Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
The video of Berube calling out his players to the media.

Did he take any action or did he complain to the media and that was all?

I've seen that he will hold players accountable, I am curious how many games those guys sat.

Nylander as well...

Matthews leads (or is close to leading) our team in hits most playoffs for forwards.

Based on your comments here and in the other thread I see you've already started the boring contrarian stance. We get it, you've already appointed Berube a bad coach.

Why don't you try giving him a blank slate (cup and all) and give him the same amount of support you blindly gave Dubas and Keefe with zero NHL experience and ended up winning a total of one payoffs series? Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's not a very high bar to beat.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think they must have had an inkling that Brind'Amour would not leave Carolina (or simply just did not want to wait to see) and I know there were rumblings about Cooper. NJ, and other teams were also looking for head coaches so it makes sense to lock up the best known quality.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
4 Years is important. It tells the players, much like it was supposed to when they hired Babcock; that "he will be around longer than many of you therefore you play the right way".

This team needs a makeover so Brads efforts will be the most monumental some of these players are too scarred, perhaps shellshocked is the right word and they need a new home. He will bring a bit of fire behind the bench but you need the right personnel who share the intensity.

As I said, coaches are responsible for 10-15% of the outcome, you need the right DNA in the lineup or it means little. You can put an Indy 500 champion behind the wheel but it doesn't mean anything if he is driving a Gremlin against a Porsche

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Based on your comments here and in the other thread I see you've already started the boring contrarian stance. We get it, you've already appointed Berube a bad coach.

Why don't you try giving him a blank slate (cup and all) and give him the same amount of support you blindly gave Dubas and Keefe with zero NHL experience and ended up winning a total of one payoffs series? Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's not a very high bar to beat.

You can answer questions or if you don't know, you can ignore me, it is pretty simple.

This post added nothing, thanks.

I've seen people say he will hold players accountable, I am just asking for an example because I don't know if he has.

I am hoping for the best with him, I have no expectations, and I'll judge him after the season, but I am curious why people like the hire so much, nothing sticks out to me as great with him.

Who is your home run coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs?

None were available.

I also think most coaches are overrated and just warm bodies.

I think there are truly only a handful of great coaches.

This is why I said he was fine.

Reactions: ruaware41

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He is the leafs version of rick tochett
Fantastic choice, Hard ass coach with respect, demands respect, work ethic, great strategist.
This is the best and biggest move the leafs could have done
Happy for you guys
Our JT miller is either hurt (matthews) or marner.... no leader who is an elite player who the team can rally around at tough times

Reactions: ruaware41

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He went to and from Toronto in a couple of big deals during his playing days. Let's hope that he can be a big deal for Toronto from behind the bench this time.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
You can answer questions or if you don't know, you can ignore me, it is pretty simple.

This post added nothing, thanks.

I've seen people say he will hold players accountable, I am just asking for an example because I don't know if he has.

I am hoping for the best with him, I have no expectations, and I'll judge him after the season, but I am curious why people like the hire so much, nothing sticks out to me as great with him.

None were available.

I also think most coaches are overrated and just warm bodies.

I think there are truly only a handful of great coaches.

This is why I said he was fine.

Sums up the vast majority of your posts.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
The video of Berube calling out his players to the media.

Did he take any action or did he complain to the media and that was all?

I've seen that he will hold players accountable, I am curious how many games those guys sat.

Nylander as well...

Matthews leads (or is close to leading) our team in hits most playoffs for forwards.
Wrong for Nylander. He's...inconsistent. When he decides to initiate contact, he gets his licks in. He just doesn't do it all the time. I wish he would but I can live with it during the regular season. He's always stepped up in the PO's.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
From an X O standpoint... Berube and Keefe have run some similar systems. D zone is compact low or 5 tight.. They then try to get something to the weakside with possession to break out. Both stubbornly not using enough lobs or bypasses to mix things up from time to time.

Man to man up high although Keefe made it more of a hybrid in the playoffs to get more solid and reduce the spaces in the zone. (Keefe should be acknowledged for how well the Leafs D zone play was at playoff time).

Berube likes a 1 and a half forecheck, so certainly not passive like a Todd Mclellan would be looking for. Requires speed, smarts and effort. Quickly taking turnovers to the net.. Keefe was mainly set on possession in which suited what our players "like"... less emphasis on forecheck pressure. If we did forecheck it was initially a deep 1-2-2 and then forwards would swarm if we got a sniff of the puck.

The work done with Culture and the special teams will be the most important things he does.

The GM needs to get a goaltender and a d man that can shoot on the PP.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Wrong for Nylander. He's...inconsistent. When he decides to initiate contact, he gets his licks in. He just doesn't do it all the time. I wish he would but I can live with it during the regular season. He's always stepped up in the PO's.

Nylander has not always stepped it up... he was the whipping boy before Marner.

He's shied away from contact plenty.

He has been better in recent years, but he definitely doesn't always take contact to make a play.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Meh

Another flavor.....if he fails ....then what?

I dont see much of a upgrade other than the growl he has. TO makes people like that heros's here and they never won anything.

I hope he has better assistants

Tre record hiring coaches isnt great......should we be worried?
You'll be worried no matter what. You'll be fine.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
From an X O standpoint... Berube and Keefe have run some similar systems. D zone is compact low or 5 tight.. They then try to get something to the weakside with possession to break out. Both stubbornly not using enough lobs or bypasses to mix things up from time to time.

Man to man up high although Keefe made it more of a hybrid in the playoffs to get more solid and reduce the spaces in the zone. (Keefe should be acknowledged for how well the Leafs D zone play was at playoff time).

Berube likes a 1 and a half forecheck, so certainly not passive like a Todd Mclellan would be looking for. Requires speed, smarts and effort. Quickly taking turnovers to the net.. Keefe was mainly set on possession in which suited what our players "like"... less emphasis on forecheck pressure. If we did forecheck it was initially a deep 1-2-2 and then forwards would swarm if we got a sniff of the puck.

The work done with Culture and the special teams will be the most important things he does.

The GM needs to get a goaltender and a d man that can shoot on the PP.

We don't have a fast team and most of the free agents had low hockey IQ last year, it doesn't seem to be as valued with our management team... so if his forechecking system requires that, we will need to change it or Tre will have to address the issues there.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Marner shitting himself now. He'll be waiving that NMC in no time now.

The dude holds people accountable and he won't put up with his chicken shit play.
1715983169702.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad