Rumor: Rumour and Proposal Thread: Now the fun begins

Which starter would you want next season?

• Mike Smith

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Darcy Kuemper

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • Ville Husso

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Jack Campbell

Votes: 43 18.6%
  • John Gibson

Votes: 87 37.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You may need some reading comprehension classes if you think the phrase, "Edmonton is not an undesirable place to play." is the exact opposite of, "All Americans hate it here."

I'm pretty sure Yamo likes it here and plans on re-signing. I gather that quick fact will lead you to now move the goal posts on your bolded statement.
Lots of Americans have enjoyed playing in Edmonton. American or not, it also tends to be a city that young players enjoy a lot and tend to want to stay. It is the older players, particularly those with wives and families that tend to want to go to the warm places where there is more of a "rich and famous" life-style potential.

A guy like Hyman for example just does not seem to fit that mold despite his background. He's not American of course, but he comes from money and has lived in a much bigger city. You could have expected him to look at California or Florida. But he seemed focused on Edmonton because the hockey related opportunity and atmosphere is so good.

It would be harder to do in hockey and in Edmonton, but the Blue Jays have shown that providing the right environment can overcome some of the natural barriers. McDavid and Draisaitl are significant draws.

Reactions: oilers'72

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You may need some reading comprehension classes if you think the phrase, "Edmonton is not an undesirable place to play." is the exact opposite of, "All Americans hate it here."

I'm pretty sure Yamo likes it here and plans on re-signing. I gather that quick fact will lead you to now move the goal posts on your bolded statement.
And I replied it was. Again how many Americans want to come here? Hpw many Russian ? I guarantee you that most player with NTC do not want to come to Edmonton. I also never once said all American hate it . I said it was from American and I stand by that. Again you disagree. Please provide a list of all American players with NTC that doesn't have Edmonton on their list of No Trades to. Using Yamamoto as an example doesn't prove what I said as being wrong Yamamoto was drafted by us

Last the bold part I never said "All Americans" I said for Americans, Again please provide proof for your argument. If I am wrong I don't mind admitting it. If someone said soccer is the best sport and I said not for Canadians and doesn't mean every Canadian but most. You might need those classes for yourself

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Puljujärvi was given those opportunities. Earlier in the season, he and Hyman were rotated-out as the net-front guy on PP1.

What I found interesting, is that after the coaching change, we never saw him on even the second unit, let alone out there with the top guys again. Of course the Kane addition played into that situation, but I can’t help but wonder if Jay sees Jesse differently than Tippet did.
The thing is Puljujarvi's PP stats during his time in the Oilers have always been better than the PP time he gets. I'm not talking about possible reasons for his minimal PP time, but I think some teams look at Pulju's stats and think that if this guy keeps his PP production with more PP time he can help our team in that regard.

Reactions: Zenos and oilers'72

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
What’s the consensus on keeping or dealing Foegele? Despite his lack lustre playoffs. I’d keep him. It’s unfortunate Cap is a bit high. But until the additions of Ryan and Foegele, we were still starved for any effective bottom 6ers. I say he needs another year and a complete offseason working on his weaknesses which should be apparent to him by now (his hands).
IMO Foegele's weakness is entirelly his strength/balance he was getting shoved off of pucks way too easily for a man his size, any strong shove into his upper chest and he was sent sprawling on the ice.

I think Andy O'Brien could fix him (Crosby & MacKInnon's trainer) he puts a strong emphasis on core strength & balance work, his clients are generally known for being able to absorb contact and pivot out of it. There are a lot of little things that are underwhelming or need work in Foegele's game, but I believe he could just hang in the dirty areas for that extra second to 2 it would make a world of difference in his ability to make plays and push his possession numbers up to generate more offense.

My default response is to dump Foegele and move on, but he's not so far removed from the line of being a good player that I couldn't be convinced to stick it out with him, but to do that I would of needed to hear his exit interview and get an idea of his mentality, how he thought his season went, and how committed he is to bettering himself. If he really came in unhappy about how his year went and had a burning passion to do better, I'd ride it out with him, if on the other hand he came in just complaining about not getting enough opportunity with the big names or PP time, I'd be looking to drop him & his cap-hit.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
And I replied it was. Again how many Americans want to come here? Hpw many Russian ? I guarantee you that most player with NTC do not want to come to Edmonton. I also never once said all American hate it . I said it was from American and I stand by that. Again you disagree. Please provide a list of all American players with NTC that doesn't have Edmonton on their list of No Trades to. Using Yamamoto as an example doesn't prove what I said as being wrong Yamamoto was drafted by us

Last the bold part I never said "All Americans" I said for Americans, Again please provide proof for your argument. If I am wrong I don't mind admitting it. If someone said soccer is the best sport and I said not for Canadians and doesn't mean every Canadian but most. You might need those classes for yourself
You posted,

"But hey please name the last American born player that signed here."

I replied Yamo.

As predicted, you then moved the goalposts.

Continue on.

Reactions: oilers'72

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Personally I'd love to see something like this for next year. I made this up as my dream team, and yes we would have to let go of a decent amount of assets to hypothetically make this happen. We'll see what GMKH can actually deliver on.

Kane - McDavid - Brown
DeBrusk - Drai - Yamo
Holloway - RNH - Hyman
Ryan - McLeod - Geekie

Nurse - Ceci
Chychrun - Bouchard
Broberg - Pysyk

Husso
Skinner

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Impress us. Provide a list of American players, or any players for that matter, that have no trade clauses which exclude Edmonton from being a trade destination.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You posted,

"But hey please name the last American born player that signed here."

I replied Yamo.

As predicted, you then moved the goalposts.

Continue on.
Yamamoto was drafted a big difference. No goal post are being move I repeatedly sign American players with NTC, As someone mention above Ryan. I also never posted all Americans. I said For American it is . Which I stand by. As I said prove me wrong? List the Americans that have NTCs that don't have Edmonton are their list? If you aren't going to list them I will not continue to debate this. Heck even some Canadians don't want to sign here.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Without touching the other aspects of this, did you miss Yesterday where it was confirmed Smith is done? LTIR all year.
I will definitely plead ignorance on that one. Where was it discussed? In a media availability with either Smith or Holland?

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Good one but again Edmonton isn't a desirable destination for American. We seen time and time again players saying they wouldn't waive for Edmonton.

He also change my posting from for Americans to All Americans and arguing about Yamamoto whom we drafted so not a good argument
We don't hear about the players who waive for Edmonton but whose deals fall through. Or the players without NTC that are happy to come here, how would we hear about them?

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Yamamoto was drafted a big difference. No goal post are being move I repeatedly sign American players with NTC, As someone mention above Ryan. I also never posted all Americans. I said For American it is . Which I stand by. As I said prove me wrong? List the Americans that have NTCs that don't have Edmonton are their list? If you aren't going to list them I will not continue to debate this. Heck even some Canadians don't want to sign here.
Blake coleman was a sought after FA that signed in Calgary. What's the difference? Not much.

Players will come North if the money is right and the team is competitive.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Blake coleman was a sought after FA that signed in Calgary. What's the difference? Not much.

Players will come North if the money is right and the team is competitive.
True enough but he is also really overpaid. Maybe I should have said most American born players. If I was an NHL player I would prefer Edmonton over any American city. Too much crime in those big city. I also don't buy there more to do in bigger cities. Having said that if I was drafted by an US team and married a women from the locate area and had kids I probably wouldn't waive for a Canadian city. Got to keep you family happy.

I still maintain Edmonton isn't a desirable market for many players . MAF wouldn't come here if the reports are true, wasn't there also a report Geo wouldn't come here and Varlamov is another one. I am sure it was mention before that Gibson would not come to Canada. I also read player with NTC/NMC that submit the list of team that they would accept a trade to doesn't have Edmonton on those lists. Insiders also posts a lot of crap that is opinion based rather then factual information so who really knows.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
View attachment 564053

You can stick a fork in the Keith buyout/sign option.

sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-examining-erik-karlsson-trade-fallout/
Not really. It just points out that you aren't allowed to do what Washington did just to save cap space. You have to be able to show that you were comfortable with walking from the player. Imo we easily could if we play it right. In other words trade him and have him bought out early on, as soon as the buyout window opens in July, and we don't even start the process of signing him until partway into training camp. Both sides have to say the right things.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Good one but again Edmonton isn't a desirable destination for American. We seen time and time again players saying they wouldn't waive for Edmonton.

He also change my posting from for Americans to All Americans and arguing about Yamamoto whom we drafted so not a good argument
Not sure Derek Ryan really qualifies as he went to UofA for 4 years then off to Europe to play then Carolina then traded to Calgary. Yeah he signed with Edmonton but probably didn't have a lot of suitors either.

All Americans don't want to play in Edmonton. I'm sure of it. ;)

Oilers, as I've said for years are on the bottom of most players lists to play and on many NTLists. Now that we are starting to win hopefully that changes. We always seem to pay the Edmonton price for UFA and even RFAs.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He can request a trade or refuse to sign.

Many players have done that.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Eric Tulsky, Carolina’s AGM. To quote his bio:

“A Philadelphia native, Tulsky holds a B.A. in chemistry and physics from Harvard University and a Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of California, Berkeley. He also conducted a two-year post-doctoral study at the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, DC. He worked in high-tech industry for 12 years, managing teams of researchers focused on using nanotechnology to solve problems in DNA sequencing, solar energy, displays, and energy storage; he holds 19 US patents.”

Word has it he has been and continues to be considered for GM jobs. But totally we should hire the guy whose sole qualification is blabbing on TV.
I just saw this post. Funny enough I was at a conference recently and listened to a young professor of chemistry who was modeling complex chemical reactions. We had lunch afterwards and he has many ideas for data modeling and prediction beyond his core research. Overall I found his modeling efforts are far beyond what many in the field, to including Tulsky, has published/patented.

I imagine the question remains for many organizations - how would you lure someone like that out of tenured position for a more volatile career, like hockey management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad