on defense and play Sekera properly, his signing will start making a whole lot more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad