Rumor: Rumors Thread 2.0 Gagner To LA Rumors Heating Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Oh.

You mean MacTavish isn't the mouthbreathing idiot that some on this board make him out to be be? But, but, but...Kevin Lowe is still running the show!!!

Hilarious.

And yet you would have been happy to trade him for Clifford and retain a pile of his salary because he is small, soft, slow, useless, a princess, snow pants, etc etc etc etc etc

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
Don't see a fit there at all unless they plan on putting him on the wing.

Spezza, Turris, Zibanejad, and Smith firmly entrenched as the centres.

Zibanejad has played most of the season at wing and is currently playing with Michalek and Spezza.

They've been playing Smith as 3C and putting Pageau/Da Costa on the 4th.

If they got Gagner they could roll Spezza-Turris-Gagner-Smith down the middle.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Almost as hilarious as the fact that several teams are apparently interested in a player you've deemed useless.

But what do they know, eh?

Several teams are interested?

The great thing about interpretation is that ones view may differ from anothers. I read Dreger's tweet as "the Leafs have called on Gagner". I guess you read it as "several teams".

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
And yet you would have been happy to trade him for Clifford and retain a pile of his salary because he is small, soft, slow, useless, a princess, snow pants, etc etc etc etc etc

I'm not the General Manager of the Edmonton Oilers.

I'm a message board poster entitled to me opinion. Hey, just like you!

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

The great thing about interpretation is that ones view may differ from anothers. I read Dreger's tweet as "the Leafs have called on Gagner". I guess you read it as "several teams".

Even two teams showing interest is enough to submarine your narrative that Gagner is so terrible that the Oilers need to grab their ankles for another team to deign to take him off our hands.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Even two teams showing interest is enough to submarine your narrative that Gagner is so terrible that the Oilers need to grab their ankles for another team to deign to take him off our hands.

My opinion may be wrong. Does that mean I'm not entitled to it?
I may think your opinion is wrong.

I think any team trading for Gagner is stupid. My opinion.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
The real takeaway from Dreger's tweet is that MacTavish is one of the brightest executives in the league.

If he can con a team into taking Gagner and actually get an asset or two back...amazing.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Being entitled to an opinion doesn't mean you are entitled to not have said opinion challenged or questioned.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Why do people here think the Oilers HAVE to move Gagner? MacT is in the driver seat for this one for sure. Oilers are playing for pride right now. Gagners value can only go up. If he doesn't get the correct return for Gagner, no deal is done. If he doesn't move before TDL, then there's draft time. If not then I believe he'll have a rebound year next year and will be a good second line C for this team.

sdeol44

Sep 2, 2010

I had the same feeling on this.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Talk on twitter is it doesn't matter who he plays for.

So the Oilers could pick him up and create a pick out of nothing. :laugh:

Really a brilliant move if it comes to pass for the Oilers, if having his contract wasn't an issue, I would almost say the Oilers should do it because it would be a hilarious troll job.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Dreger's tweets are a breath of fresh air compared to every tweet being 'Gagner to LA at 50% salary retained for Clifford and a prospect*.

*note - LA's top 15 prospects are absolutely unavailable.

I wonder if he goes by 1pm, or if any one does.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You know I am a Gagner fan eh? What does that mean exactly?

Maybe you have me confused with Replacement. :D

Here's the reality....
I have noted Gagners deficiencies on numerous occasions on this board. As I have also noted he is a product of a failed team structure and serious roster imbalances.

That means I try to see past the fact that he has been put in a position to fail.
Gagner is 24 years old and he has not yet tapped his offensive potential. He has improved his faceoff skills and I see the defensive game following. Not every player follows the same development path.
I think he will be a legit 2nd line centre on the right team. The Oilers are not the right team. The Oilers have delayed or outright stalled the development of more than one player over the last 8-10 years....Gagner is part of that legacy.

So does he have value. I think its very clear that he does. We will find out shortly what the market believes Gagners value to be.

This board seems to be primarily divided into Gagner fanboys and haters and each side participates in these pointless circular arguments to prove they are right.

I try to take a step back when I look at this team and I do see it as a mess but that's a result of the sum of the parts as opposed to the parts themselves.

Gagner is still a valuable part IMO.

On this issue I agree with you entirely, especially the bolded.

The pragmatist in me says this:
  • MacT is no idiot
  • It would be really easy (and detrimental) to move Gags for peanuts
  • It WOULD HAVE BEEN really easy to move him for fair value if he'd been playing like he did last season
  • This season is a complete write off
  • There is no point (despite fan pressure) to improve this team *right now*. We need to get better before Sept 2014
  • This attention on Gags can only be a good thing.

So... if the right deal comes along, if LA acquiesces to our needs... make the deal. Otherwise, do what we can to showcase Gags and put the TDL or Draft Day as circled dates on your calendar.... someone will help us out with this "problem". There are plenty of teams in need of offence.

Also.. Gags played his best last year btwn Hall & Yak last year. They scored the winner last night. Why not run with that for 10 games and see whether we can help him regain his confidence. It could be the best thing for two of our most tradable (and depressed) assets.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town

"Oilerfan4life"
Do you like Gagner or not. Very hard to decode what you are trying to say.
Get rid of Gagner, or keep Gagner? You posts suggest neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad