Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That still leaves us with a shite RD...
We need a partner for Morrissey, not a replacement.

Yeah but having a clear #1, which IMO Werenski is.

Werenski - Pionk
Morrissey - DeMelo
Samberg - Heinola
Poolman

That's a pretty loaded left side. But it's a far better D then we have now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
On the lower side of the scale, what would you think of bringing back Nic Petan this season? We didn't have a particularly effective PP, and on a 2nd unit he could add quite a few points, more than a player like Perreault conceivably, at a fraction of the cost. He was developed with several of our current roster players, and wouldn't hurt us at all as a 13th forward. He was always one of the most exciting players to watch in the skills competition. I think his getting moved had a lot to do with the timing of unfortunate events in his life. But as a low risk, couldn't hurt the team? Hell maybe he's our 2c:D.

Petan has found out the grass isn't greener in Toronto. Maybe we could help find his game again, because he was a very exciting prospect for us.

I've been a Petan booster since his junior days, and he was a big part of the best bottom 6/4th line we've ever had, but IMO there's no way he comes back here to sit on the bench/in the PB, and that's all he'd do here because there's no way PoMo plays him.

He stays in TO where he likely gets some regular games this year, and makes his nest egg.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
And we still had a checking 3rd line and a 5 minute 4th line. I didn't say our bottom 6 was weak. I don't think it needed to be weak last year. I don't think it needs to be weak next year. But we will have that checking 3rd line and a 5 minute 4th line.

Apart from when Hendricks got in due to injury, no forward averaged less than 10:20 ice time per game. Only Scheifele at 21:21 and Wheeler at 20:20 were over 18 mins. It was an incredibly deep, balanced forward group

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
One of the things my buddy told me is that all the teams are going to be using there NHL teams as write offs for other parts of there business. It isn't as doom and gloom yet. But I think the season after this one it will start to get dicey for them
I remember when the ownership group of the thrashers only valued them because the losses they were incurring helped offset the taxes they were paying in other areas of their business. Basically the team made them more money in the big picture because it lost money.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Werenski - Pionk
Morrissey - DeMelo
Samberg - Heinola
Poolman

That still leaves us with a shite RD...
We need a partner for Morrissey, not a replacement.
I’d rather use Heinola as a trade piece to get Morrissey a partner

we used to have a Right Side that was loaded comparatively to the Left. TBL left side is Hedman-Sergachev-Mcdonagh vs Rutta-Cernak-Shatty, clear gap in talent. I don't think you'll ever get equally talented sides + a strong top 6 fwd group...unless you're maybe Carolina :laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd be seriously tempted to give Werenski a shot and move Heinola over to the right side.
then include Samberg in the deal? Think he's closer to making an NHL impact to Heinola. CBJ gets a LD they can play today, vs maybe a year from now in Heinola. Wasn't aware Heinola can play both

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the Leafs ever get to the point where they are so bad that there is a massive financial fallout suffering. The majority of the league is likely done. They are kind of like the barometer. If they fail, we likely failed well before them. We have rich as hell owners but they will only bail out this team for so long before they will just cut their loses and move on.

Yes, and that applies to every team in the league.

In order to continue to pay operating expenses teams need to borrow if they don't have the cash flow. That usually means banks or lending institutions of one kind or another. Banks want certainty and there is a clear lack of that right now. They can also borrow from owners. Yes, I said borrow. But the owners don't have millions in cash laying around. They have their money invested. So it means either selling other assets or using those other assets as collateral. Owners would do that if necessary, but reluctantly. Finally, if borrowing money becomes too difficult, the owners are faced with the decision to underwrite the losses. This would be done up to a point in order to protect their investments in the teams. If it gets to this point, they would be looking at selling, at low prices if necessary.

Sorry if this is getting pedantic. I didn't intend it that way. My point is, 1) when the cash flow isn't there, the business needs to borrow, and 2) rich owners don't necessarily hand out "Get Out of Jail Free" cards.

I'm not predicting it, but the league could go under. Some sports leagues around the world almost certainly will. Gate driven leagues, like the NHL, will be most vulnerable.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Little's line average 13 5v5 minutes in the playoffs. Lowry's line was averaging a little under 12 5v5 minutes. So we really rolled them pretty evenly. That is pretty far from 5 minutes. And that 3rd checking line was more like a 4th shutdown line.

OK, fair enough.

It took a very impressive top 12 F to get Maurice to finally roll 4 lines. We still have 12 pretty good forwards but look at the losses from that group. Stastny, Little, Armia, Tanev. I don't think we should need to be that strong or that deep to roll 4 lines.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
then include Samberg in the deal? Think he's closer to making an NHL impact to Heinola. CBJ gets a LD they can play today, vs maybe a year from now in Heinola. Wasn't aware Heinola can play both
Samberg is one of the last pieces on the Jets I'd trade. He's starting his ELC, and the Jets desperately require a big shut-down D.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Apart from when Hendricks got in due to injury, no forward averaged less than 10:20 ice time per game. Only Scheifele at 21:21 and Wheeler at 20:20 were over 18 mins. It was an incredibly deep, balanced forward group

And it took incredibly deep, balanced and strong to finally get Maurice to role 4 lines.

But, yes he did. Finally.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB

Werenski - Pionk
Morrissey - DeMelo
Samberg - Heinola
Poolman

Think I’d flip it as:

Werenski-DeMelo
Morrissey-Heinola
Samberg-Pionk

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Samberg is one of the last pieces on the Jets I'd trade. He's starting his ELC, and the Jets desperately require a big shut-down D.
if you have to give up either samberg or heinola (along w/ Laine) to get werenski+bjorkstrand+foudy i think id do it. weresnki-morrissey would handle your left side for the next 5+ years, and you still have the other prospect (heinola/samberg) in the wings. Don't think Laine would return all 3, i am wary evern returns Werenski+Bjorkstrand on his own.

The Jets also desperately need young top 6 Cs potential. foudy is closer to be an impact NHL player than anyone we draft at 10 most likely

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes, and that applies to every team in the league.

In order to continue to pay operating expenses teams need to borrow if they don't have the cash flow. That usually means banks or lending institutions of one kind or another. Banks want certainty and there is a clear lack of that right now. They can also borrow from owners. Yes, I said borrow. But the owners don't have millions in cash laying around. They have their money invested. So it means either selling other assets or using those other assets as collateral. Owners would do that if necessary, but reluctantly. Finally, if borrowing money becomes too difficult, the owners are faced with the decision to underwrite the losses. This would be done up to a point in order to protect their investments in the teams. If it gets to this point, they would be looking at selling, at low prices if necessary.

Sorry if this is getting pedantic. I didn't intend it that way. My point is, 1) when the cash flow isn't there, the business needs to borrow, and 2) rich owners don't necessarily hand out "Get Out of Jail Free" cards.

I'm not predicting it, but the league could go under. Some sports leagues around the world almost certainly will. Gate driven leagues, like the NHL, will be most vulnerable.

They'll just start letting people in. Money eventually trumps all, including human life. We see it time and time again.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
OK, fair enough.

It took a very impressive top 12 F to get Maurice to finally roll 4 lines. We still have 12 pretty good forwards but look at the losses from that group. Stastny, Little, Armia, Tanev. I don't think we should need to be that strong or that deep to roll 4 lines.

They still need to be good in order for them not to get caved at least if you want to win games.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Think I’d flip it as:

Werenski-DeMelo
Morrissey-Heinola
Samberg-Pionk

Works similar. Though I'd prefer to keep Morrrissey and Heinola away from each other. The main goal I'd want to get is a more defensive type with a puck mover.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
if you have to give up either samberg or heinola (along w/ Laine) to get werenski+bjorkstrand+foudy i think id do it. weresnki-morrissey would handle your left side for the next 5+ years, and you still have the other prospect (heinola/samberg) in the wings. Don't think Laine would return all 3, i am wary evern returns Werenski+Bjorkstrand on his own.

The Jets also desperately need young top 6 Cs potential. foudy is closer to be an impact NHL player than anyone we draft at 10 most likely

I think it's more likely Laine returns just Werenski. But that entirely depends on how much CBJ wants him.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If Laine cant get you Werenski plus Foudy plus hopefully a 1st.. Keep him then and explore other options. Im not moving Heinola or Samberg.. I'd prob do Roslovic but no to the Young D.

i don't do that Columbus deal tho. Don't like it. Not enough coming back imo.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If Laine cant get you Werenski plus Foudy plus hopefully a 1st.. Keep him then and explore other options. Im not moving Heinola or Samberg.. I'd prob do Roslovic but no to the Young D.

Yeah unlikely you get anything more than just Werenski. It would be a 1 for 1.

That's the trouble when you start talking about high calibre guys. You're better off doing a 1 for 1 if you want full value. Otherwise you just go in circles trying to add and subtract to get the value right and nothing ever gets done. Eric Lindros is the only player I ever remember returning a massive package. And the player he was at the time was considered a generational 6'5 beast of a human who could do it all, hit, fight, score, stickhandle, playmake. There really wasn't anyone like him at the time and really since.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I doubt the Jets will move any of there stud D men. They have a lot of value with those ELC contracts and I believe both of them can and will play in the NHL soon

Yeah non-starter for me in any deal really. Those ELC's will be to valuable if we want to compete.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Top pairing D for a uni-dimensional Winger. I'd have a tough time moving Morrissey for a player like Connor or Laine, i think. Even considering that, i think Werenski is a superior player to Morrissey, so even tougher...... Especially with Wing being one of the easiest position to fulfill via UFA. if you have Morrissey-Werenski you really do not need both Samberg+Heinola as the former 2 would be occupying your top 4 LD for years to come. Would rather do a prospect/ELC/young player swap with one of them for a C, like Foudy. Trade a strength for a glaring weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad