Rumor: Rumour and Proposal Thread: Now the fun begins

Which starter would you want next season?

• Mike Smith

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Darcy Kuemper

Votes: 24 10.4%
  • Ville Husso

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Jack Campbell

Votes: 43 18.6%
  • John Gibson

Votes: 87 37.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hope Pulju and Yams are notice how far Boeser’s number is under his QO and its okay to sign below the QO as it’s probably the right thing to do if you realize your truth worth to the team and want to help build a winner. The QO is just some arbitrary calculation after all.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This isn't a team with plenty of cap to pass around though. If you prioritize cap in the top six, your improvements go in the top six. Other parts of the roster will suffer as they have historically.

And regardless of pedigree, these are players making $3m+ that are very close to either making more or making UFA. That isn't valuable to a team that needs to improve defensively and in goal.

It's kind of ridiculous that this is the player I'm arguing against because three years ago this is the exact player I wanted the Oilers to target for their top six. But people were dead set on bring back Taylor Hall.

Some things never change though. The focus is still on the top six for some reason.

RNH will not carry a third line. He needs support. And he wouldn't be getting that if Yamamoto, Zacha and Hyman were all in the top six and Kassian and Foegele were being moved to free up cap.

The Oilers need to focus their attention on adding defensively responsible players in their bottom six and focus on limiting the amount of goals the team gives up when the scorers aren't on the ice.

They need to do this because there isn't enough depth in Edmonton's roster to run a 'top 9' scoring system. And more obviously is there isn't enough cap flexibility to fill the forward roster if they hope to have a reliable starter for all 82 games and three pairings of NHL calibre defensemen.

I'm ready to flip Puljujarvi because he's never proven that he can generate offense without the push. And we've seen exactly what happens when the offense doesn't happen for him.

The team is obviously not at a finished state as it moves into a hopeful winning window phase. I thought next year might be when this team was ready/deeper enough to play three rounds of playoff hockey. Still lots of holes but I think the three centre spine can still work. Though budget wise clearly would have to clear out overpaid role players (Kassian, Foegele) and redundancies (Barrie). Finding cheap bottom line high motor, defensive responsible guy(s) should be fairly easy with player types like Curtis Lazar. Ryan, Shore and Malone might be adequate. Woodcroft with his AHL experience might have insight into prospective value types he would like.

A benefit of three centre spine roll out is to spread out the attack but also manage minutes of McDavid and Draisaitl for peak performance. A line roll out could look like Hyman, McDavid, Yamamoto; Zacha, Draisaitl, X (value guy); Nugent Hopkins, McLeod, Holloway. Nugent Hopkins is used to getting dregs for line mates in past years when this team was stretched running the McDavid/Draisaitl stack. He would have two developing size and speed wingers all with strong two-way games. Fourth line rolling with cheap, defensive high motor guys, Ryan, Shore, guy like Lazar.

Key defense scenario is to (reluctantly) move out a redundant Barrie for a long, defensive d-man like Carson Soucy while shaving off salary to be distributed elsewhere. Key signings become a goaltender and ideally Kulak. Not a perfect lineup but moving to a deep, diverse forward group with an evolving defense that is beginning to add length with players like Broberg, Niemelainan, Samaroukov closing in on NHL ready.

All said, nice to see an Evander Kane sighting in Edmonton. And the Puljujarvi situation is far from settled (though I kinda think he's gonna move).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What’s the consensus on keeping or dealing Foegele? Despite his lack lustre playoffs. I’d keep him. It’s unfortunate Cap is a bit high. But until the additions of Ryan and Foegele, we were still starved for any effective bottom 6ers. I say he needs another year and a complete offseason working on his weaknesses which should be apparent to him by now (his hands).

Reactions: vaniitio

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Other than Nurse and Drai was there any talk of other players injured in the playoffs?

I'm thinking maybe Foegle was hurt. He looked pretty good when we got him then lapsed then got hot again then played ok. When the playoffs started he played I think 1 game then was out for a bunch.
I thought I read or heard JP had a bad shoulder. Not sure if that’s correct or not.

Reactions: oilers'72

The Cheez

Aug 14, 2015
What’s the consensus on keeping or dealing Foegele? Despite his lack lustre playoffs. I’d keep him. It’s unfortunate Cap is a bit high. But until the additions of Ryan and Foegele, we were still starved for any effective bottom 6ers. I say he needs another year and a complete offseason working on his weaknesses which should be apparent to him by now (his hands).
I'd give him another year

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Looks pretty difficult to find a reliable starter, nevermind at a reasonable price point. In that case, they need to revamp the D core a bit to mitigate the poor coverages and inability to box out by some of the guys now (Barrie and Bouchard in particular). Wonder where Barrie will end up and what we will bring in -- I don't have much faith in Broberg honestly, and prefer Niemelainen's simple, hard hitting style for that element it brings to this core.

Puljujarvi.. still a messy situation now. I said early on after the run ended that I thought he would be moved on, but if the situation or return is not ideal then what is the use in trading him for pennies on the dollar? Holland does not inspire confidence in trades. I still don't believe Jesse has it in him to produce more than 20-20 in a season, but he is rather responsible defensively 5 on 5. Doesn't put himself in good spots offensively as an outlet and I can see why it gets frustrating for linemates. Also wasn't skating the same the latter half of the season (back to a deer on skates). I dunno... you see the potential but you have to wonder if he'll ever hit it, if he hasn't learnt already playing with two of the top players in the world as his centres. Part of the problem seems to be he sees himself one way, which likely differs from what management sees.. but then doesn't seem to focus on puck skills and the technical aspects he really needs to work on in the off-season?

No word on Keith I guess, huh.. was hoping against hope he'd call it and walk away. At least Smith sounds like he will go on LTIR and we get the cap relief to go along with it. Preparing for a disastrous draft + FA season where dear ol' gramps Holland gets schooled and we end up with some garbage return. That Anderson scenario where we end up giving up the 1st AND f***ing Bourgault is a nightmare. Not even Holland is *that* stupid... right guys? Guys..

Reactions: Biltmore

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Why am I getting the feeling Holland is going to find a way to make this team worse than last year as soon as we get into a position to become potential cup champions? :rolleyes:

All he needs to do is get a proven goalie, clear cap space to sign Kane, and aquire a top 4 defenseman. I don't think he's the GM for that job. Those Anderson rumors make me queasy.

I don’t trust him and was highly questionable about his signings last summer especially Ceci, Smith but for some reason they panned out. So I guess we’ll hope for the best again

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Kane still being here is a great sign. I mean I seriously doubt he flew in for the Brick tournament. At the very least him and his family enjoy the city enough not to immediately fly out of town once the season is over. It's nice to see guys stay in town as a fan.

I also think him having a new kid is also a huge reason why. Probably doesn’t want to be flying around too much with a newborn

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

McDavid's gotta show Foegele some tricks this summer.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 00-39-59 31 Thoughts Examining Erik Karlsson trade fallout - Sportsne...png

You can stick a fork in the Keith buyout/sign option.

sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-examining-erik-karlsson-trade-fallout/

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
View attachment 564053

Calgary was allowed to not only sign Michael Stone after a buyout, but sign him after buying him out themselves with no intermediary involved.

Now, do I expect the same courtesy from Bettman? Not a chance in hell, but at least the precedent exists.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I think if Puljujarvi mimics Nurse and does a double-bridge deal on his Offer Sheet 1 year 1.4 - 1.8 million
I think you take that all day.
That's probably the only way we will be able to keep him.

He can solidify he belongs to the core and get a nice pay raise next year.

It's kinda the choice of

Taking a pay cut to play for the team you want short term

Or

Get the bag now but play for a team that wasn't top 4 this playoffs.

We can win a championship with Puljujarvi on this team.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
View attachment 564053

If Washington got away with it, there's obviously no rule in the CBA. The NHL can and should get f***ed if we do it. How can they allow one team to do it and not another? Stop being lazy and incompetent, change the rules or f*** off.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Is the league out to #### block us from exploring any interesting avenues we had with the Keith contract? Or is it only the media that's gaslighting us fans into thinking so.

Sports media hates this market with a passion and treats the fans like garbage, even our own local media is determined to make you feel like a lump of crap when it comes to being a fan of this hockey organization. No feel good stories for the leagues #1 bunch of suckers.

The Edmonton Oilers are being targeting by a bunch of goofy ass #### #######. How is this team going to improve? I don't think we're supposed to by league mandate.

1656748253772.jpeg

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Pulju is an inteteresting case. You swap his and e.g. Nuge's PP time and we have a still youngish player who scores 23 goals per full season, is solid defensively and makes statistically his linemates better.

Now the big question is will he ever get more PP time in the Oilers? If not I'm sure some GMs out there believe Puljujarvi could keep his PP production rate with more minutes. In that case the Oilers should trade Pulju and get someone they trust more.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Pulju is an inteteresting case. You swap his and e.g. Nuge's PP time and we have a still youngish player who scores 23 goals per full season, is solid defensively and makes statistically his linemates better.

Now the big question is will he ever get more PP time in the Oilers? If not I'm sure some GMs out there believe Puljujarvi could keep his PP production rate with more minutes. In that case the Oilers should trade Pulju and get someone they trust more.
Puljujärvi was given those opportunities. Earlier in the season, he and Hyman were rotated-out as the net-front guy on PP1.

What I found interesting, is that after the coaching change, we never saw him on even the second unit, let alone out there with the top guys again. Of course the Kane addition played into that situation, but I can’t help but wonder if Jay sees Jesse differently than Tippet did.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
As much as the guy posting what I replied to, about all players But hey please name the last American born player that signed here. Also please post all the Americans that don't have the Oilers on their NTC lists

You may need some reading comprehension classes if you think the phrase, "Edmonton is not an undesirable place to play." is the exact opposite of, "All Americans hate it here."

I'm pretty sure Yamo likes it here and plans on re-signing. I gather that quick fact will lead you to now move the goal posts on your bolded statement.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Calgary was allowed to not only sign Michael Stone after a buyout, but sign him after buying him out themselves with no intermediary involved.

Now, do I expect the same courtesy from Bettman? Not a chance in hell, but at least the precedent exists.
Yes, and this was a year later than the Orpik deal.

All the Oilers should have to do is not make any pre-arrangements with Keith. He could go to the Oilers, Calgary or Vancouver and still be close to his son.. It's his choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad