Rumor: Rumors Thread 2.0 Gagner To LA Rumors Heating Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The first one was a bit of an experiment, this one will have less leeway to get off track. Keep the speculation to the speculation thread unless it is about an ACTUAL rumor from guys like Stauffer, Mackenzie, Friedman, etc. If you are unsure of the validity of the source please post it in the proposal thread.

Now as rumors become available they will be added to this post so that if you want the latest rumors you open the first page of this thread and there they are.

This will be my 2nd and final attempt at putting in the effort to try to make this work, so if people get off track or derail this thread expect a thread ban. My hope is that people will get the gist of this idea and that we can have two separate threads, if not then it's curtains for a rumors thread once and for all.

Rumors

LA interested in Sam Gagner
Sources: Bob Mackenzie, John Hoven (Mayor's Manor), Elliot Friedman, AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is it Gagner for sure that LA's interested in? Or is that speculation? Could Hemsky not be the one they're after?

Gagner seems to be the one that they're interested in, his name has been brought up by Bobby Mac as well as the Mayors Manor guy from LA.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It'd be nice if we included who said it in the "rumours" part if its not too much trouble

Sounds good, TBH it was more because I've been busy and braindead lately (more so than usual ;) ). Feel free to chime in with the rumors and the sources and I'll post them in the OP.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
What I had always wanted out of this thread was simply a place where rumours were posted, and then we could discuss scenarios on how the might come to play in the speculation thread? like the only thing you're ever allowed to post in here is a new rumour with source.

That way when I'm reading 10 pages of 'Gagner to La', I have a quick place to look up if that was an actual rumour, and where it came from.

Just a thought! :)

SchultzSquared*

Gagner seems to be the one that they're interested in, his name has been brought up by Bobby Mac as well as the Mayors Manor guy from LA.

Like I posted on the Kings board... don't know why it is Gags either and not say Schultz Sr... Dean likes his vet rental d-men... if he wants scoring for the PP Matt Moulson is out there and not a long term commitment... hell they have the ammunition to get Vanek if scoring is such a big problem there

Nick Schultz @ 50% for LAK 2nd makes a whack of sense if they trade for Moulson @ 50% for Martinez + 1st like I think they probably do...

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
On Stauffers show today he said a Clifford, Nolan, or King makes sense, Clifford being the guy he would want and they would want to send a contract back (probably salary reasons), and again re-iterates the salary retention thing and a farm contract would probable have to go their way as well.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
On Stauffers show today he said a Clifford, Nolan, or King makes sense, Clifford being the guy he would want and they would want to send a contract back (probably salary reasons), and again re-iterates the salary retention thing and a farm contract would probable have to go their way as well.

Interesting.

So we're looking at Clifford + a salary dump for Gagner and an AHLer?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If this is the case I would hope that the contract that we get back is of a useful player if we are retaining salary presumably beyond this season. As for the farm contract going their way, sounds fine by me as long as it isn't anyone of substance.

I presume Eklund's rumors doesn't match the criterions of this thread?

I'll let them be posted but I probably won't add them to the OP.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The big question is who is the salary dump?

Stoll, Greene, Regehr, Mitchell and Williams are the 3 non core players there that would fit that criteria IMO. All of them are at or above $3 million/season. Perhaps someone like Fraser? LA has $3,765,262 in deadline space so perhaps we could be looking at a Fraser or Frattin instead of one of the bigger fish?

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Interesting.

To put things in perspective

King has 2 points in last 14
Clifford has not had a point since dec 14(24 games)
Nolan has 1 assist in last 20 w 3 healthy scratches

Has to be better offers out there, I can be said that they bring size....but not much else

I would almost prefer the salary dumps of Stoll and Greene if they came with new contract extensions....Stoll on the PP winning face offs and playing the point with his big RH shot.....Greene would help as well

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting.

macT should be fired the second after making such an atrocious trade... gagner is a legit 2nd line center on 75% of the teams in the league..... clifford is a 3rd line winger on 25% of the teams, and a 4th line winger on the other 75%

trading a 2nd liner for a 4th liner is crazy-talk

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
macT should be fired the second after making such an atrocious trade... gagner is a legit 2nd line center on 75% of the teams in the league..... clifford is a 3rd line winger on 25% of the teams, and a 4th line winger on the other 75%

trading a 2nd liner for a 4th liner is crazy-talk

Last edited:

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
By including Greene ($2,950,000 cap hit) and Nick Shultz at 50% retained ( $1,750,000), the Kings get a minor upgrade going into the playoffs and $1.2 mill in cap space saving

Gagner @ 4.8 minus 1,1 for Clifford equals a 3.7 mill diffference. Including Greene and Shultz reduces this to 2.5 mill which the Kings have space for.

The trade would have to look like Gagner, Shultz (50% retained) for Greene , Clifford, and a pick

Lowball

McRebuild
Aug 27, 2004
Cowtown
Tough to see a fit for Gagner to LA during the season, without the Oilers retaining some salary and taking back less experienced players. I would expect Toffoli plus one of Clifford, King, Frattin, or Nolan in return, and retain $1.3M of Gagner's cap hit.

I don't think Gagner will be traded until the offseason, but we'll find out soon enough...!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If they are moving Gagner there it would probably be something like a Stoll + Clifford for Gagner + Larsen (contract filler) swap.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
We're here to discuss things, I mean it's an internet message board. I think it should be fine to discuss actual rumors in this thread, otherwise I'll just stick to my twitter feed.

It's the insane/inane proposals that come out of the blue and solve all the world's problems that are the most annoying.

I've read some pretty decent articles (lowetide, willis, etc) suggesting getting someone like King or lesser lights like Clifford, AND retaining salary for Gagner would just be idiotic. We're talking about maybe at best a 3rd line spot for King and likely 4th line for Clifford. I mean, I guess it's better than Joensuu, but it's not going to change the complexion of the team.

And then having to retain (25%? 50%?) of Gagner's salary when Mac T is going to have to overspend on getting a UFA defenceman or two here, and having guys like Hendricks on the books is just going to be difficult.

Unless LA is willing to give us (ha ha) Voynov or Muzzin, or something like King AND Muzzin, I'd honestly just rather wait until the offseason.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I forgot to add in the OP, let's keep the whining about this thread to a minimum. It will never be perfect even if it continues beyond thread 2.0 and some will not like the format, but it is what it is.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
If we are not getting close to Gagner's value I would rather keep him. Then wait until the draft when teams have cap space.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I guess the question is, does that make us better? I'm not so sure. Can Stoll still play?

I think he's still got game, the more important question is, does he have enough game to play with the Oilers' top-4 wingers. I think the Oilers can get away with a guy like Stoll or Ott in their #2 center hole because there's So much talent on the wings around them.

Edit: All Stoll has to do is help dig out the puck, play good/helpful defense and go to the net, the talent around will make things happen.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
It's disappointing to hear Stauffer telegraphing Clifford for Gagner - and he's the guy Stauffer would want??? Compared to Dwight King? King is the best of the three guys Stauffer mentioned and it's not close.

This season King is playing about 15 minutes a game has 11 goals and is a big plus player. He's the biggest of the three players too.

I'm disheartened to hear that if Gagner is moved to the Kings it will likely be for something like this (according to Stauffer):

To Edmonoton: Kyle Clifford and prospect (Linden Vey I would hope)

To LA: Sam Gagner (Oilers retain 20% of his salary moving forward) and Andrew Miller (to move a contract)

That's such a sad deal for a guy who had 38 points in 48 games last year - albeit with production in bunches. I think Gagner will actually produce at a really nice clip (being 50 points per season) with a change of scenery. Clifford? He'll be a 4th line LW - players that should be absolutely easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad