Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2020-21 Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If true he could've said it when wang/snow were in charge and Malkin/Trotz/Lou changed his mind or...

The Isles offered him the best deal.
Yes, everyone has schooled me already. When I heard Whitney's comment I made the incorrect assumption that Eberle's comment was made at around the time of the resigning, but clearly that was not true. Wish I'd never mentioned it.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yes, everyone has schooled me already. Wish I'd never mentioned it.

Nah, it was an interesting piece on the show. I just listened to that part this morning on my way to work and I would've posted about it if you didn't.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
My assumption was that Eberle told Whitney he wasn’t going to resign when he was first traded to the isles in the strome swap. But he was won over.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Why do you suppose there is a holdup on re-upping our players? Still working on moving out more salary?

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Why do you suppose there is a holdup on re-upping our players? Still working on moving out more salary?

um, yes. 9 million in cap space isn't inking all five of Barzal, Pulock, Martin, Greene and Brassard (the first two RFA's and the last three UFA's we've been rumored to be bringing back)

Reactions: Thrasymachus

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I mean I dont think this is that big of a deal that it warranted a defense from you. But the fact is for those of us who could not hear the audio when these posts were made, there was no indication that this was essentially hearsay from 3 years ago. The impression was that Jordan Eberle went on a podcast this week and knocked his own organization. Maybe you dont know too much about the law, but there is a huge difference between someone saying someone else said something and hearing that person directly say it themselves.

I'm just appreciating the fresh fodder that has consumed a few pages. The echo chamber was getting quite stale (and annoying).

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
um, yes. 9 million in cap space isn't inking all five of Barzal, Pulock, Martin, Greene and Brassard (the first two RFA's and the last three UFA's we've been rumored to be bringing back)
Isn't it strange how many people doesn't see or know this, because this is the bottom line. There is only 9 million to work with. Maybe we should ask for a sticky with all the Isles cap info or start a separate thread?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i think LL likes to keep his cards to his chest until the last minute, so as to not reveal his plan.

i would guess that Martin, Greene and Schneider, are lined up, waiting for the last domino to fall, before officially being announced.

i don't see Knuckles or Brassard being re-upped. these two can easily be improved upon, IMO.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Eberle is lucky the Islanders overpaid him because IMO no other team would have given a one dimensional offensive player that kind of salary. Term of the contract is what gets me the most. IMO Guys like him should just try and fly under the radar.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Eberle is lucky the Islanders overpaid him because IMO no other team would have given a one dimensional offensive player that kind of salary. Term of the contract is what gets me the most. IMO Guys like him should just try and fly under the radar.

If Jeff Skinner is getting 9 M a year, Gallagher is getting 6.5 M a year, and Josh Anderson is getting the same 5.5. M a year that Eberle gets, then the likelihood of your opinion here is next to nil.

Why? Because your opinion is based on your feelings about Eberle and NOT on a realistic evaluation of the free agent market and players of Eberle's category.

Furthermore, Eberle was a UFA on a market that was actually somewhat lacking in top six right wings last summer to boot.

So, taking last summer's market into consideration, someone out there would have likely been ready to give him a contract very similar to the one Gallagher just got.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If Jeff Skinner is getting 9 M a year, Gallagher is getting 6.5 M a year, and Josh Anderson is getting the same 5.5. M a year that Eberle gets, then the likelihood of your opinion here is next to nil.

Why? Because your opinion is based on your feelings about Eberle and NOT on a realistic evaluation of the free agent market and players of Eberle's category.

Furthermore, Eberle was a UFA on a market that was actually somewhat lacking in top six right wings last summer to boot.

Heck, taking last summer's market into consideration, someone out there would have likely been ready to give him a contract very similar to the one Gallagher just got.

I'm glad you like Eberle a lot more than I do. I felt he should have been dealt at the trade deadline.
I can list several free agents who get paid a lot less than Eberle and are much more valuable.
If another team wanted to give Jordan the same contract I would have let him walk. I just don't feel like that was the situation. To me Eberle type players are more replaceable than a Devon Toews.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I'm glad you like Eberle a lot more than I do. I felt he should have been dealt at the trade deadline.
I can list several free agents who get paid a lot less than Eberle and are much more valuable.
If another team wanted to give Jordan the same contract I would have let him walk. I just don't feel like that was the situation. To me Eberle type players are more replaceable than a Devon Toews.

If you like eberle or not...he is a top 6 F that makes 5.25mil. Which is actually a really cheap contract.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

@Chapin Landvogt did not actually express any likeness for Eberle. Just provided market comparable players/contracts that suggest Eberle is the kind of player that gets that kind of contract.

Personally, at the time I had hoped Lamoriello could have locked up Lee over Eberle. Then enter the offseason trying to get Panarin. Leave Eberle or a similar player as the fall back if failing to get Panarin.

Reactions: periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad